Colon activities on your own near Colon port

bocaraton

If you've been there before you should know to stay out of the port area. Get off the boat and go directly into a cab and go somewhere. Nothing to do in town except look at poor people and likely get mugged or worse. We're enjoying the boat the day we're there. It's a crummy port in my view other than visiting the Gatun locks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute's Galeta Marine Labs is near Colon and their website notes that you can visit if you make a reservation. There is a small fee.

https://www.stri.si.edu/english/visit_us/galeta/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298428-d1036563-Reviews-The_Galeta_Marine_Laboratory-Colon_Colon_Province.html

If you haven't been to the Agua Clara Visitor Center to see the Canal Expansion, that might be an idea? Celebrity offers this as a tour and so do the colon independent tour operators.

Here now. Stayed near ship ... a few touristy vendors and back to ship thanks for advice.

Glad you played it safe. The excursions pass terrible areas just outside the port.If not on an excursion no reason to get off...even the fenced flea market is bad! Enjoy the cruise...

If you look thru binoculars at the "city" in the distance, you'll see it looks like a war zone....I know when we stopped there, we weren't ALLOWED out of the port area, without a ship's excursion.

Used almiza tours. Rey was guide. Pouring. But we watched ship go thru new locks. Saw visitor center. Crossed new bridge. Went to Frank gehry new museum did loads 6 of us on a great little van.. don't d Tay home get a real guide and 're something

If you've been there before you should know to stay out of the port area. Get off the boat and go directly into a cab and go somewhere. Nothing to do in town except look at poor people and likely get mugged or worse. We're enjoying the boat the day we're there. It's a crummy port in my view other than visiting the Gatun locks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We disembark in Colon. Any issues with leaving the ship and getting a taxi to take us to our hotel in Panama City?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for advice. We knew it CRummy but figures somebody knew something we missed. Why this ship is overnighting here must involve dockage fees. We stayed aboard the second day like a day at sea and were much better off. It is Nov.13. Are you onboard with us? Anyway for when we go to Carribbean it's a necessary stop to or from certain ports. As long as u treat it as a sea day it's a bonus.

We disembark in Colon. Any issues with leaving the ship and getting a taxi to take us to our hotel in Panama City?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Colon is a place you don't want to venture out on your own... going in a taxi or other private tour is not a problem.