Not liking Carnival's berth maximization policies

nealstuber

I don't know how long it's been a rule, but up until a couple of years ago, all available cabins we booked, I was usually looking for a balcony with a nearby inside for the kids. Never worried about either of being moved. When booking our first cruise in carnival after a five year hiatus, we were part of a large group and I first became aware that they were only showing cabins that matches the number of pax as available to book. My TA said the restrictions relaxed after final payment and we saw that the did when we added another cabinet to our group at the last minute.

I really didn't understand that they would routinely move you for this reason, but I did see a thread on it some months ago.

Have seen some bad reviews about connecting cabin noise with the coves, and we had a negative experience with a loud TV by our connecting door recently so that was my first consideration. We picked the aft most cove on the port side, because it would also have have the neighbors. Basically booked this one off my IPhone and never even thought about looking at what all the little symbols meant.

Anyway, I hope they will RESERVE their right to move me to anything but another cove. When we sign a contract with a cruise line we know we give them some extraordinary rights, but we are use to them reserving use of most of those right due to unforeseen or extra ordinary circumstances.

They also have the right to throw us off at any port for any valid reason. They could save a buck by leaving half the passengers in Cozumel, by I don't think most would consider maximizing revenue a valid reason for exercising a reserved right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have learned what could happen if we take a cabin that we could be moved out of.

A few years ago using ES a few weeks before a cruise we upgraded our selves from inside to o/v.

When we went to our cabin realized it was large handicapped o/v. If they needed that cabin for a handicapped person they would have had every right to move us elsewhere.

Since than we do look more carefully at cabin selection.

How do you KNOW how many people your selected cabin will hold? I've never had an issue.... but, I would like to know how to check on how many people my cabin choice will hold...

Thanks!

GT

Look on a deck plan. Certain symbols mean certain things. If there aren't any, it's a standard 2 person cabin. Except HC cabins sometimes aren't marked.

Look on a deck plan. Certain symbols mean certain things. If there aren't any, it's a standard 2 person cabin. Except HC cabins sometimes aren't marked.

Thanks a BUNCH. I just checked and am amazed that I never noticed that before.... Holy, some fit *FIVE* people... I certainly would not want to do THAT...

Thank you for the info!

GT

Thanks a BUNCH. I just checked and am amazed that I never noticed that before.... Holy, some fit *FIVE* people... I certainly would not want to do THAT...

Thank you for the info!

GT

Hahahahahaha! We did it before in a Family Veranda on Celebrity. The cabin was huge with 2 BR, a living/dining area, and balcony. It was awesome. Only thing I wish is that it had more than 1 bathroom. But I would never attempt that in a smaller cabin.

You're welcome [emoji4]

Edited by firemanbobswife

Well there would be no way of knowing what 4 person cabins only had 2 or 3 in them without having a TA, or someone like a PVP at Carnival actually go into the system and look. But if it meant being able to bring my family (like when the boys were too little to stay in their own cabin) vs not and there were only 2 or 3 people in a 4 person cabin and the ship wasn't at capacity, then yes, I would expect them to be moved. On any line.

I wouldn't purposefully seek out to move someone, but if Carnival says there is space for the 4 of us in one cabin, then I'm going to take it. It's not like the other party is going to be booted off the ship totally. Again, it's a risk they took knowing it's a possibility. Sometimes a roll of the dice can pay off. Sometimes not. And yes I would feel the same way if the rolls were reversed. It's not a gamble I'm willing to take, however, so I plan accordingly.

"Again, it's a risk they took knowing it's a possibility. Sometimes a roll of the dice can pay off. Sometimes not."

Im not following you. On every cruise we have ever been on we carefully examine the deck plans and pick a cabin based on our own criteria. We are confirmed for that cabin. Occupancy has never even entered our mind. We only sail X, for many years; have never heard this being an issue, ever.

Are you saying If my wife and I were confirmed for cabin 8212 on your line and that cabin happens to have pull down bunks we could be evicted? I believe y'all but frankly am dubious on the particulars as you presented them and as I understand them.

Edited by PoppyandNana

"Again, it's a risk they took knowing it's a possibility. Sometimes a roll of the dice can pay off. Sometimes not."

Im not following you. On every cruise we have ever been on we carefully examine the deck plans and pick a cabin based on our own criteria. We are confirmed for that cabin. Occupancy has never even entered our mind. We only sail X, for many years; have never heard this being an issue, ever.

Are you saying If my wife and I were confirmed for cabin 8212 on your line and that cabin happens to have pull down bunks we could be evicted? I believe y'all but frankly am dubious on the particulars as you presented them and as I understand them.

If you choose a cabin that holds more people than you have, then yes, you can be moved if they need that cabin for a group that can fill the berths. So say you have cabin 8212 and there are 2 of you. I want to book and there are 4 of us so I call my PVP at Carnival. He says no problem, I have a cabin that will hold 4. I now have your old cabin 8212 and you get relocated. It doesn't happen quite that quick, but you get the idea.

It can also happen on Celebrity whether you are aware of it or not. I have sailed them as well. Your TA, CSR, or whoever you use to book should be pointing that out.

Edited to add that I believe they will only move someone if all the other 4 person cabins are filled with no vacancies showing. I could be wrong about this, but I don't think they would just move someone or voluntarily give up which cabins aren't at max capacity and let us "pick". But I can't say for sure.

Edited by firemanbobswife

This practice is almost universal across the mainstream lines. From Celebrity's ticket contract:

"6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination,

lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Carrier shall not be liable for any

claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement,

substitution or deviation. "

Bolding mine

As noted before, they will only do this if all available cabins of the required capacity are already booked, and you are in a cabin with capacity above your occupancy. It's rare, but does happen, especially at times of high family travel (school vacations).

Edited by chengkp75

They can and they will move you. Some travel agents try to bypass that by first berthing 4 guests in a quad of which 2 guests are fictional.

Cancel these 2 and you have your desired cabin just for the two of you.

However there is a department called Inventory Management keeping track of popular sailings (holidays, school vacations, special cruises) that will move you. Happened to our group within 2 hours of booking.

How do you know how many people a room holds when you book? WE have a cove booked on the Dream next month and would hate to be moved because we specifically picked our room based on recommendations on others who have stayed in it.

If you're not researching ahead of time, you won't know (i.e. totally relying on your PVP or TA to pick your room). And yes sometimes they will haphazardly book you in a room that accompanies more than you have in your party. But if you research beforehand then check out the symbol key on whatever site you're on. On Carnival's deck plans, rooms with asterick marks are triples, quads have a solid black square. Then there are separate symbols that tell you whether or not the beds can be separated, if the room has an interior connecting door, etc.

I've personally booked a solo in a triple on Oasis Class . . . and more than once.

No challenge whatsoever in making that reservation. :confused:

A solo traveler doesn't have the same restriction. You can book any cabin you want. Only Norwegian has solo-specific cabins as far as I know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Another difficulty comes up when trying to book many cabins in a row. A couple years ago we needed 7 balcony cabins in a row as we were planning to open all the balconies to each other (now that's Reaaally a 'bowling alley' balcony!!).

Even though it was a year in advance of the cruise, we had a somewhat difficult time just finding 7 available in a row that were unoccupied. Now try finding 7 in a row that were all double occupancy ?! It wasn't happening ! If I remember correctly, we ended up with two of the cabins in our row with occupancy of 3 or 4 instead of only two. The good thing was, it was in February so not a lot of families looking for quad rooms, and moving our cabins never came up.

When we use to have a PVP to help book, she didn't always check occupancy rates for the cabins when booking our cruises. However now that we just do our own online, you enter the number of occupants in cabin and it will only allow you to look at cabins that are available based on that. This was just our experience based on booking, some PVP's might be more thorough. But they should let someone know ahead of time that this could possibly happen.

You know how you avoid this problem? Book a cabin that holds all the people in your stateroom, or accept the risk. My family has three rooms in a row, and even though we are a double, double, triple the rooms are a triple, triple, quad, so we know it's a possibility that we will get moved. Don't act surprised that Carnival would want to maximize their profits... and if you want a specific room or area, then book the one that fits your group; and if there are none, then pick something else or assume the risk.

On a side note, my TA wasn't able to book the trio of cabins, but I could do it online, so I did it online, and then was able to transfer the reservation to my TA by just holding the rooms for free. She was then able to apply the deposit for our original rooms (in a part of the ship I didn't want) to the new ones where I did want to be.

I know it's been discussed here before: if there's an extra bed in your room Carnival can move you even though you've paid a higher rate than a guarantee to pick your cabin.

We're huge Cove fans and booking just 50 days out, picked the only non connecting room left that also has a great location for us.

When we received our confirmation we were in another location , connecting room right by the elevators. Emailed the TA to get the cabin we asked for as it was still available and they changed it, but now we have this warning that they can move us if they need to.

Wasn't wild about the other location, but I'd be real ticked to end up just above the Lani in a regular balcony.

Emailed the agent back asking her to put No upgrades on the reservation, but now I'm thinking I should ask them to change it back to insure we get a cove.

Anyway, it's just another hassle that was not part of the cruising experience just a couple of years ago, but I guess the bean counters think it's good business.

You know how you avoid this problem? Book a cabin that holds all the people in your stateroom, or accept the risk. My family has three rooms in a row, and even though we are a double, double, triple the rooms are a triple, triple, quad, so we know it's a possibility that we will get moved. Don't act surprised that Carnival would want to maximize their profits... and if you want a specific room or area, then book the one that fits your group; and if there are none, then pick something else or assume the risk. .

I can still do either at this point, but I'm not happy that I have to. Others have pointed out that it's something that all cruise-lines have had in their contracts, but, it's not something I've been impacted by when selecting at least 35 cabins for my kids and I including at least 15 on carnival.

From my perspective, Carnival only recently started to exercise this RESERVED right and I'm not happy it. And certainly have the right to voice my concern here.

Only other Cove options are adjoining cabins which I don't want. But I might still switch to one to avoid being moved from a Cove... but then what happens if a family of six comes along and has to have a adjoining cabins and has to have one of the the ones I've already paid for?

I expect contractually reserved rights to be used to address the uncontrollable, not to fit the 3897 passenger in my cabin.

Edited by nealstuber

I can still do either at this point, but I'm not happy that I have to. Others have pointed out that it's something that all cruise-lines have had in their contracts, but, it's not something I've been impacted by when selecting at least 35 cabins for my kids and I including at least 15 on carnival.

From my perspective, Carnival only recently started to exercise this RESERVED right and I'm not happy it. And certainly have the right to voice my concern here.

Only other Cove options are adjoining cabins which I don't want. But I might still switch to one to avoid being moved from a Cove... but then what happens if a family of six comes along and has to have a adjoining cabins and has to have one of the the ones I've already paid for?

I expect contractually reserved rights to be used to address the uncontrollable, not to fit the 3897 passenger in my cabin.

You sound a bit unreasonable to me. In order to get the exact type of cabin you want where you want it, you need to book early. Not 50 days out from a holiday cruise. Had you done so, you could have had your pick of coves in a good location. I'm sure there's more than one.

Yes you have a right to voice your opinion. Others have a right to point out how you can avoid this all together. You've chosen to roll the dice yet still complain about a remote possibility. Maybe the cabin means that much. I know it has to me, but I don't find fault with the policy and complain when I choose to take my chances, because I know I can't have it both ways. They don't move passengers willy nilly. There's no guarantee that a group of passengers will be accommodated last minute. I wouldn't get myself worked up about it.

And just because your particular booking situation led to finding out this policy now doesn't mean it's new. It's not. And on occasion, exercised.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not everybody can "choose" to book early, vacation time has to be approved, life circumstances and such and as a point of fact, I if I were to be displaced, it would be by someone who booked even later than I did.

This cruise caught initially caught our eye because there were over a dozen Coves available. As it turns out I could be moved from any of them because they are either connecting or could accommodate more people.

When I book a minivan for myself, I don't get moved to a sedan because a family of six came along, if I book two queens in a hotel to be in a suite, I don't expect to be moved to a king studio to accommodate a family and as a person with loyalty status with my airline of choice, I don't get moved from my seat without permission.

So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the cabin I selected unless there is an unforeseen circumstance.

I've been a member on here since 2008, and have not seen this as a regular topic until recently - and then only on the CCL board.

IMO Carnival is abusing what used to be a RESERVED right, and if they can abuse this right without pushback, they'll do the same with other RESERVED rights.

Edited by nealstuber

It's interesting the "it's never happened to me" claims? Especially those with the number of cruises. This analogy means absolutely - nothing. Do you really think that your 20,30, 40 cruises- statically show anything? Unless you cruise EVERY week for a couple of years- can you make any remote, predictions on moving cabins.

There are hundreds of cruises going out per week- yes, absolutely, there are some cabin changes. cruise lines make the changes when revenue and special needs are involved.

Not everybody can "choose" to book early, vacation time has to be approved, life circumstances and such and as a point of fact, I if I were to be displaced, it would be by someone who booked even later than I did.

This cruise caught initially caught our eye because there were over a dozen Coves available. As it turns out I could be moved from any of them because they are either connecting or could accommodate more people.

When I book a minivan for myself, I don't get moved to a sedan because a family of six came along, if I book two queens in a hotel to be in a suite, I don't expect to be moved to a king studio to accommodate a family and as a person with loyalty status with my airline of choice, I don't get moved from my seat without permission.

So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the cabin I selected unless there is an unforeseen circumstance.

I've been a member on here since 2008, and have not seen this as a regular topic until recently - and then only on the CCL board.

IMO Carnival is abusing what used to be a RESERVED right, and if they can abuse this right without pushback, they'll do the same with other RESERVED rights.

It's in the contract we agree to so we shouldn't be surprised that they invoke it:

(g) Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which the stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.

(Sorry if this has been brought up, I've only be loosely following the thread and haven't read all of the posts.)