Horrible cabin steward on the Carnival Dream

ApoJacks

Having to sit in on many Captain's "Mast" sessions, where crew discipline is handed out, I will say that the response by the housekeeping supervisors (no one in the Hotel Department is an officer) is pure BS. This should have been documented immediately by these supervisors and brought to the Staff Captain's attention that same day. The crew member would have been subject to a written warning at the very least (and generally two of these leads to termination), or to termination at the end of the cruise. They are papering over their own poor management, and hoping not to have a period of short handed operations while a new steward is hired. This kind of thing is handled at the ship level, not Corporate.

Thanks for posting. Thought it would be an issue handled on the ship and thought the ship would want to take immediate steps before this happens again with much worse results.

Thanks for posting. Thought it would be an issue handled on the ship and thought the ship would want to take immediate steps before this happens again with much worse results.

I got a call from Carnival Corporate today. They said that it was addressed in the "strongest possible manner", not sure what that means, but I can only assume the guy was demoted or fired. They also offered us 15% off our next cruise, which is not what I was after...and they did offer a formal apology too, which I graciously accepted.

I got a call from Carnival Corporate today. They said that it was addressed in the "strongest possible manner", not sure what that means, but I can only assume the guy was demoted or fired. They also offered us 15% off our next cruise, which is not what I was after...and they did offer a formal apology too, which I graciously accepted.

Glad it had a happy ending.

I agree that Carnival won't guarantee it won't happen to another. That's just impossible. And as another poster noted, this complaint has been seen on the boards before - its rare, but it still happens.

Contact JH from FB - I am confident he will issue an apology. Who knows if they would offer anything else.

And chalk this up to a case of the first time - shame on him...but a second time? Shame on me...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The first story was just that, a story. Considering the Maitre's name on the Dream was not Goran..

Having to sit in on many Captain's "Mast" sessions, where crew discipline is handed out, I will say that the response by the housekeeping supervisors (no one in the Hotel Department is an officer) is pure BS. This should have been documented immediately by these supervisors and brought to the Staff Captain's attention that same day. The crew member would have been subject to a written warning at the very least (and generally two of these leads to termination), or to termination at the end of the cruise. They are papering over their own poor management, and hoping not to have a period of short handed operations while a new steward is hired. This kind of thing is handled at the ship level, not Corporate.

Yes, if it happened....

Just got back from a week long cruise on the Carnival Dream. Overall, the cruise was good, the dining room staff was great, ship's staff was great....there was one skid mark on the entire trip....our cabin steward. Our room was made up three times during the week....each time we had to request it. We were in cabin 2254. I will not name the steward because of what follows....

The level of service was so poor we had to go to guest services and complain. Friday night he came to our cabin at 730, I told him that we were getting ready for dinner, please come back after 815. He said he had some stuff to deliver to the room, I told him again to please come back after 815. 20 minutes later I am in the shower, my wife had just gotten out of the shower and was stark naked when there was a knock on the door, she said; "Hold on a minute please", he just walked in while she was naked. I went to guest services to complain again, they brought in an officer from the house keeping division and the deck 2 floor supervisor. They were extremely apologetic, and said that we would have to call Carnival Corporate on Monday (I have yet to get anyone on the phone, I have tried twice and have waited over a half hour each time) to get the matter fully addressed by senior management. Not sure what happened, the steward came to our room the next day, never even got an apology. Still very unhappy. I would like to contact John Heald, but I don't even know how to get a hold of him via Facebook. There seems to be no option to message him or write on his page....any thoughts?

That is very hard to believe.

They also offered us 15% off our next cruise, which is not what I was after...and they did offer a formal apology too, which I graciously accepted.

I certainly hope you responded to their 15% off offer with "thank you but that is not what I was after. I wanted a formal apology which is what I now have. I appreciate the 15% offer but respectfully decline."

I certainly hope you responded to their 15% off offer with "thank you but that is not what I was after. I wanted a formal apology which is what I now have. I appreciate the 15% offer but respectfully decline."

Seriously? Why would you not accept the offer of a 15% credit as the company showing you some goodwill?

Seriously? Why would you not accept the offer of a 15% credit as the company showing you some goodwill?

A large percentage of people that complain are just looking for a hand-out. If you are really serious about only wanting an apology or making sure the same thing doesn't happen again or to someone else, declining any compensation speaks volumes. Accepting compensation just tells the company that you're like the majority looking for a hand out.

I've declined several offers of compensation in my lifetime. I've also accepted offers of compensation when I had expenses that I insurred due to a companies inefficiencies.

Good that CarnivaL corporate reached out to you. He might get fired.

I wasn't out for free stuff. Heck, most of our friends who have repeatedly cruised Carnival were saying they wouldn't take anything less than a free cruise over this.

I wasn't out for free stuff. Heck, most of our friends who have repeatedly cruised Carnival were saying they wouldn't take anything less than a free cruise over this.

Not saying you were but if a business offers us a rate reduction over some sort of problem would accept it graciously.

A large percentage of people that complain are just looking for a hand-out. If you are really serious about only wanting an apology or making sure the same thing doesn't happen again or to someone else, declining any compensation speaks volumes. Accepting compensation just tells the company that you're like the majority looking for a hand out.

I've declined several offers of compensation in my lifetime. I've also accepted offers of compensation when I had expenses that I insurred due to a companies inefficiencies.

Even if all I wanted was an apology if the company offered compensation of any sort I'd take it. Don't care what it tells the company.

Perhaps it's just me but when someone says

that means they got an apology. It's difficult to be "extremely apologetic" without some form of an apology being provided.

The STEWARD never apologized. Maybe that's who he wants the apology from since HE is the one who did it?

It is VERY hard to believe that this happened at all.

Not sure why someone would write a story like this??

I cannot imagine a cruise where the cabin steward doesn't make up the room every day unless the folks (like us) tell them not to bother.

I cannot imagine not locking your cabin door.

Perhaps I am just a very sceptical person???

I never lock my cabin door.

And that is a good thing? I'm a very trusting person but I do lock cruise cabins and hotel rooms, with the dead bolts provided. Too many staff members have access for me to feel comfortable when I decide to take a nice like shower, or when I take my afternoon nap.

Hmm, I stayed in 2256 on the Dream last year. If you had the same steward that we did, I'm pretty confident in saying that I'm sure it was an honest mistake, and that he didn't do it on purpose. As others have pointed out, if you don't want someone coming in when you are in the room, deadbolt it and put the Snoozin' sign on. In my opinion, it's pretty much common sense.

Also, I'm curious as to why you had him service the room three times a day? Service is supposed to be twice a day.

In the end, I think you guys need to caulk this up as an embarrassing mistake. And also realize that your wife isn't the only one embarrassed. I'm sure he is mortified as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is VERY hard to believe that this happened at all.

Perhaps I am just a very sceptical person???

No, I'm having a pretty hard time believing this as well. I'm choosing to be the bigger person and give the OP the benefit of the doubt. But, if it did happen, I think there are two sides to every story and I would be very interested in hearing the other side, because I'm sure something is being left out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Didn't you say you already got one? You want another one? A more .

Doesn't anyone use the "Snoozin'" sign, the deadbolt and the security clamp-type thing on the doors - especially when they know they have a oddly-behaving steward?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2389322&highlight=deadbolt

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2329487&highlight=deadbolt

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2343400&highlight=deadbolt

We use all 3 when we don't want to be disturbed by the Cabin Steward...good and bad. Makes it easy for them and easy for us. If we have gone to our cabin to chill out and/or nap, we still put the "snoozing" sign and clamp the door.