Done with Carnival !

CRICKET07

:mad:

Just received an email that my cruise which was planned and paid for 6 months ago has been butchered...Valor Dec 11th cruise is being cut short so they can move the boat to Texas ...:mad: Well i'm sure this was not a last minute plan on their part...if we were given proper notice i could have gotten a decent cabin on the RCL...My last cruise on carnival was bad and I tried to give them another chance but that's it....I will not book our

Family groups on a Carnival cruise again....I will not recommend them to anyone....they will only get bad press from me......meat loaf at dinner that looked and smelled like dog food and fish and chips that were frozen fish sticks was so Bad.....but this unforgivable :mad:

I would be disappointed also if my cruise was being changed...oh wait I have.

Mechanical beasts sometimes develop mechanical issues.

But I can assure you that I did not develop a plan to lie to people out of spite.

I am guessing the OP didn't read any of the threads about the problems the Liberty was having the last two weeks or else they would have know this was not planned in advance. Carnival is in a no win situation here. They are going to anger people no matter what they do but making this change will affect less people overall.

I'm on the same Valor cruise. Sure, it's disappointing, but Carnival is trying to make it right by offering some compensation for the change. We are still going and accept the 25% off cruise rate and $25 per person onboard credit. They are also going to reimburse up to $200 per person for flight changes. Carnival is also offering full refunds for passengers who want to use that option.

We choose to make lemonade from the lemon we were handed. I hope after your initial disappoint fades you will be able to look forward to your vacation. We are going to cram as much fun into the the we have on the ship.

This is what I was looking for, thanks. This is completely reasonable compensation.

Just received an email that my cruise which was planned and paid for 6 months ago has been butchered...Valor Dec 11th cruise is being cut short so they can move the boat to Texas ...:mad: Well i'm sure this was not a last minute plan on their part...if we were given proper notice i could have gotten a decent cabin on the RCL...My last cruise on carnival was bad and I tried to give them another chance but that's it....I will not book our

Family groups on a Carnival cruise again....I will not recommend them to anyone....they will only get bad press from me......meat loaf at dinner that looked and smelled like dog food and fish and chips that were frozen fish sticks was so Bad.....but this unforgivable :mad:

I see you received the same CC response I did when I complained that they had pulled the Magic out without telling me and rescheduled me on the Breeze a week later also without any notification. When I called them to check on it all I got was a sales pitch to move over but nothing else. I had to cancel since my schedule was not flexible at that time but they persisted in doing everything to keep the booking. After some time of discussion they did finally agree to return my deposit. So welcome to the "warm" responses when you dare to complain about them on this board. :rolleyes:

Edited by satxdiver

I see you received the same CC response I did when I complained that they had pulled the Magic out without telling me and rescheduled me on the Breeze a week later also without any notification. When I called them to check on it all I got was a sales pitch to move over but nothing else. I had to cancel since my schedule was not flexible at that time but they persisted in doing everything to keep the booking. After some time of discussion they did finally agree to return my deposit. So welcome to the "warm" responses when you dare to complain about them on this board. :rolleyes:

I think the 'warm' responses went away with the OP's stated plans to tell outrageous lies.

I think the 'warm' responses went away with the OP's stated plans to tell outrageous lies.

Yep. I understand people venting and even choosing a different cruise line because of what happened but to come on here and vilify the company is not acceptable.

Op ,sorry this got you in an uproar. Sometimes anger takes the worst out of the best of us. Years ago I called my daughter in-law a horrible name and she stayed away for six months. So through my wife's consulting I finally apologized. But I swear it was the best six months of my life ;) :D

Op ,sorry this got you in an uproar. Sometimes anger takes the worst out of the best of us. Years ago I called my daughter in-law a horrible name and she stayed away for six months. So through my wife's consulting I finally apologized. But I swear it was the best six months of my life ;) :D

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] from your last sentence, I would guess the name you called her was appropriate!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was a last min deal. The liberty that is currently in Galveston has some issues so they are swaping them. Your cruise looks to be cut 1 day short while that stinks i would hardly call it butchered either way Have fun where ever you land its vacation after all.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

I can understand where the op is coming from. You plan and try to work out all the details and then it all changes. It happened to us on our first cruise where the itinerary changed totally on us. We still had a wonderful time but I was a bit disappointed in missing out on the ports we really wanted to see.

I am having issues with my next cruise as well. Valor being switched for Liberty. Now today I find our my FTTF was cancelled and they said there is a change in the sailing dates that I cannot see yet. I have been on hold with Carnival and waiting....

From a legal point of view, as former Vice-President Al Gore once said, "there is no controlling legal authority" Carnival really has the right to alter a cruise at any time, at any place, in any fashion. But just because the cruiseline has the right, does not mean it is the ethical way or a sign of a well run business.

What happened. Apparently Carnival has been having major problems with the propulsion system on the Carnival Liberty and is they have been forced to cancel several cruises. It can operate, but only at a reduce speed. Apparently Carnival feels that they can better sail it at a reduced speed out of Port Carnaveral and the Valor will be transferred to Texas. The fact that this causes major inconvenience in respect to many passengers is of little concern to Carnival, in that they realize that the majority of passengers will not complain and go with the flow. This is another example of the "Race to the Bottom" that we are seeing in many cruise lines, with Carnival taking the lead.

Drama queens by the boat loads.

I don't that as true. A lot of people have limited time they can go on vacation and save up for their ideal vacation. Having times and dates changed on you can affect your experience.

I know when I book a vacation I put a lot of thought in what I want to do and see and I also do a lot of research on the area and hotels/cruise ships before I book. Having a sudden change can make or break the deal.

Bit dramatic much dude?

Seriously?

LOL, Welcome to CC, I would expect no less.

My response is probably to the same point essentially and that is as a business you want to keep all of your customers coming back, without you they are out of business. They did not plan for a ship to have issues and they have tried to rectify them feverishly. I am sure this decision came after a multitude of COAs were looked at. The felt this decision would come with the least amount of anguish. Really this decision affected the cruise length of ONE cruise and there are a few cabins that will have issues as the ships are sisters but not exactly identical in cabins. The alternative is the continue to shorten or change itineraries out of Galveston for the unforeseen future until they can fix the issues permanently.

It WOULD suck to lose out on a day. For sure but make the best of whats left or like others have said in a different way; There are many other cruise lines to sail on.

What happened. Apparently Carnival has been having major problems with the propulsion system on the Carnival Liberty and is they have been forced to cancel several cruises. It can operate, but only at a reduce speed. Apparently Carnival feels that they can better sail it at a reduced speed out of Port Carnaveral and the Valor will be transferred to Texas. The fact that this causes major inconvenience in respect to many passengers is of little concern to Carnival, in that they realize that the majority of passengers will not complain and go with the flow. This is another example of the "Race to the Bottom" that we are seeing in many cruise lines, with Carnival taking the lead.

So, you think that leaving the under-propelled ship in Texas, meaning Carnival would probably have to alter ALL the itineraries from there, is a better solution than switching ships and altering a couple of itineraries?

Wouldn't that cause "major inconvenience in respect to many passengers" as well? I'm afraid I don't see the logic in your conclusion.

Yes, this move will disrupt a couple of sailings. Doing nothing would disrupt all Liberty sailings.

To OP: I love the Fish & Chips station. It's the reason I enjoy the Conquest-class ships. And catsup is NOT what you put on real F&C (although the chips should be fat, not skinny). It needs malt vinegar, which is provided. Yes, it's greasy. F&C should be. Guess you folks have never visited the British Isles. ;)

From a legal point of view, as former Vice-President Al Gore once said, "there is no controlling legal authority" Carnival really has the right to alter a cruise at any time, at any place, in any fashion. But just because the cruiseline has the right, does not mean it is the ethical way or a sign of a well run business.

There is a controlling legal authority in CCL's case though and it's called the contract, which does give them the right to modify itineraries, etc. Of course they can't do this wantonly but when forced to by outside forces then they can. In Liberty's case it's my understanding they are giving passengers the opportunity to cancel with full refund or if they choose to sail they will receive a $50 per person OBC and a 25% credit off a future cruise, so even though CCL has the right to make the changes the company realizes that it must do something to ease the sting for the passengers.

In the case of the Liberty the repairs will take some time to get ready for (the parts are not readily available) so CCL decided that the best thing to do was reposition Liberty to a Florida port where speed is not essential in arriving at the next port due to the close proximity of the islands.

OP (if you're still around): I remember on our 2nd cruise, Empress of the Seas, the captain came on and said that instead of going to Cozumel as planned, we would head from Key West to Nassau. Seemed there was a hurricane south of Cozumel that we probably could have outrun, but it would not have been very pleasant.

I was dumbfounded and furious, since I had wanted to go to Cozumel for 10 years, and I was missing what I thought might be my only opportunity for a good long time; this cruise was a reward from work, and who knew how long it would be before we could afford the time and money to cruise again? We had also already been to Nassau on our first cruise, and I really wanted to try something different.

I kept looking at the charts and wondering why the captain would do such a thing! We could make it! It didn't help that I was 4 months postpartum.:p I vented to my hubby for about half an hour. We then enjoyed the rest of our sea day, woke up the next day and had a nice beach day in Nassau. I got over it.

Turns out I've been to Cozumel so many times since then that I have the island memorized. What I thought would be our last cruise in many years turned out to be the second of many over the past 14 years.

I say all that to say that I understand how frustrating it is to expect one thing and get another. How it's handled may even be enough to say enough! Never using that company again. It's all good! One of these days I'll venture out of the Carnival/RC loop we seem to be stuck in and try something else. It seems even since our last cruise more things have changed on Carnival, and apparently not for the better. We'll see how we like it on the Dream in a few weeks, and on the Majesty OTS a few weeks after that, and make our choices from there.

So, you think that leaving the under-propelled ship in Texas, meaning Carnival would probably have to alter ALL the itineraries from there, is a better solution than switching ships and altering a couple of itineraries?

Wouldn't that cause "major inconvenience in respect to many passengers" as well? I'm afraid I don't see the logic in your conclusion.

Yes, this move will disrupt a couple of sailings. Doing nothing would disrupt all Liberty sailings.

To OP: I love the Fish & Chips station. It's the reason I enjoy the Conquest-class ships. And catsup is NOT what you put on real F&C (although the chips should be fat, not skinny). It needs malt vinegar, which is provided. Yes, it's greasy. F&C should be. Guess you folks have never visited the British Isles. ;)

Solution: Fix the propulsion system ASAP.

There is a controlling legal authority in CCL's case though and it's called the contract, which does give them the right to modify itineraries, etc. Of course they can't do this wantonly but when forced to by outside forces then they can. In Liberty's case it's my understanding they are giving passengers the opportunity to cancel with full refund or if they choose to sail they will receive a $50 per person OBC and a 25% credit off a future cruise, so even though CCL has the right to make the changes the company realizes that it must do something to ease the sting for the passengers.

In the case of the Liberty the repairs will take some time to get ready for (the parts are not readily available) so CCL decided that the best thing to do was reposition Liberty to a Florida port where speed is not essential in arriving at the next port due to the close proximity of the islands.

Is Carnival going to reimburse all the passengers who booked on the Valor and now will be sailing on a ship with a malfunctioning propulsion system which could possibly give out any anytime? Is Carnival willing to take the risk of the ship being adrift between ports... MS Carnival Splendor?

I believe that Carnival has done a cost benefit analysis - whether or not you agree with it - that because of the nature of the repair, this current solution is the best. If you have read the myriad of other threads on the subject, the repair requires a massive overhaul including cutting open the hull of the ship, as well as parts availability issues. She is scheduled for a 2 week dry dock in early December and this type of repair is not going to be feasible in this time frame.

Therefore, rather than pulling the ship out of service now for a heaven's only knows how long repair, including an unknown wait on parts, thus destroying the vacations of 10's of thousands of cruisers, they have made a swap. Yes, a few people (relative to the aforementioned) will be unhappy or inconvenienced. But they are trading sister ships, one year apart in age with almost identical amenities. The Liberty is more than capable of making the shorter FL/Bahamas runs that Valor was. This move makes sense.

So for you unlucky few that are affected by the immediate cruises that actually have plans altered, I am sorry. But, please, try to step back and look at it from a larger perspective - they are trying to keep all ships effectively operational and it serves the greater good, for Carnival, and all those that were booked on the Liberty for the unforeseen future.

They are going to fix it As Soon As Possible, when the parts are available. They can't just run down to the NAPA store and get them and unfortunately there is a long lead time for the parts in question according to the resident expert on this board who is a Chief Engineer.

Is Carnival going to reimburse all the passengers who booked on the Valor and now will be sailing on a ship with a malfunctioning propulsion system which could possibly give out any anytime? Is Carnival willing to take the risk of the ship being adrift between ports... MS Carnival Splendor?

The ship is perfectly safe to operate or the powers that be wouldn't allow it to sail. It is only one of several motors that is affected and this only keeps the ship from sailing at top speed. Ship still has enough speed to make it from Florida to the nearby islands of the Bahamas.