Sailing with propulsion problems?

ucjes

So I'm a first time cruise and and leaving on the liberty on Saturday. We have been delayed because of propulsion issues. They say it's perfectly safe but it makes me nervous. How likely is that we could get suck out in the ocean?

If you WANT to worry, you should consider the probability that anything which you can possibly imagine going wrong will ultimately actually go wrong. We have never heard of a cruise ship where both azipods fell off: but no one can say that such a thing could never happen.

So why not start thinking that it will finally happen on your cruise?

Also, it is conceivable that a meteor might strike your ship.

I am sure other posters can suggest additional possible problems which could impact your cruise.

Actually, the Liberty is propeller and rudder, not pods. The problems that the Liberty is experiencing now is not a propulsion problem it is a problem with power generating. The ship cannot generate enough power to supply full power to the propulsion system required for full speed. From the statements I've seen, there is nothing wrong with the propulsion, but they are repairing one of the 6 alternators that the diesel engines drive to generate electrical power for the ship. Unless the ship were to have 4 of the 6 engine/alternator units fail, the propellers would still be turning, and you would be heading for port.

ok. i'm just a worrier and it's my first cruise. you seem like you have a lot of experience with ships. you were in the navy? I've been looking for someone to tell me that this is not a big deal and it happens all the time. azipods and propulsion is new to me so I've been trying to read up.

ok. well that makes me feel better. I just wanted someone to explain that to me with some sort of knowledge in this area. thanks!

Sorry for the kidding - just wanted to emphasize that there is really minimal REAL risk to be concerned about. Ships generally have redundancy when it comes to key elements in their operation. Their decision-makers are also not inclined to take risks. Consider the many dozens of cruise ships which sail every week - and how few real problems are ever experienced.

We sailed on a Princess ship that was lacking propulsion from one engine. They tried to make a repair to it before we left Port Everglades (about five hours after scheduled sailing). Whatever they did to the engine did not fix it completely. We ended up being several hours late for St. Thomas. But we made all of our other stops on time in spite of the engine problems and made it back to Port Everglades on time as well.

So I'm a first time cruise and and leaving on the liberty on Saturday. We have been delayed because of propulsion issues. They say it's perfectly safe but it makes me nervous. How likely is that we could get suck out in the ocean?

You won't get stuck out in the ocean, you will just be moving a bit slower. Not slow enough that you will notice... this from Carnival,

The ship’s next two sailings have also been altered—the Nov. 5 sailing will no longer stop in Progreso, Mexico, and will instead spend a full day in Cozumel. The Nov. 10 sailing will skip Cozumel and instead call in Progreso. Carnival is giving each guest $50 in onboard credit along with a 25% discount on future sailings..

Use your OBC for a few cocktails and all well be well. happy cruising