Princess Denali Park Tours

Ladytainn

We are booked on the May 6 Princess northbound cruise on the Star. We have the one night in Denali Lodge and one each at Mc Kinely and Anchorage.

Princess tours are showing every tour into the national park as sold out. Does anyone know if there are any other ways to see Denali and the wildlife other than a Princess tour?

It's a long way from Australia to NOT see the national park. We will be at Denali lodge on the 13 th May, McKinley lodge on the 14 th.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry you are way too early, if a priority to get into Denali. I'd suggest- you make a change NOW, despite cancellation costs and book later. You are only going to get the overpriced public road tour- Natural History tour, which doesn't get you INTO the park. If you stick with the current booking, I'm sure it is still a large cost sum perhaps. Ask yourself, how long will it be until you return? You are getting so little out of visit this early.

You are also going to run into some tours not operating on the inside passage, and humpbacks not fully migrated.

You already have a pretty dismal itinerary with the rest of your mainland tour, so do consider changing this.

I would check again, I am going May 20, and tours sold out a couple of days ago, are now available. Also the tundra tours shows sold out, I called my TA and they were able to upgrade our nature tour to the tundra tour. Good luck

Are you referencing the Tundra Wilderness Tour? The website indicates it doesn't start until June 1. Possibly a different tour you were upgraded to?

I would check again, I am going May 20, and tours sold out a couple of days ago, are now available. Also the tundra tours shows sold out, I called my TA and they were able to upgrade our nature tour to the tundra tour. Good luck

Well- 2 problems- the tours/shuttles aren't even for sale yet- with the VENDOR- and NO- Princess does not operate this tour, they are just taking advance orders and will be submitting them like everyone else. They go on sale for next season- December 1.

And they can "check" all they want- but there is NOT going to be any other "tour" option than the Natural History tour, they are too early in the season.

I always suggest alternatives for Princess cruise tours- that get money BACK. In your case only enhancement you are getting for triple the cost is the video screening, guide, (history details all available online), and box lunch. For some, the extra planning is well worth it.

Sorry you are way too early, if a priority to get into Denali. I'd suggest- you make a change NOW, despite cancellation costs and book later. You are only going to get the overpriced public road tour- Natural History tour, which doesn't get you INTO the park. If you stick with the current booking, I'm sure it is still a large cost sum perhaps. Ask yourself, how long will it be until you return? You are getting so little out of visit this early.

You are also going to run into some tours not operating on the inside passage, and humpbacks not fully migrated.

You already have a pretty dismal itinerary with the rest of your mainland tour, so do consider changing this.

Yikes the Denali Park visitor center isn't even open on the 13th!!

Are you referencing the Tundra Wilderness Tour? The website indicates it doesn't start until June 1. Possibly a different tour you were upgraded to?

Correct- The poster just doesn't have the details. All the more reason to consider the alternative suggestion, especially if Princess is charging the "usual" upgrade price??

It may be of no concern and just a helpful suggestion in general, as well for some readers.

Many alternative, key is finding the one that works for the visitor.

Problem solved you were right Craftygrandma, looks like sold out also means "not ready yet" they are starting to show now. Thank you for all the suggestions.

IF below happens to be what you purchased- you are NOT getting in the park.

Your tour doesn't even include the Natural History tour. The main visitor center isn't open either, and likely your "educational" tour, inclusion is just a visit to the Murie Science Center- which is free.

The ONLY option you "may" have, is a purchase of a Natural History tour, which only is 16 miles on the public road, and hardly worth the price. (since it is the same route as the free Savage River shuttle bus). Would depend on your time of the bus departure to the McKinley Princess.

Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge

Saturday, May 13

Direct-to-the-Wilderness rail service provides a fabulous beginning to an incredible journey, with magnificent scenery and friendly Princess service all along the way. You'll arrive refreshed for your very first night on land in Alaska at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. Easy trails link the various places to shop and dine in this campus setting. And of course, no matter where you are, the natural splendor of the park is never far away.

9 Mt. Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge (talkeetna)

Sunday, May 14

This morning, take an educational tour into Denali National Park. The views along the route from the Denali Lodge to our Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge aboard our motorcoach are truly sensational. But the main attraction is the 20,320-foot mountain itself, visible from nearly anywhere on the lodge's property.

10 Anchorage

Monday, May 15

The morning is free to either relax at the lodge or choose one of the many optional excursions. Continue by motorcoach to Anchorage for the night.

11 Anchorage

Tuesday, May 16

Your tour ends this morning in Anchorage.

We have also booked this early, we will be at Deneli Lodge on the 12. Our TA tried to book for us the Trunda Wilderness Tour, as mentioned in earlier posts, it is too early....dissappointed to be sure. The shorter tour MAY be available, that will be known as the spring season unfolds.

So we booked the ATV ride w/ dinner. May cancel and book directly w/ the vender, save $50.00. The new Price Guarentee doesn't work for land tours. Ladytainn, I'm sorry that it doesn't look promising for your visit to see the inner park, comming so far is a real bummer. You can still have an AWESOME visit to Alaska, so much to see and experience, you'll have a wonderful time!

Happy Planning, Sharon

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

We have also booked this early, we will be at Deneli Lodge on the 12. Our TA tried to book for us the Trunda Wilderness Tour, as mentioned in earlier posts, it is too early....dissappointed to be sure. The shorter tour MAY be available, that will be known as the spring season unfolds.

As I keep writing there is NO, "may be available". The dates are FIXED and the Natural History tour- which is the FIRST offer, does NOT start until May 13.

http://www.reservedenali.com has ALL the information and dates. They are NOT going to change.

I'm of alternative thinking. I don't compromise on my priorities. I make sure my visit allows for my Alaska touring priorities.

Budget Queen has tried to be blunt about rescheduling your Alaska trip. We were in Denali two years ago for the shortened Tundra Wilderness Tour. It only goes to Teklanika till June 1 which is nice but.... Glitter Gulch wasn't even fully open yet. Your Denali experience will be severely lacking.

Budget Queen has tried to be blunt about rescheduling your Alaska trip. We were in Denali two years ago for the shortened Tundra Wilderness Tour. It only goes to Teklanika till June 1 which is nice but.... Glitter Gulch wasn't even fully open yet. Your Denali experience will be severely lacking.

Yep, "blunt", but also very accurate. :)

the "hopeful" tone of some posts - is that there are going to be options. - There aren't. Opening dates are NOT going to change, Princess isn't going to work some magic and it's a waste of time double checking direct information (with links), with people (TA) who don't know what they are talking about- muddying the information.

Unfortunately, the 2 above posters are even earlier than the opening of Teklanika which is limited enough. They have NO option for getting in the park. Not even the worthless (my opinion) NHT. Only 1 1/2 miles open to the Murie Science and Learning Center. Why would anyone, subject themselves to all those hours of transit time- 10 by train Whittier/Denali, Anchorage/Denali train 8, 6 by road. and have everything closed?????

Edited by Budget Queen

Ok, I hear ya. Goodness, I was only passing on what I was informed. We are flexible, we compromise, we do what we can when we can and we intend to roll with whatever Alaska brings our way....sometimes reschedling trips isn't in the cards. Happy Crusing!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

I have booked a Teklanika tour now with Princess, rescheduling is not an option with Australian travel agents. I am now booked for whale watching, dog sledding and Teklanika tour in Denali, I'm very happy with this. Thank you for all the advice.