Live From Silhouette – 11/5 TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

Thanks Jim for your postings and will be following your future post. I Did the crossing on the Silhouette last year and it was great. Booked for the crossing next November. Happy crossing.

We love TA's. Each one is so different in so many ways. This one is turning out really cold to start with but it is getting better each day. All on board are looking forward to warm weather.

We are also on the Silhouette for next November's crossing so we will be following your journey with great interest. Sorry to hear you had such a stressful beginning, hope you can relax and enjoy your time on board.

Thanks - let me know if you want me to check out anything for you. I love Silhouette so far.

Edited by Jim_Iain

What a small world, I am from Sunnyvale, too! (my boyfriend and I). We live off Wolfe, very close to the Cupertino border. Just curious, but do you rent a car one-way to SFO? I would've never thought of doing that! Do you find that is cheaper than a taxi or Uber?

Have a wonderful cruise!

I think our next one will be South America and Rio for Carnival in Feb 2018 for my 50th bday. It will be our first time on Celebrity.

Wonderful hearing from a neighbor.

We live around Mary and Central Expressway. We met a really nice couple from Cupertino on an Alaska cruise and have remained friends for many years. Really nice to meet someone that you can re-unite with.

I usually rent from Avis Local - located on Old Middlefield Road near Costco on Rengstorf. I have also rented from Hertz Local - El Camino near Fair Oaks.

I get a Corporate rate of about $35 to SFO with no drop off charges. Coming home it is about $15 more expensive due to taxes and airport fees.

In comparison - My quick trip home when I didn't have my passport was $46.37. The Uber to SJC was only $19.76 so was well worth the cost.

Sunday, La Spezia

Was really cold and dreary for our arrival in La Spezia. We decided to take out on foot and with the help of Google Maps headed to the Train Station. It was a comfortable 1 mile walk to the station and we got tickets to Pisa. It was a very comfortable 1 hour trip to Pisa. Again with the help of Google maps headed off to the leaning tower. Something went wrong with the instructions and our 1 mile walk turned into about 2. Oh well extra steps and it helped me burn off more calories. We were lucky and avoided rain for the entire day.

The tower was amazing to see and we explored Pisa for a couple hours. Heading back to the train station we found a really nice sandwich shop, not being hungry we split a Panini.

Back to the trains station for a return trip to La Specia. Beautiful little town and surprisingly, lots of the shops were open on a Sunday afternoon.

This has really been an unusual TA as it is quite port intensive on the beginning of the trip with 4 ports before our first sea day. We had drinks in Michael’s Club and already have met quite a number of fellow travelers. This is our first trip in Suite Class since they added Sky Suites to Michael’s Club. Surprisingly, for a cruise with no perks (Drink Packages Gratis) the bar has not really been very crowded with only about 5-10 people at any time. The Michael’s Club bartender is Arleen, she is from Jamaica and this is her last leg before going home on break. She is FANTASTIC and really knows how to take care of your beverage needs with the warmest smile and a wonderful hearty laugh. I know we are really going to enjoy her

I’m running about a day behind in posting but trying to catch up.

OOOMMMGGG, you musta been going crazy with all the time factors involved, turning back to go home, returning with traffic, juggling other flight options. That is one hellava story like something out of a movie with a great ending. I'm glad to hear you made it. This time next year, we will be taking the same cruise on the Silhouette. We can't wait to hear more details on your trip and have fun.

First day in Rome Area we chose the Hilton Fumichino Airport Hotel. It included free-wife :confused:, breakfast, access to the executive lounge with cocktail and light buffet hearty enough to serve as an evening meal.

How does this work since I already have one, does she come with the room, do I keep her, or can I trade her in for more OBC. :D

Monday, Toulon (Provence)

We had quite a bit of wind last night sailing from La Specia to our next stop. Although they indicate the port is Provence the ship actually docks at Le Vieux Port which across the bay from Toulon. They have a boat shuttle to Toulon for 15 Euros per person and it takes about 20-30 minutes for the transfer.

The winds were high last evening and the ship was swaying a bit but the seas were in my opinion very calm, some thought it was a little rough. The did close all the decks on decks 5 and 14 and decided to close the Lawn Club Grill. It would not have been a nice night to dine al fresco as the winds were high and it was about 45-50 degrees.

I awoke to a beautiful sunrise which I will post a picture of later today. It was wonderful clear morning but the winds were at about 30 knots and the temperature was about 55-50 degrees. I was really thankful that my friends on CruiseCritics told me about these wonderful light puffer jackets. I love the one I bought on Amazon. Takes virtually no suitcase space and does keep you warm in temperatures down to about 40.

We had breakfast in our room around 8:00 and decided to take another excursion by rail to a small seaside town called Cassis. I found a wonderful App - Rail Planner that searches and gives real time train schedules for all of Europe. It was specifically written for planning and booking Eurorail journeys but has worked perfectly and will give is the times of the trains, both local and inter-city trains.

The trains station was about 1 mile from where the boat transfer dropped us of. Toulon is a beautiful city and I could have spent the whole day there. The moment you arrive you feel the essence of France.

Our trip to Cassis took about 30 minutes and then we started our trek to the City Center. You will have to believe me that I really a computer literate but we having a terrible time with Apple maps. It initially gave us a walking route that was actually a truck bypass route around Cassis. After walking about a mile out of our way we figured out what the program was doing so shifted to Google Maps. Google maps also sent us on an incorrect route and we climbed about 1.5 miles up a mountain route. We got beautiful views but when I realized the route was continuing away from the little village we backtracked again and this time I played Boy Scout. I decided if we just followed whatever route we found that was going downhill we would eventually arrive at the ocean. We were laughing as we found that at the infamous roundabout that in small letters it said city center instead of Cassis (referring to the ways of getting to the highway. About 1.5 more miles we arrive in town. Cute little town and we enjoyed sitting by the sea and strolling up and down the many little streets.

We got back around 4 and stopped into Michael’s Club for a nice Cappuccino. As we were leaving we saw many people dressed up and realized it must be “Chic” night. This is our first cruise not bringing a Tuxedo. I love to dress in Tux but chose for this cruise to try out just bringing a couple sports jackets. On this sailing, I thought everyone looked wonderful. 90% were dressed the way the way they would for a nice restaurant. Only a handful of people in long gowns and tux. Didn’t see a single person in jeans or shirts without collars. I must admit that not bringing formal wear really cut down on our baggage.

While dropping by Michael’s for a drink, pre-dinner, the Captain dropped by to introduce himself individually to each guest. Captain Yannis Chazandroulis was the same captain as last year’s TA. He is a very friendly Captain and very approachable. The crew all indicate they enjoy working for him.

John Grantham next came through and stopped by each guest and explained that they had a mechanical failure and were going to cancel the show for the evening as none of the lights, stage etc were working. He did say a couple of the entertainment staff had agreed to put together a impromptu vocal for the evening. We chose not to attend, but then again we rarely go to the shows.

Tomorrow is Barcelona.

[quote=Jim_Iain;51514972

While dropping by Michael’s for a drink, pre-dinner, the Captain dropped by to introduce himself individually to each guest. Captain Yannis Chazandroulis was the same captain as last year’s TA. He is a very friendly Captain and very approachable. The crew all indicate they enjoy working for him.

Tomorrow is Barcelona.[/

Captain on this cruise is Peppas. Service in MC has been excellent.

[quote name=Jim_Iain;51514972

While dropping by Michael’s for a drink' date=' pre-dinner, the Captain dropped by to introduce himself individually to each guest. Captain Yannis Chazandroulis was the same captain as last year’s TA. He is a very friendly Captain and very approachable. The crew all indicate they enjoy working for him.

Tomorrow is Barcelona.[/

Captain on this cruise is Peppas. Service in MC has been excellent.[/quote]

Your are right - I am a day or two behind on posting. Where are you hanging out for drinks. We pretty much hang out at Michael's Club. If you see us tap me on the back.

Thanks for posting & WOW, what a way to start your trip!!! :eek: But happy that it all worked out for you.

If you get a chance, would you check at the Martini Bar to see if there is a waiter named Taz still on the ship. He is from Turkey & he was so nice to us on our cruise, so hoping he's still on when we sail again in March.

Have a great trip & looking forward to more of your review. :)

IrishLassie - I checked at Martini Bar and no one had heard of him. Hopefully he will be back on the ship by March.

Arlene the bartender in Michael's Club also didn't know him. Her contract ends when we arrive in FLL. She indicated many of the staff will be changed for the winter sailing in the Caribbean.

Tuesday – Barcelona

Arrived to a chilly morning in Barcelona. We have been to Barcelona a number of times and had one item on our agenda. We have been watching the Sagrada de Familia being built for the past 30 years and had not visited in 10 years.

We took a shuttle bus from the Terminal to the base of the Rambla at a cost of 8 euros each round trip. As it was early we strolled down the Rambla and bought subway tickets along the way. We arrived about 15 minutes for our appointment of 11:00 AM. If planning on a visit it is a good idea to book online (by web or phone) the lines were really long to purchase tickets.

We were really impressed with the progress as the last visit they only had the walls erected and had not yet started on the ceiling. Needing to burn off some calories we decided to walk the 2 ½ miles back the shuttle stop. Took a winding route back through old town and the many narrow little streets. Was really nice to just stroll without any plans.

We were back to the ship by 2:00 PM.

IMG_0925_zpss9alfhob.jpg

IMG_0935_zpskbeslpbt.jpg

IMG_0929_zpspawtg7a5.jpg

Jim - great photos, thanks a bunch... I wanted to ask, may have missed the answer somewhere along the line, what type of camera(s) are you using?

Thank you again for your journal and photos, many of us appreciate it for sure.

bon voyage

Have you used Citymapper for their public transit options? I find it pretty useful in their covered cities. I also like Pocket Earth (iOS) for caching maps with data from openstreetmaps and guides from wikivoyage, though Google Maps offline also supports a lot of the same areas with Google map data.

You had a great mental checklist for recovery! I would be sad to think about what might happen to others without the travel experience or tools you have. Did you switch out your normal luggage for this trip, that the missing personal item didn't really ping until you got too far? Also, in addition to keeping the phone on, each person should bring car & house keys in case you get separated or one set is misplaced.

Hello from a South Bay neighbor, too!

Thanks SO MUCH for checking to see if Taz was still onboard, I really appreciate it. He may have moved onto another ship, or gone onto something else.

Really enjoying your review & your pics are just great. Hoping I can talk my DH into doing a trans, but will have to wait a year or two! :)