Please help me choose a tour

stephensfamily5

My husband and I will be on the Carnival Fascination, docking in St. Lucia in Jan., 2017 from 8-5. After reading about the lush greenery and mountains, St. Lucia is the island we are most looking forward to visiting.

I have read numerous places that an Island Land and Sea tour is the way to go, but there are several variations of this. I think that I have narrowed it down to 3: the Carnival Land and Sea Combo, Joy's Adventure Excursion, or James' Land and Sea Tour. I also considered Cosol's, but most people seemed to prefer having a boat ride for part of it.

We are both in our mid-50's, are active and in decent shape, although arthritis and a little extra weight slows us down a little. We love nature, taking pictures, culture, enjoy wandering through a market or a plantation or anything new to us but typical on the island. We also enjoy snorkeling or just relaxing on a beach. We enjoy a drink or two, but the party scene is not a highlight for us.

The Carnival Land and Sea Combo costs $89, gets good reviews, starts with a 1.5 hr. bus ride to the Botanical Gardens and Diamond Mineral Waterfall, then board a catamaran, where lunch is served while sailing; there is a stop at a beautiful secluded beach (not named) on the way back. I like this because it is through Carnival, no worries about being broken down and not making it back to the ship. It is also the cheapest option, and includes both the bus ride and the catamaran.

Joy's Adventure Excursion receives outstanding reviews and costs $100. They pick us up at the pier, so we don't have to worry about transportation. This tour is mostly by speedboat, with the land portion taking you to the volcano and mudbaths. The tour includes:

MARIGOT BAY

SOUFRIERE BAT CAVE

MUDBATHS AT DRIVE IN VOLCANO

TORAILLE WATERFALL (POWER SHOWER)

AUTHENTIC ST. LUCIAN CREOLE LUNCH

SNORKELING AT Sugar Beach

One of the positive comments made by reviewers is that they beat the other cruise ship passengers to the volcano and mud baths. The time is supposed to be from 8:30-3:30, so that would leave us a good hour and a half before the ship departs.

James' Land and Sea Tour also receives outstanding reviews, is the most expensive, at $115, but includes both the land drive and a catamaran trip back. It starts at 9, and is 5 hours, so it is a shorter tour than the other two. The drive goes through Castries, a banana plantation, a fishing village, and through rain forest to Piton Falls, Sulphur Springs, enjoying a mud bath before some beach and snorkeling time at Anse Cochon near the Ti Kaye Resort And Spa. Finally you are returned to the dock by catamaran.

I appreciate any thoughts- is the scenery similiar if I decided to do only land or Joys' primarily boat tour? Is one better to get a view/picture of the Pitons? Is anyone familiar with the snorkeling at the areas mentioned? And have you ever heard of anyone missing their cruise ship due to difficulties on these tours?? Any other thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

We are cruising the caribbean over Christmas and will be stopping in St. Lucia on December 23rd. We have booked Joy's tour and I will provide a review after our trip. I realize that you want to make your choice before that but we chose it from the great reviews on TripAdvisor and are hoping it lives up to the expectations. Stay tuned.

We have visited St Lucia twice and are planning a third soon. Both times we toured with Franks Taxi&Tours St Lucia. We will do it again for sure. He is a wonderful man who loves his island and knows everyone. Frank will take you all over the island and show you everything you want to see. I'm sure he will sing to you too! Tell him Jenny and Tony from Ottawa say hi. He has a facebook page as well and we enjoy perusing it. You will love St Lucia.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well now I found Serenity Tours, which offer a tour similiar to James Land and Sea, but is $15 cheaper, and I believe has lunch at The Beacon, with incredible views and food. Now I am leaning toward Serenity.

Thoughts?

I have not taken a tour with either one of them but did take a look at their websites. Serenity has not much presence on cruise critic but they do have great reviews on TripAdvisor. The tours as similar but as I read through Serenity's review on Tripadvisor they seem to be leaning to what you are looking for in your first post. James does also seem to have great reviews. Perhaps you should contact each of them. They both have contact numbers. James has a cell phone 758 712 6285 and Serenity has a toll free number 1 866 766 0794. Maybe speaking with them can clarify a few things.

We took the Carnival Land and sea a couple of year's back. Preferred the sea part to the land which was a bit too long for us. The beach they stop at is Anse Cochon - great fun.We had a good view of Pitons from Soufriere where we got the boat and on Carnival Victory we had a good early morning view before docking at Castries. Like to say it's nice to have the security of not missing the ship.

My husband and I will be on the Carnival Fascination, docking in St. Lucia in Jan., 2017 from 8-5. After reading about the lush greenery and mountains, St. Lucia is the island we are most looking forward to visiting.

I have read numerous places that an Island Land and Sea tour is the way to go, but there are several variations of this. I think that I have narrowed it down to 3: the Carnival Land and Sea Combo, Joy's Adventure Excursion, or James' Land and Sea Tour. I also considered Cosol's, but most people seemed to prefer having a boat ride for part of it.

We are both in our mid-50's, are active and in decent shape, although arthritis and a little extra weight slows us down a little. We love nature, taking pictures, culture, enjoy wandering through a market or a plantation or anything new to us but typical on the island. We also enjoy snorkeling or just relaxing on a beach. We enjoy a drink or two, but the party scene is not a highlight for us.

The Carnival Land and Sea Combo costs $89, gets good reviews, starts with a 1.5 hr. bus ride to the Botanical Gardens and Diamond Mineral Waterfall, then board a catamaran, where lunch is served while sailing; there is a stop at a beautiful secluded beach (not named) on the way back. I like this because it is through Carnival, no worries about being broken down and not making it back to the ship. It is also the cheapest option, and includes both the bus ride and the catamaran.

Our choice would be the Carnival Land & Sea Combo for your first time in St. Lucia! :D

I can't say enough good things about Spencer Ambrose's Land, Sea & Beach adventure. It's $105 per person and it has a bit or everything. It includes beverages (including beer) and lunch at the beach or at a quaint restaurant. They pick you up at the pier at 9am (group is assembled around 8:30am) and have you back between 3-3:30pm. I've been to St. Lucia three times in just over two years and every time I pick Spencer. Planing on a 2018 return but more than likely will be taking the shorter Beach Break option with them.

I can't say enough good things about Spencer Ambrose's Land, Sea & Beach adventure. It's $105 per person and it has a bit or everything. It includes beverages (including beer) and lunch at the beach or at a quaint restaurant. They pick you up at the pier at 9am (group is assembled around 8:30am) and have you back between 3-3:30pm. I've been to St. Lucia three times in just over two years and every time I pick Spencer. Planing on a 2018 return but more than likely will be taking the shorter Beach Break option with them.

I second this. We did Spencer's "Land, Sea & Beach" adventure in September 2015 and really enjoyed it. We liked that we went directly by speedboat to Soufriere, where we then got into air conditioned vans for the "land" part of the tour, instead of taking the hour and a half drive on steep and windy roads by van or bus. Most of St. Lucia's sights are right around Soufriere anyway (drive-in volcano, mud baths, Toraille Waterfall, banana farm, over look with great view of Petit Piton). Once finished with the land part of the tour, we transferred from the vans back into the speedboat for a 15 minute ride to Jalousie Beach, where we had 2 and a half hours. That allowed plenty of time to enjoy the snorkeling (best we've seen) and relax on the beach with beverages without feeling rushed. We had the buffet lunch on the beach (very good), but sometimes they'll have the lunch in a restaurant. It may depend on the size of the tours. The day we were there, we were the only ship in port and had a smaller tour group. When it's time to leave, you're taken back to the ship by speedboat & that's when you get the "Sea Tour". There are several stops along the way for explanations and photo opportunities, including great views of the Pitons from the water, coastal towns, other places of interest (bat cave, rock formations, famous "arch"), and a tour of Marigot Bay. We were back at the ship with plenty of time to spare.

I second this. We did Spencer's "Land, Sea & Beach" adventure in September 2015 and really enjoyed it. We liked that we went directly by speedboat to Soufriere, where we then got into air conditioned vans for the "land" part of the tour, instead of taking the hour and a half drive on steep and windy roads by van or bus. Most of St. Lucia's sights are right around Soufriere anyway (drive-in volcano, mud baths, Toraille Waterfall, banana farm, over look with great view of Petit Piton). Once finished with the land part of the tour, we transferred from the vans back into the speedboat for a 15 minute ride to Jalousie Beach, where we had 2 and a half hours. That allowed plenty of time to enjoy the snorkeling (best we've seen) and relax on the beach with beverages without feeling rushed. We had the buffet lunch on the beach (very good), but sometimes they'll have the lunch in a restaurant. It may depend on the size of the tours. The day we were there, we were the only ship in port and had a smaller tour group. When it's time to leave, you're taken back to the ship by speedboat & that's when you get the "Sea Tour". There are several stops along the way for explanations and photo opportunities (we liked that if people are wanting to take pictures, they will turn the boat so everyone has an opportunity to pictures of the sights). Those sights including great views of the Pitons from the water, coastal towns, other places of interest (bat cave, rock formations, famous "arch"), and a tour of Marigot Bay. We were back at the ship with plenty of time to spare.

• 1 month later...

we are deciding now which tour to take.... leaning towards Joy's, but there seems to be a price discrepancy...friends of our went recently (Nov 2016) and paid $75 US.... I contacted them and told me $100 US..My family is 8 people and I am looking for insight from recent tour takers... Happy New Year!

We went with Joy tours and it was fantastic! I wouldn't hesitate to book them again. I loved how they boated us to and from the port instead of inland travel.

I know it was in 2014, so not recent like you asked but I really enjoyed it

I wrote a blog about it with pictures at tallamazon1.blogspot.com

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on RCL Adventure of the Seas last week and our Tuesday port of call was St.Lucia.

On a prior cruise stop in St.Lucia we used Cosol for a full day island tour that was very good.

Last week we opted for the Spence Ambrose Beach Tour.

We were picked up right at the cruise port and took a Spencer Ambrose speed boat to the beach that is directly between the two Pitons. Had access to beach chairs + shade for entire day. Spencer provided a full local lunch on the beach.

The beach itself is adjacent to Sugar Beach Resort (a $1000plus a night high end resort )and actually used their beach for our swimming ( water was beautiful). As in most places, beach and waterfront is always public just don't use the resort's sunbeds. There was also snorkeling available, Spencer also had snorkel gear available for your use.

At around 14:15 we reboarded the speed boat and during the return trip ,it made 5 or 6 brief stops for pictures and sightseeing along the coast line.

This Spencer Ambrose beach tour was an excellent choice and a good value ( $90 pp all inclusive).

Also can add a land tour piece to what we did and have both beach+land tour in one day.

We got back to cruise port by 15:30, an hour before our ship departed.

Whatever you chose to do in St.Lucia, please enjoy.

Contact e-mail: spencer7114@gmail.com