Live From Silhouette – 11/5 TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm so impressed with how you handled that rough start...fast thinking and a cool head! I would have been a wreck and I'm pretty sure tears would have been involved! Loving your pictures too. Would you mind asking if the Michaels Club concierge will be changing for the Dec 4 cruise?

Puppyluv. Niko is the new Michael Club Concierge and will probably be on for the next 6 months. She was really helpful yesterday. I was missing an OBC and she immediately called Miami and sorted it out I. Less than an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We received an email from the shore side concierge advising us that Niko will be going on vacation Dec 4 and Ildi, currently on Constellation, will be the MC Concierge on Dec 4.

That is surprising to hear. I will have to ask her tonight. I am sure it will help her in her learning curve as I understand it, she is rather new to being a Michael's Club Concierge.

It is amazing that I always learn new things from our Cruise Critic friends.

We only had a few request of the Shoreside Concierge. Change bubbly for Chardonnay and Pillow choice. Unfortunately neither were taken care of in advance. Our butler took care of them immediately. My only thoughts were why had I bothered calling back and making the requests.

Edited by Jim_Iain

Torgotom - We will take good care of her. She is in wonderful condtion. The crew is busy freshening her up. Lots of touchup painting being done. Yesterday the were puting a fresh finish on lots of teak on the Lawn Club Cabanas. Today they were putting fresh varnish on the hand railings.

IrishLassie - I am sure your husband would love it. I was reticent before my first TA but became addictive to them instantly. They are the most relazing vacation you will ever have.

Puppyluv1 - Thanks - I did keep a cool head, but when I got on the TransAtlantic Flight I pulled out a Asperin w/ Codine I had in my backpack and took it. It really relaxed all the tension of the day and I slipped into a nice 20 minute much needed nap. This is the first coach flights I have taken in about 15 years. With so little space I ended up reading for the complete flight.

Beautiful photos! Thank you so much. I have been on the Silhouette once and I am looking forward to being back on board soon! Could you tell me if there is a World Bar? (not sure that is the right name, but whatever has taken the place of the Molecular Bar?)

Beautiful photos! Thank you so much. I have been on the Silhouette once and I am looking forward to being back on board soon! Could you tell me if there is a World Bar? (not sure that is the right name, but whatever has taken the place of the Molecular Bar?)

Yes the have converted to World Class Bar. Hours 5:00 pm to Midnight. Looks to be lightly attended but this cruise has been port intensive for the first part of cruise.

There have been a number of not so great reviews of Tuscan lately, both food and service. Have you had a chance to try it, and if so, what are your impressions?

Hi. We have not tried it and probably will not. We had a disappointing visit last year on Reflection both with service and food.

I have heard both good and bad about Tuscan on the cruise. We were talking to guests in a Penthouse and they walked out because their reserved window was given away to another guest while they were waiting to be seated. The restaurant managed came to Michaels Club and apologized.

We are not big Meat eaters and the new menus look more like a Steak House. 5a15e7dafb1cc59520cb18a9103cd83e.jpg

Thanks again for your post. Will be interested with hearing how's the weather during the crossing. Last year it was absolutely perfect. Temps were in the low 80s during the day. We did come across a distressed sail boat about 2/3 away across. The captain did get close to the sail boat and sent staff aboard to see if assistance was needed, but "there were no signs of survivors".

Looking forward to this sailing next year.

IMG_3183.jpg.b88acbf4bd7767c0f397172f867c9818.jpg

There have been a number of not so great reviews of Tuscan lately, both food and service. Have you had a chance to try it, and if so, what are your impressions?

On Silhouette in September we were disappointed with the quality of the food at the Tuscan Grill.

We were just on the Silhouette in October, and like many had previous disappointing dinners in the Tuscan. We discussed this on board and were encouraged by the Maitre'd to give it a try again, with the new menus and improved wait service. We were pleasantly surprised, in both the meat and seafood entrees, and the service.

So, to all those on the Silhouette now and in the future, I would give it a try again. :)

Thank you for posting throughout your trip Jim and Iain. You can't beat your first post for drama, excitement and suspense. I admire the way you handled that whole situation.

I have a question about the afternoon tea situation for suites. It's said that the butlers aren't bringing a tea cart around any more and that you now need to go to Michael's Club for tea. Is it acceptable to collect these Delectable Delights (Celebrity's term, not mine) and return with them to your suite? That time of day has always been spent relaxing on our balcony and recharging from our day. I'm not liking the idea of having to go Michael's Club. We would miss our down time.

Hi Jim ~ just a quick THANK YOU for taking the time to post LIVE. I know it takes some time to keep us up to date. I'm loving your posts and information. We board Silhouette next Sunday when you bring her back to Ft. Lauderdale. Anxious to be back on board again as she's one of my favorite ships.

Here's hoping you and Iain enjoy the rest of the cruise (I know you will)!

Happy cruising!

Thanks again for your post. Will be interested with hearing how's the weather during the crossing. Last year it was absolutely perfect. Temps were in the low 80s during the day. We did come across a distressed sail boat about 2/3 away across. The captain did get close to the sail boat and sent staff aboard to see if assistance was needed, but "there were no signs of survivors".

Looking forward to this sailing next year.

Wow that is amazing to hear of the help to a distressed ship. To bad there were no survivors.

Tenerife was mild today but showery. We are looking forward to the warmer weather. Today was about 72-75 at sail away and perfect for t-shirt. The Captain said we should have smooth crossing. This TA is going to be a slow crossing as we will be at sea for the next 7 days.

Like your trip last year, all of our southern crossing have been Hawaii temperatures for the entire crossing and most have been as smooth as a lake. I will report back more as we progress. Everyone on the ship is looking forward to relaxation after so many ports.

Thank you for posting throughout your trip Jim and Iain. You can't beat your first post for drama, excitement and suspense. I admire the way you handled that whole situation.

I have a question about the afternoon tea situation for suites. It's said that the butlers aren't bringing a tea cart around any more and that you now need to go to Michael's Club for tea. Is it acceptable to collect these Delectable Delights (Celebrity's term, not mine) and return with them to your suite? That time of day has always been spent relaxing on our balcony and recharging from our day. I'm not liking the idea of having to go Michael's Club. We would miss our down time.

The rumors are true and they have retired the trollies and are now serving Tea in Michael's Club.

Don't worry as the experience hasn't really changed much. Our butler brings us "provisions" around 4:30 each afternoon. If we are out he leaves them. Tonight he dropped off a cheese platter, some shrimp and the little appetizer quad. Some nights he has offered a selection from the tea - little sandwiches, tea cakes etc. Of course more than we could ever eat.

I actually enjoy it better because in the past I felt obliged to take things even though I really wasn't it the mood. He did say of course I can bring you coffee and tea if you want, which we declined.

Jim

I feel as though I am on the ship with you and thanks again for the frequent updates. One other question, how is with the LGBT community on board. We had quite the group. This was not all of us, but here we are as we past through the Gibraltar strait. Don't let the avatar confuse you, I'm in the orange shirt.

IMG_2898.jpg.ba9fa062b959ac3b2908789f47038f58.jpg

We didn't really like the changes to the menu when we looked at it pre. But we tried it in October and liked if it. We only planned to go once but went again and both times had great food,

Trying to get caught up today. The internet has been a bit of a disappointment. It has been spotty and often not operative while in port and is really slow (like 1 minute to load a web page) in the morning hours.

Wednesday – Palma de Majorca

Another cool and windy day met us in Majorca. The temperatures are finally getting a bit warmer and it was comfortable for walking around with just a light sweater on. We have been to Majorca a number of times so chose to take a walk around town. The ship docked about 1 ½ miles from the Church and a shuttle was available for around 6 euros.

This has been a rather Port intensive cruise with 4 ports in 4 days. Everyone is looking forward to our first two sea day tomorrow.

Thursday – Our first Sea Day

Today was our first sea day. Was really surprised when I went to the gym at 7:00 that there was but one elliptical open and all the treadmills were filled. Until now on port days there had only been a handful of people in the gym. I can be a bit compulsive at times and trying to do something I have never done before – trying to no put on any weight on this cruise! Well, we will see how many days pass before I fall off the wagon.

We passed the Strait of Gibraltar today around 5:30 PM. The winds were really strong and on the Forward deck near the basketball court the winds were near hurricane force. That didn’t stop a brave group of 50-60 guests from braving the winds to get a good picture. While the winds were high the seas were relatively calm.

We had dinner at Murano’s tonight. I had the Lobster Starter, Sole and a Grand Marnier Soufflé. Service and food were excellent.

Wayneair - Thanks for your comments. Now you have me curious if you are on the ship. We have not attended any of the LGBT Social Hours yet as the ship planned it for 4:30. Can't imagine sipping Martini's this early. We have met abouut 6-8 nice male couple in Michael's Club and "Gaydar" I would say I have seen about 40-50 LGBT on board. Many of the TA's we have been on had much larger groups - sometimes as many as a couple hundred.

We really don't hang out exclusively with the LGBT community either at home nor while sailing. We have met so many nice people while sailing and try not to limit our engagement by their sexual identity (gay or straight). We have really met some wonderful people throughout the ship and have really enjoyed their acceptance us as a Male Couple.

Gordoncruickshank - That is really nice to hear. The service, professionalism and friendliness of the staff through out the ship would make me assume the service in Tuscon would be of a high standard. I've been asking around the ship and have been hearing more good review than bad. My tastes are more French in nature so we will probably give it a miss.

Host Anne - Thanks for your kind words. We will make sure we take care of Sillie so she will be ready for you. Been watching and the crew has been busy daily touching up the paint and varnish. I would say that she looks pristine and even the soft finishes (carpets, upholster etc) are in good shape. She is turning into my favorite in the S-Class. I feel that she is just the right size.