Live From Silhouette – 11/5 TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

Hi Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to post during your journey.

The pictures are excellent.

If you speak with CD John Grantham again, can you ask him if he expects to be on the Silhouette for the return Transatlantic in April 2017?

My partner and I are booked on that voyage.

John was our cruise director on the Century in May 2012 and am hoping to sail again with him. Our best CD ever.

Thanks, Mark

Was wondering if you are seeing any sign of decorating for the holidays? Believe me, I am not rushing the season, but I will be on the Thanksgiving week cruise and I've seen a tree or two up in previous years, same week of the year.

Hope you are having a great time!

Tonight is the second Chic night. We were just returning from our room and saw early dining people starting to show up for pre-dinner. Everyone looks very nice - Saw a spattering of Tux and Cocktail dresses the majority is split 50/50 with jackets and without.

SeaWatch12 - I will check with John if we see him again.

Stazerd - So far there has been no signs of any holiday decorating. They have not even begun for Thanksgiving yet. We have previously sailed over Thanksgiving (my birthday) and they usually decorate for Thanksgiving and begin decorating for Christmas right after.

Monday - 11/14 A relaxing day at sea

Absolutely beautiful weather greeted us today. Captains announcement indicated the temperature at 10:00 AM was 75 degrees, seas 4-5 ft and smooth. It is now around noon and I would guess 80 degrees. Chair hogs are active on sunny side of ship but shady side almost empty. Deck 15 only about 30 pct taken 04758d88771cda84970d84e25df95d9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great picture.. Always wanted to try a sea day. I will be joining her on Sunday!

Just a little warning. I was trying to point out the difference in dynamics of this cruise. Usually all of the chairs are staked out at 7 am with towels and personal belongings with not a soul to be seen.

Even on the southern TA's every lounge is taken with towels. I have really been surprised on this cruise that we don't have a huge sun worshipping crowed.

Having said that the demographics are quite different than most of our crossings - just my guess

Age 70+ 70% plus

Age 50-69 20%

Under 50 10%

Children - I have only seen one well behaved 6-9 month y.o.

American / Canadian's - 80-85%

Hey Jim,

Enjoying your post very much. We are on the Silhouette in Dec and again on the Nov '17 TA.

Thanks for posting the menus. I have noticed a few new Martinis, we will have to check them out.

The Silhouette is our favorite ship, looking forward to sailing again in December.

Dave

Jim, could you let me know if they are offering the Reidel wine class? We did this a couple of times, once on Summit once on Silhouette but it was a couple years ago. Thanks!

[/url]

Janet - I believe the contract with Reidel has ended. I am sure some cc members more knowledgeable than I will confirm. I have not seen a mention of them. As a matter of fact, Iain asked our sommelier if the glass he brought was Reidel and he said no and then explained why he was using the particular glass for the particular chardonnay.

They have been offering wine tasting and as many have noted the pressure to upsell is rather strong at times.

The Riedel Wine Tasting is still offered on the web site and I remember a recent press release that the MDR was going to use Riedel Glasses as a standard.

Jim, If you have an opportunity to post any changes in staff after the TA, would greatly appreciate it.

Janet - I believe the contract with Reidel has ended. I am sure some cc members more knowledgeable than I will confirm. I have not seen a mention of them. As a matter of fact, Iain asked our sommelier if the glass he brought was Reidel and he said no and then explained why he was using the particular glass for the particular chardonnay.

They have been offering wine tasting and as many have noted the pressure to upsell is rather strong at times.

Thank you, Jim, for the info. We broke a couple of the glasses and it would have been a good excuse to do the tasting again. We typically don't do the standard wine tastings since the wines they pour usually are not that special. I am enjoying your posts and love all the pictures. So good of you to take the time to let us cruse vicariously with you!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

Thank you, Jim, for the info. We broke a couple of the glasses and it would have been a good excuse to do the tasting again. We typically don't do the standard wine tastings since the wines they pour usually are not that special. I am enjoying your posts and love all the pictures. So good of you to take the time to let us cruse vicariously with you!

They may actually have Riedel according to ChazMaryLou. I did a google search and find that they have a link to pre-book a Riedel Tasting.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/bonvoyage/cruise-travel-agent/taspocca/item-code-crwst

Silhouette does have Cell Master so possibly it is still on. With Celebrity website you never know if it is just an old page that was never removed. I tried the link and it adds it to a shopping basket. They sure have not advertised it. I'll see what I can find out.

Edited by Jim_Iain

Jim, could you let me know if they are offering the Reidel wine class? We did this a couple of times, once on Summit once on Silhouette but it was a couple years ago. Thanks!

We were on the Silhouette on the cruise right before the TA and while we didn't take it they did offer the Reidel class in Celebrity Today on a sea day.

There have been a number of not so great reviews of Tuscan lately, both food and service. Have you had a chance to try it, and if so, what are your impressions?

While I was a little wary of Tuscan based on previous reviews we did try it on the cruise on the Silhouette right before this one and we had a fantastic experience. Dragon was our server and he was the best we had, hands down, all cruise. We are pretty adventurous so asked him to choose for us. Just keep on coming till we give up. We also had great wine pairings. We were too full for dessert and he invited us back another night for dessert and port which we took him up on. Ask for him if you can.

While I was a little wary of Tuscan based on previous reviews we did try it on the cruise on the Silhouette right before this one and we had a fantastic experience. Dragon was our server and he was the best we had, hands down, all cruise. We are pretty adventurous so asked him to choose for us. Just keep on coming till we give up. We also had great wine pairings. We were too full for dessert and he invited us back another night for dessert and port which we took him up on. Ask for him if you can.

Thanks, I'm starting to see more positive than negative about Tuscan, especially on Silhouette. We have 2 weeks to check out all the restaurants. So much food & wine to try and so little time. :D

Thanks, I'm starting to see more positive than negative about Tuscan, especially on Silhouette. We have 2 weeks to check out all the restaurants. So much food & wine to try and so little time. :D

Lucky you! I'd love to be back on board. We enjoyed all the speciality restaurants (didn't try sushi) but found MDR hit or miss.

Wednesday - 11/16 another day at sea

We were up late last night chatting with some great guests in Michael's Club until almost midnight. Redeeming factor was we turned back our clocks again last night. I am usually up at 6:00AM and was surprised to roll out of bed at 8:45.

We awoke to stormy clouds and rain this morning. Lucky I slept in. The showers passed by about 10:00 just in time for Captain Peppas famous daily briefings - 78 degrees and cloudy skies today and his famous "Cio for now" ending.

The winds were a bit stronger today but seas remain calm at 5-10 feet. To me the breeze was perfect as yesterday had been quite hot with no winds. Their were high clouds all day which filtered the sun and kept it a very comfortable 80-85.

This cruise has been so different from most TA's I have been on as there have virtually never been a problem with deck chairs anywhere on the ship. Even at 1pm today only about 50% of the chairs around the pool were occupied.

Thursday - November 17

On a 7 day crossing each day is very similar. The activities group have been busy to make sure there are constant activities. While it would be easy to just skip over these day's, I'm going to at least provide an idea of the conditions as sea. I have often seen cc members asking what the weather and seas were like on a TA. While each crossing is different and varies by date, route and weather conditions, I have found the southern crossing to generally be cool to cold for the beginning and warming to a mild 70's when you get to the Canaries.

Today we awoke to cloudy skies. There were numerous downpours and high winds while passing through a storm front line. The high winds forced the Captain to close all the decks on 5 and many of the doors on the pool deck and above. Surprisingly the seas remain calm with 5-10 foot swells.

Friday Nov 20 -

Today we were greeted with sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-70's. Like yesterday the winds were very strong and some doors were closed off again. Unlike yesterday the winds were more of a side wind as opposed to a head wind, this caused the ship to roll side to side all day. Some guests we spoke to said it was causing them to feel queasy.

As night time came on the temperatures dropped and it was a little chilly. I needed a light sweater in the late afternoon and I saw many people with jackets on later in the day.