Bunk/sofa sleeper use and steward responsibility

2wheelin

First time with three in a balcony cabin. Cabin sleeps four but we are unsure if we will use bunk or sofa. Like to keep the sofa open for seating. If using bunk, will it be stowed each day or left down? Is it made up each day? How about with the sofa? I assume that would get made up each morning and set up each evening? Three adults but don't think any of us would have a problem with bunk. Sailing on the Dream and it appears bunk is over sofa.

Our DD loves the bed from wall (Paradise) and ceiling (Breeze) ! But each time they have put the bed away during the daytime hours. Then they open it again at the evening turn-down. However, when we have asked, they kindly open it early. Have fun!!

Edited by drgonzogoo

First time with three in a balcony cabin. Cabin sleeps four but we are unsure if we will use bunk or sofa. Like to keep the sofa open for seating. If using bunk, will it be stowed each day or left down? Is it made up each day? How about with the sofa? I assume that would get made up each morning and set up each evening? Three adults but don't think any of us would have a problem with bunk. Sailing on the Dream and it appears bunk is over sofa.

It will be stowed away in the AM.

Is third physically able to climb onto the upper? The thinness of the ladder rungs are very thin and hurt the feet. Also, I hang a pocket holder for a nightstand when sleeping up there.

If using...

Our uppers have been stowed away. Our sofabeds have remained as beds.

Edited by SadieN

We have sailed twice with 4 in the cabin and upper pull down was left down all day each day. It was tidied of course but down all day and night making the cabin pretty tight. We have sailed 3 in the cabin several times and I believe they made the couch back into a couch in the morning then a bed again at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was really surprised that on Carnival the couch and bunks are made up as beds on arrival and stayed that way the whole cruise. That seems to be the rule on Carnival not the exception. On every other cruise line I've been on, the beds are put away during the day and made up at night.

I was really surprised that on Carnival the couch and bunks are made up as beds on arrival and stayed that way the whole cruise. That seems to be the rule on Carnival not the exception. On every other cruise line I've been on, the beds are put away during the day and made up at night.

Carnival's sofabeds are mostly daybed style. Any foldouts (suites) are put away. The few we've had on HAL and Princess were foldout and put away for the day.

It won't on ships with once a day housekeeping service and you select evening. Either way we have always had to ask the sofa be converted from sofa to bed daily.

There are no ships with once a day only service. Everyone has the option of choosing both, and if they feel like they don't then they're just too timid to ask for it.

Just off the Breeze and our steward did ask how often we wanted cabin service, we took PM.

they will do as you ask.

The last time we sailed with 3 in a cabin was in 2014 - the bed was never put back to a couch throughout the 7 day sailing. I had several times - after the 3rd time I stopped asking.

I am sailing in a suite this time and we have other family sailing on the same cruise. We want to use the cabin as a gathering area so I will ask again for that happen. Since I know now on other ships folks do get this service I'll be more insistent.

When our DS were cruising with his 2 friends, they asked the steward to just make the bed in the morning and not stowed away. They like to hang out on their beds in the cabin in the PM before it is made up. So it's not a problem to tell your steward your preference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is third physically able to climb onto the upper? The thinness of the ladder rungs are very thin and hurt the feet. Also, I hang a pocket holder for a nightstand when sleeping up there.

If using...

Our uppers have been stowed away. Our sofabeds have remained as beds.

Thanks for asking about climbing into the bunk. I'll be able to do that even on my 69th birthday while on the cruise. I recently completed a warrior dash (5K obstacle course on a ski slope ending in a mud pit) and won age group. But I do know it is a reasonable question as I also beat 40% of those younger than me. Lol.

Thanks for all the good answers. We will decide on seeing it whether the bunk is in the way during the day and ask for service accordingly. If we should decide to use the sofa as a bed, it will not be left all day more than once!

I'm pretty low maintenance and don't want the steward to do unnecessary work with the bunk if not in the way. We'll ask for what we want as soon as we figure out what that is.

There are always 3 of us and we only book cabins for 3 (do not want to take chance of being moved out of a cabin for 4 as I do a lot of research on cabins and choose carefully) with sofa only.

We ask on the first day that the sofa be a sofa during the day and bed at night only. Never had any issues after asking.

We had a Vista suite on the Pride and asked that our daughters sofa bed be put back to a sofa during the day. We were told no and it stayed that way the whole cruise. Look in the rooms during embarkation. If there are the three or four in the room the beds are pulled out, made and stay that way. This has been on every one of the seven Carnival cruises I've been on.

We were recently on Triumph had twice a day service with 4 in a JS. Our steward put the roll away out each night and then back against the wall each day but left the couch as a bed the whole cruise. I'm sure if we'd of asked he would have converted it back and forth but for us it wasn't an issue. Everyone sat on the beds for the most part or in the chair.

One thing I didn't understand is where he placed DD's rollaway, he put it flush against the sofa bed but I'm fairly certain there was more than enough room to place it in the opening near the door and it wouldn't have blocked the door, in fact it looked like it was sized for a roll away.

The spot he put it in completely blocked the walking path from the door of the room to the other beds, you literally had to crawl over DDs bed to enter the room because her bed filled the space between the sofa and the cabinet with the sink. Not sure I'd sail in a JS again with 4 people and a roll away if this their standard placement. I don't want to pay for a suite and spend my week crawling in and out of my room over a bed.

Edited by poobears