Thinking of a river cruise

SurfSkiPaddler

My wife and I have done one cruise before, to Alaska and the Inside Passage. We had a great time, but I was mildly seasick for the part between the tip of Vancouver Island and the entrance to the inside passage, although not so bad on the way back.

We'd like to do another cruise, but I don't want to get seasick, so we've been thinking of doing a European river cruise. I guess we're the right demographic because Viking and National Geographic Expeditions both send us catalogs all the time. We're more interested in culture and history than lying around on a beach.

Is Viking a good option? Are there other good options? How do you choose a line and a cruise?

My wife and I have done one cruise before, to Alaska and the Inside Passage. We had a great time, but I was mildly seasick for the part between the tip of Vancouver Island and the entrance to the inside passage, although not so bad on the way back.

We'd like to do another cruise, but I don't want to get seasick, so we've been thinking of doing a European river cruise. I guess we're the right demographic because Viking and National Geographic Expeditions both send us catalogs all the time. We're more interested in culture and history than lying around on a beach.

Is Viking a good option? Are there other good options? How do you choose a line and a cruise?

You'll find that most river cruise lines offer a similar product. The variations are how much they cost, and the quality of the boat you are on.

We used Vantage for our Grand European trip. And we've booked with them again for China.

Viking is probably the "biggest" line currently. Biggest in that they have lots of ships doing the same trips throughout the year.

We researched several different lines - Viking, Vantage, AMA, Tauk among them, and chose based on cost, cruise dates, and what the specific itinerary was.

• 2 weeks later...