need some help

bumble12

We have the same scenario with late afternoon flight out of San Juan. We have some OBC with Celebrity and were thinking to take an excursion with airport drop off after the cruise. I believe it is 3 hours long, they give you a tour of Old San Juan and drop you off at the airport around Noon.

We have done X tour and airport drop offs in a few destinations and found them a great way to kill a few hours at a reasonable cost.

I think Celebrity have a time limit (your flight must be after....) so check on that. As we were flying from SJ at 1pm and were booked on AA business flights we decided to just go to the airport and wait in the business lounge. Shame it did not exist! Very boring few hours!

Definitely consider the ship tour. It's great to do stuff on your own but not when you're hauling your luggage with you. If you find someplace to hold it for you, then you have to go back and get it . . . it's all just more bother than I want do deal with.

With a 3:30 flight, you'll need to be at the airport around 1:30 - there's an added complication of the FDA x-ray of your luggage before you check it at the desk. In the end, you won't have that much time to kill and hopping on a bus provided by the ship seems like a good way to do it.

A few years ago we disembarked the Summit in Puerto Rico and had a late afternoon flight home to Newark on Jet Blue arranged through Choice Air. We decided on a X excursion (had shipboard credit to use) that was supposed to take our luggage with us on a bus to tour the rainforest and drop us and our luggage at the airport in time for our flight. First thing that happened after disembarking and going through customs/immigration was we collected our luggage and took it to the excursion bus. Instead of the luggage going with us as the brochure said, they loaded it on a flatbed truck to take it to the airport and loaded us onto a bus to the rainforest. The tour was very nice. After the tour, the bus took us to the airport. Driver asked everyone what airline they were on, then drove past the Jet Blue terminal and refused to stop. Dropped us about 1/2 mile away and refused to take us back. We got off the bus and found our luggage sitting unattended (along with everyone else's on the bus) on the sidewalk in the pouring rain. We found our soaking, sopping wet ruined luggage, and then because it was pouring, no porters were to be found. We, or should I say I had to wheel the luggage outside in the rain (husband recovering from a back issue) 1/2 mile to our terminal. Then we had to open our luggage and check that nothing had been added (or subtracted) from it before checking it into our airline. Amazing, since as we've all heard for years now, you shouldn't leave your luggage unattended and should report any unattended bags you see! I hope all the others on our bus also checked their contents before handing them over to the airlines. Needless to say, we will never do that type of X excursion again. If you have a late afternoon flight, keep your bag with you and book your own trip!

Edited by Luvcrusn
sp.

As of last week (the first RT San Juan cruise for the season), there were 2 tours offered. One went to El Yunque Rain Forest and the other did something else. I tried to find the info. in my paperwork, but I don't see it now.

We did one of these in NJ and had an excellent experience. I can't comment from experience on the SJU ones though.

After disembarkation from the Summit, we caught a cab to the Barrachina Restaurant - as a poster had mentioned earlier in this thread - checked our luggage with them and spent several wonderful hours in Old San Juan. There is no obligation to have lunch at Barrachina for them to check your luggage, but we did - after touring about, we returned to the Barrachina, had a fabulous lunch there, amazing pina coladas and seafood! - then got a cab to the airport. They took fabulous care of our luggage, I highly recommend this plan!

After disembarkation from the Summit, we caught a cab to the Barrachina Restaurant - as a poster had mentioned earlier in this thread - checked our luggage with them and spent several wonderful hours in Old San Juan. There is no obligation to have lunch at Barrachina for them to check your luggage, but we did - after touring about, we returned to the Barrachina, had a fabulous lunch there, amazing pina coladas and seafood! - then got a cab to the airport. They took fabulous care of our luggage, I highly recommend this plan!

Wow! I take back my earlier answer about a ship tour. After the creepy stuff Luvcrusn wrote and considering that the OP wants to visit Old San Juan, this is perfect. We love Barrachina - the birthplace of the pina colada! Just be sure to allow enough airport check in time.

I agree. That is a great choice. There is so much to walk around and see in OSJ that you can do this and not pay nearly as much as an excursion and then be on your time. You can get a cab there and then a cab to the airport.

As of last week (the first RT San Juan cruise for the season), there were 2 tours offered. One went to El Yunque Rain Forest and the other did something else. I tried to find the info. in my paperwork, but I don't see it now.

We did one of these in NJ and had an excellent experience. I can't comment from experience on the SJU ones though.

The El Yunque Rain Forest is the one I wrote about below. Surprisingly they are still offering it. They bought me new luggage and refunded our cost of the excursion.