Cell Phone Question

KCcruzor

My wife is wanting to make a couple quick phone calls/texts to our worry-wort 12-year-old, who is staying at home. Are we able to do so (T-Mobile post-paid plan)? Does the phone have to be set to any special setting, considering we will be in Cozumel and Grand Cayman?

Thanks in advance!

KCcruzor

The BEST way to do this is for both parties to have Facebook Messenger. You can purchase the social media plan on the ship and use Messenger. Alternatively (this doesn't work for voice), iMessage is included in the Social Media plan, as well. Whatsapp is also included, and others have reported success using that (I have not personally used it).

Edited by Schoifmom

My wife is wanting to make a couple quick phone calls/texts to our worry-wort 12-year-old, who is staying at home. Are we able to do so (T-Mobile post-paid plan)? Does the phone have to be set to any special setting, considering we will be in Cozumel and Grand Cayman?

Thanks in advance!

KCcruzor

Today, most phones can be used internationally, but you will be roaming. You can use it on the ship, or any of the places you said, but each location, will have a different price tag attached. The best place to ask this question is at your T-Mobile store where they can tell you all your options.

If you have a plan that includes the 141 countries, Mexico is like using your phone at home. No extra charges for data, voice, or text. I don't think Grand Cayman is one of those countries. So it would be .20 a minute for voice. Either incoming or outgoing texts are free and data is not expensive but not cheap.

Regular T mobile service definitely works well in Cozumel. I used it a few years ago there to send texts and calls back home to check in. If you are on one of the pre paid plans you'll need to read the contract, I think they also work in Mexico. I would go the FB messenger route for on the ship. I just did it on the Triumph this past week to keep in touch with DH since he stayed home this trip. It worked perfect.

I was able to send him a few messages each night before bed and during down time through out the day, just to touch base and he was able to let me know if anything was going on at home that I needed to know about or just to chat if he got lonely. I will be purchasing it on all future cruises when that we go on separately. He knew if he sent me a message I may not see it for a while, I wasn't glued to my phone, I was on vacation, it worked out great for us.

My wife is wanting to make a couple quick phone calls/texts to our worry-wort 12-year-old, who is staying at home.

Thanks in advance!

KCcruzor

:D:D:D LOL- Sooner or later, the kids have to accept that the parents will leave home and they no longer have control over the parents. I know; my 33 year old daughter still makes me phone home every night to report in when we are road tripping.:p

Thanks in advance!

KCcruzor

I have tmobile and it uses your plan minutes in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Mahagony Bay. Went we got into port and turned off airplane mode we got a text telling us our plan worked

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Today, most phones can be used internationally, but you will be roaming. You can use it on the ship, or any of the places you said, but each location, will have a different price tag attached. The best place to ask this question is at your T-Mobile store where they can tell you all your options.

No cell service except CCL when at sea.

If you use your cell phone at sea on the ship. You will have to pay like $2.00 a minute to the ship satellite company for a phone call. That will go on your monthly cell phone bill. Pay as you go phone will not work on the ship

If you use your cell phone at sea on the ship. You will have to pay like $2.00 a minute to the ship satellite company for a phone call. That will go on your monthly cell phone bill. Pay as you go phone will not work on the ship

Cellular at Sea is $2.49/ minute. Calling from your cabin is $1.99/minute.

Also, I have heard of some horror stories where one is charged enormous roaming charges, even if not using their phone (simply by having it on). What is needed to avoid this? Do you change to "Airplane Mode" or some other setting?

Thanks again!

KCcruzor

Also, I have heard of some horror stories where one is charged enormous roaming charges, even if not using their phone (simply by having it on). What is needed to avoid this? Do you change to "Airplane Mode" or some other setting?

Thanks again!

KCcruzor

Turn off Data Roaming and you will be good