Galveston TX Embarcation Hell

condorchristi

Our home port is Galveston and I have to say I'm anticipating shorter lines just based on how many of y'all aren't going to return. We leave and return there 3 or 4 times every year and don't have nearly the problems described here. Of course not having gone out of any ports other than Florida probably clouds my opinion. We arrive pretty early, usually before 11. I drop off the wife and bags, park across the street at Galveston Park & Cruise. Walk over and usually there's no line outside at all. Inside we just check in, sit down and chill. We're always aboard in plenty of time for lunch. We get off early with our bags and the Customs line, while sometimes long, moves along. People watching is always good. I guess we just leave our unrealistic expectations at home when we cruise and it usually ensures that we have a good time even when we have to stand in line.

It's been awhile since we cruised from Galveston. In the past, we arrived around 2 - 2:30 time frame in order to avoid the long lines.

What time does the new Royal Caribbean terminal open? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Edited by JimAOk1945

You are very welcome and thanks for the kind comments. Unfortunately I probably have learned more from my erroneous comments than my correct ones have helped others. :D ;)

^ I'm a big fan too. :D You are always so gracious when being corrected. I am learning a lot from you, and I mean that seriously.

Galveston is a terrible port for embarkation. We got there early and dropped our bags off curbside then went to the parking lot. There was a line about 400 deep for the bus back to the port terminal and there were only 2 buses operating. It turned out there was another bus for those who didn't have luggage - and that was us, so we were able to get on that bus under the icy glares of those with luggage - most of the 400 other passengers in line. Otherwise, we would have been standing in that line for hours and hours. Getting off went much better as we self-disembarked early and got right on a bus to the parking lot. However our bus driver got into an argument with some women on our bus about where they were sitting - the bus driver told everyone to go as far back to sit as they could and these two women decided to sit at the front and the bus driver told them to move and they argued back, which made for an uncomfortable situation on the bus. Fortunately our car was parked at the first spot where the bus stopped in the parking lot. Even if it wasn't, we would have got off immediately.

Of course not having gone out of any ports other than Florida probably clouds my opinion.

Either that or you have a string of good luck to be envied. ;)

I'm trying to think of all the ports I've embarked from.....Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, Tampa, San Juan, San Diego, Rome, Venice, Seward, Vancouver and Galveston.

My experience in San Diego comes close, but Galveston still takes the prize with me for worst embarkation port.

Jim I'm not sure what time it opens but we usually get down there around 1030. Aqua I don't know about good luck but given that we don't have to fly, and have a short drive to the port in Galveston, that leaves room for a lot of minor inconvenience like sitting a little traffic while in my air conditioned pickup listening to music. I just remind myself that a bad day on vacation is way better than a good day in the office.

Jim I'm not sure what time it opens but we usually get down there around 1030. Aqua I don't know about good luck but given that we don't have to fly, and have a short drive to the port in Galveston, that leaves room for a lot of minor inconvenience like sitting a little traffic while in my air conditioned pickup listening to music. I just remind myself that a bad day on vacation is way better than a good day in the office.

Thanks for answering my question. It's great to get reliable information from a local resident. Have a great cruise wherever you go next. [emoji106]

Is that the multi-level parking garage across the street? I might take you up on that advice. That would eliminate a good portion of the problems there. The line of traffic to get into the port just to drop off luggage was the worst part of my experience. That alone was over an hour.

Galveston Park N Cruise (GPNC) is NOT the multi-level parking garage, but is right next to it. GPNC is a group of empty warehouse type buildings with marked off parking spaces inside each. Once the buildings are full, the doors are closed and locked until the cruise returns. We have parked there and already have reservations there for our cruise in May. Depending on what time you arrive and which building you park in, I would estimate you will walk no more than 2-3 blocks over to the terminals, directly across the street. We did not attempt to drop off luggage before parking. If you have good wheeled luggage and don't over pack and overload yourself, it's not a problem at all. Hope this helps.

Just got back yesterday from cruising in/out of Galveston. We arrived around 1020 AM on embarkation day and were on board in less than 20 minutes. During disembarkation it took no longer than 25 minutes from leaving the ship to actually walking out with luggage in tow.

Just got back yesterday from cruising in/out of Galveston. We arrived around 1020 AM on embarkation day and were on board in less than 20 minutes. During disembarkation it took no longer than 25 minutes from leaving the ship to actually walking out with luggage in tow.

This is great information. Thanks for sharing. [emoji106]