First cruise to Alaska

dorisdvu

We are in the early stages of planning our first trip to Alaska in June 2017. It will be me (55), my niece (40), her husband (42), great niece (18), great nephew and his fiance' (21). We normally cruise the caribbean and drive from Kentucky to Florida. We are trying to stay within a reasonable budget but having difficulties planning. We are going to be limited to traveling no more that 8 days. From what I gather from the boards, the itinerary is the first thing I should consider and Glacier Bay is a must for first timers and airfare is cheaper flying into Seattle. We have cruised with Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. In trying different mock bookings (from a family suite to inside), I believe we are going to have to settle for 2 inside cabins (4 i n 1 and 2 in the other) since that price range seems more logical. Am I going to regret not having a balcony? Princess seems to be the cruise line of choice for a lot of people. I believe we could get a better deal with Carnival, but not ruling out Princess or NCL. What do you think that the most economical per person range for the flight and cruise? I know the excursion prices are all over the place. We are not locked into June yet. We have to see what everyone's schedule (school and work) will be at the first of the year. I know it can't be before June. Suggestions please?

Edited by dorisdvu

You haven't looked at Holland America but I would suggest you do. They are known for their itineraries. The Eurodam is a fine ship and has a very good itinerary out of Seattle or else the Oosterdam. The "O" does Hubbard Glacier which is my favorite but June can sometimes be early for that ...safer to do Glacier Bay which is always accessible. Take a look. Inside cabins on the Eurodam (J cabins) can be great for multiple people. We've done them several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by janmcn

I agree look at HAL as well. We sailed them for the first time to AK & Loved the cruise line. (We are in your middle age range & travelled with our son, who was 4 at the time, in an inside.) Right now they have a promotion called "Explore 4" if any in your party drinks beverages beyond those that are included in the cruise fare. That will be a substantial savings for us. ;)

I don't believe that you need a balcony.

The 360 views from the top decks are so awe inspiring.

Any sighting/narration will be from the front of the ship point of view, not your narrow slice of balcony.

I believe that the prices posted now for the cruise

We are in the early stages of planning our first trip to Alaska in June 2017. It will be me (55), my niece (40), her husband (42), great niece (18), great nephew and his fiance' (21). We normally cruise the caribbean and drive from Kentucky to Florida. We are trying to stay within a reasonable budget but having difficulties planning. We are going to be limited to traveling no more that 8 days. From what I gather from the boards, the itinerary is the first thing I should consider and Glacier Bay is a must for first timers and airfare is cheaper flying into Seattle. We have cruised with Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. In trying different mock bookings (from a family suite to inside), I believe we are going to have to settle for 2 inside cabins (4 i n 1 and 2 in the other) since that price range seems more logical. Am I going to regret not having a balcony? Princess seems to be the cruise line of choice for a lot of people. I believe we could get a better deal with Carnival, but not ruling out Princess or NCL. What do you think that the most economical per person range for the flight and cruise? I know the excursion prices are all over the place. We are not locked into June yet. We have to see what everyone's schedule (school and work) will be at the first of the year. I know it can't be before June. Suggestions please?

Went on Crown Princess last yr and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Ruby does it this yr, Definitely go for a cruise with Glacier Bay.

Balcony is great for sure. Only one of your cabins would need it. You can share.

For air savings, get a Southwest credit card and charge $2000 on it within 3 months. You'll get 50,000 rapid reward points which should be enough for at least 2 free round trips to Seattle. Hope you can fly SW from where you are.

Thoughts...

• I too like HAL up there with Princess
  • what ever cruise line you choose.... think Glacier Bay if you want to see glaciers
  • Vancouver departures is a $100 round trip shuttle away from SeaTac. Offers much more than Victoria if you want to see Canada.
  • if not a balcony.... there's oceanview. Just go to the top deck for the 360 view. While some say balconies are a must for glacier privacy, inside passage viewing..... I found them too windy and cold on my August trips. Future Alaskan trips will be oceanviews with the biggest windows.

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Hey guys, take a look at Royal Caribbean. They are a great ship line, they are also in Alaska. If this is your first cruise to Alaska, you won't be disappointed, and you will go again and again. Been up there several times, and think I'll be going in May. I think I'm going, but can't be sure, as I have a niece getting married next July and she wants me there.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I did look at Holland but the cost for an interior in June was $1279PP + $214 (port fees etc)= $1493 PP from what I gather. Their website will only go so far (to the point where you select dining) before you have to put in your information so you can't see the final cost, which was a little more than I was looking for, for an inside cabin. I agree the beverage package would be a great bonus and we would be all over it. Is that for all guests over 21? I agree we would only need 1 balcony, but for a regular balcony room, I don't think 6 can fit on the balcony. I also thought of a suite that would hold 6 people, but only one I could find for 6 was on NCL. NCL was the only website that I found where you could do a mock booking for 6. I love RCCL, but it does not go to Glacier Bay. Thanks for the Southwest tip. SW does fly from Louisville.

Edited by dorisdvu

Hey guys, take a look at Royal Caribbean. They are a great ship line, they are also in Alaska. If this is your first cruise to Alaska, you won't be disappointed, and you will go again and again. Been up there several times, and think I'll be going in May. I think I'm going, but can't be sure, as I have a niece getting married next July and she wants me there.

They don't go to Glacier Bay

They may be a great line but IMO - they are not a great line in Alaska. Their RT Seattle has a very weak itinerary. My first trip to Alaska was with RCCL and I was greatly disappointed in the line in Alaska (better in the Caribbean).

They don't go to Glacier Bay

Correct - they don't have the permits.

We recently did Seattle to Vancouver on Carnival. (2 adults 2 chn, 10 &7). We had a wonderful time and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I also agree with the previous poster that you don't need a balcony. We had an oceanview and were happy with that. Our day through Glacier Bay we were on the top deck the whole day.

Have fun planning!

If you are trying to save money, and if you can travel in May or September, check out Norwegian's Free at Sea promotion. One of the options is to take along a 3rd and 4th person free (except for service charges) in the stateroom. I jumped at that to take our 2 adult children along on the Pearl. I don't know if all the RTs do Glacier Bay but ours does. Of course that option has limited availability and is not available at all during the prime cruising months of June-August. One caveat if any of your family is Coke-dependent, Norwegian only serves Pepsi products. Also, the bed arrangement for the extra 2 people is a shared sleeper sofa, at least in our room. Still haven't worked out how my daughter and son are going to sleep but probably one will use the folded sofa and the other will sleep on the floor. (Amazing what you can put up with for a free cruise. lol)

We cruised on Oasis in the Caribbean and liked it very much, but from everything I have read, itinerary should be your first consideration for an Alaska cruise, and Royal's sailings didn't include Glacier Bay.

From what I have read, the ships have plenty of viewing areas, so all you would really miss from an inside cabin is the convenience. My SIL and I both have mobility issues, so I sprang for a balcony, but if not for that I probably would have at least considered an inside. The photos of OV rooms on the website did not impress me, the window is quite small and I couldn't see myself comfortably watching out of it for long. Hopefully someone who has BTDT will chime in with actual experience.

Edited by mamasylvia

Am I going to regret not having a balcony?

If you've done insides before and are comfortable with that then (IMHO) you won't regret it. We've never done an inside but deliberately selected that for June based on prior Alaska cruise. The premium for balcony that all the lines charge, above the usual price difference, is too high. Also last time it was cold and wet on the balcony most of the time so we did not use it.

One thing for HAL is the ships all have the wrap around Promenade deck which is well covered and they have blankets for the lounge chairs. We spent far more time there than on our balcony and if the view was better one direction we moved to that side. Also, check pricing on HAL both with and without the Explore4 promo. If you don't drink a lot the difference, even with an ala carte bar tab, could be significant.

Another HAL feature I missed on Royal was the Crows Nest lounge, which for Alaska is very nice to have. RCCL and other ships have their top level lounge set mid-sip with stuff in the way of the forward view but HAL ships have an almost 360° view unobstructed over the bow.

something that has not been mentioned is the difference in the Scenery while cruising the "Inside Passage" stretches in Sailing to and From Vancouver and from Seattle.

It is a lot different. Way more time sailing on the outside of Vancouver Island vs. right into the Inside from Vancouver and more the last day and night on the return.

All lines run transfers to and from Seattle /Vancouver via buses. To get the Air difference.

I also agree on Glacier Bay being the best odds on Glaciers but Hubbard has never been disappointing for me on our trips. Tracy Arm however has been disappointing early.

Ships HAL . And or The Infinity out of Vancouver for Celebrity.

Can some one tell me the difference of cruising in late July vs mid July?
  • Weather wise... it's statistically minimal in a two week window.
  • The closer you are to August the weather gets wetter in your port days, but you'll see more salmon and bears. You have an inverse situation in Cascadia where it gets dryer in late July.
  • If you are cruising Tracy Arm... you'll get deeper into the 31 mile fjord to see Sawyer.

If in Vancouver pre/post-cruise... there are festival opportunities/congestion/hotel price spikes. Fireworks and Pride are the big events if you are in Vancouver for the second half of July. Once you have a cruise date.... we can make suggestions to avoid the congestion.

Edited by xlxo

• Weather wise... it's statistically minimal in a two week window.
  • The closer you are to August the weather gets wetter in your port days, but you'll see more salmon and bears. You have an inverse situation in Cascadia where it gets dryer in late July.
  • If you are cruising Tracy Arm... you'll get deeper into the 31 mile fjord to see Sawyer.

If in Vancouver pre/post-cruise... there are festival opportunities/congestion/hotel price spikes. Fireworks and Pride are the big events if you are in Vancouver for the second half of July. Once you have a cruise date.... we can make suggestions to avoid the congestion.

Tracy Arm is unpredictable from week to week. One may get farther earlier in the season and then not later in the season, or vice versa.

Weather is unpredictable as well.

Edited by Coral