Vertical Gastric Sleeve 2 weeks before cruise?

shaq&cocoa

Anyone have any experience with cruising only 2 weeks post gastric sleeve?

I know my diet will be very limited. I am wondering if they will have greek yogurt on board. I thought my surgery would be in November and I ended up with a Dec 31st date and a cruise that I cannot cancel for Jan 15th. :eek:

I would appreciate any advice on bringing item on the ship like yogurt and protein shakes.

I know you can bring shakes, if they don't have to be refrigerated....they have yogurt, but whether it's "greek"..don't know.

You will have a dorm cube fridge to chill your shakes once onboard....it's not big, tho. They have soft foods, too....so there will be things for you to try. I'm thinking this is gonna be an uncomfortable trip for you....

I am 4 weeks post-op today, and am cruising on November 27th. The first question is how long your doctor will have you on pureed foods. If he will allow soft foods, that opens up your options a lot. Think about scrambled eggs, flaked fish, refried beans, cheeses, maybe the crab salad, egg salad or tuna salads at the buffet. I do a LOT of shrimp. They will always have yogurt. If they don't have Greek yogurt, you can bring some unflavored protein powder to mix in yogurt and/or pudding. If they don't have egg salad, you can take some of the hard boiled egg pieces from the salad bar and mix them with mayo yourself.

Some ships offer smoothies. I am planning to take individual protein powder packets and asking them to mix them in my smoothies.

Definitely bring your shakes!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Honestly, if it were me, I would probably change my surgery date to post-cruise and use the cruise as my "food funeral." lol

Edited by payitforward

I thought about changing my surgery. The truth is I would have to start over on my deductible, which I have already met this year and that is more than the cruise price. I figure worst case scenario I eat eggs, yogurt & protein shakes, relax and enjoy the week off work, or if I don't feel up to it, stay home and miss the cruise.

Thanks for the advice, according to my Dr's plan I will be on soft foods and protein shakes.

I thought about changing my surgery. The truth is I would have to start over on my deductible, which I have already met this year and that is more than the cruise price. I figure worst case scenario I eat eggs, yogurt & protein shakes, relax and enjoy the week off work, or if I don't feel up to it, stay home and miss the cruise.... Thanks for the advice, according to my Dr's plan I will be on soft foods and protein shakes.

I hope all goes well for you. :)

There is no Greek yogurt available on board. There is plain yogurt and one or two fruit yogurts per day in the individual containers. It's Yoplait or something similar (have eaten it on every cruise). Concerning the protein shakes, can you take protein powder and make your own shakes on board? You can get milk in the buffet and in the dining room, if that is your liquid of choice.

I thought about changing my surgery. The truth is I would have to start over on my deductible, which I have already met this year and that is more than the cruise price. I figure worst case scenario I eat eggs, yogurt & protein shakes, relax and enjoy the week off work, or if I don't feel up to it, stay home and miss the cruise.

Thanks for the advice, according to my Dr's plan I will be on soft foods and protein shakes.

Are you staying overnight in the hospital? If I recall correctly, I believe you said your surgery date was Dec 31. So, if you wind up staying past midnight you may very well trigger a new deductible anyway. Plus, any post-op complications may have the same financial result. You may also want to consider that Dec 31 this year is on a Saturday, and having elective surgery on a weekend, a Holiday weekend at that, is not something that I would personally do. (I work in the operating room, so know what goes on). I would postpone the surgery until after the cruise. In an attempt to keep his/her schedule full, the surgeon may give you some pushback on this, however- that is not an easy, run-of-the-mill day to fill, so they may tell you that you will have a very long wait to reschedule. Remember, you are the paying customer, and there are many surgeons doing this procedure, so the choice is yours.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a speed y recovery, and an amazing cruise!

Are you staying overnight in the hospital? If I recall correctly, I believe you said your surgery date was Dec 31. So, if you wind up staying past midnight you may very well trigger a new deductible anyway. Plus, any post-op complications may have the same financial result. You may also want to consider that Dec 31 this year is on a Saturday, and having elective surgery on a weekend, a Holiday weekend at that, is not something that I would personally do. (I work in the operating room, so know what goes on). I would postpone the surgery until after the cruise. In an attempt to keep his/her schedule full, the surgeon may give you some pushback on this, however- that is not an easy, run-of-the-mill day to fill, so they may tell you that you will have a very long wait to reschedule. Remember, you are the paying customer, and there are many surgeons doing this procedure, so the choice is yours.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a speed y recovery, and an amazing cruise!

Thank you :)

Let me start this by saying I am 4 months post lapband to RNY.

Two weeks after my surgery I was on pureed foods, if you are going to be on soft foods I can't see you having much of a problem. Bring your shakes, I was told by RCCL special needs that all shakes must be in original SEALED containers and non perishable. So if you have a favorite powder I would get sample packs, I am bringing some premier protein shakes so that I don't have to bring the powders. I am still drinking one shake a day!

They were also going to contact the ship to ask about greek yogurt though I don't think that's going to happen!

Overall, I would call special needs so they know you are sailing and I would also get notes from your doctor that it's ok to sail, along with any dietary restrictions you may have. The special needs department will notate your reservation as well.

I am VERY sensitive to fats with my pouch, so I have to be careful but there aren't many things I "can't have," I just have to be very careful and I know the signs when my pouch has had enough. You will too!

Go and enjoy yourself - be mindful of your choices and good luck with the surgery - mine has opened up things in life I never thought possible!!!

Your surgeon is willing to release you for international travel 2 weeks after major surgery? No doctor I know would ever tell a patient before surgery that within 2 weeks of something this major you will able to travel internationally without a hospital within 15 minutes. Please speak to your support network of other people who have had this surgery about their first weeks and months post op. Its more than what you can and can not eat.

Do Not think for one minute that the physician on board is the same as a hospital. Think of it like a urgent care, anything to do with a very sick patient requires a evacuation. Gastric sleeve surgery complications are varied and many. It will cause a patient to become very ill rapidly fast. Normal post surgical pain and the meds to manage it can mask issues that are developing. I doubt the ship would allow you to board if they know you are this close to surgery.

Do not put your life at risk for a cruise no vacation is worth it period. Do you have trip insurance? if you have insurance it might cover you not traveling. If you don't have insurance and you have to be evacuated the cost will be astronomical for international treatment and transfers.

Your surgeon is willing to release you for international travel 2 weeks after major surgery? No doctor I know would ever tell a patient before surgery that within 2 weeks of something this major you will able to travel internationally without a hospital within 15 minutes. Please speak to your support network of other people who have had this surgery about their first weeks and months post op. Its more than what you can and can not eat.

Do Not think for one minute that the physician on board is the same as a hospital. Think of it like a urgent care, anything to do with a very sick patient requires a evacuation. Gastric sleeve surgery complications are varied and many. It will cause a patient to become very ill rapidly fast. Normal post surgical pain and the meds to manage it can mask issues that are developing. I doubt the ship would allow you to board if they know you are this close to surgery.

Do not put your life at risk for a cruise no vacation is worth it period. Do you have trip insurance? if you have insurance it might cover you not traveling. If you don't have insurance and you have to be evacuated the cost will be astronomical for international treatment and transfers.

These are all very good points, and things to consider. I too have seen many complications from this particular surgical procedure, and while exceedingly rare, some can become life threatening extremely quickly. Rescue by air is very expensive, is not available everywhere, and some patients are not even candidates. Even if you do have trip insurance, I would make sure it covers complications from surgery within x period of time.

I'm not sure if sleeve is much different than bypass, but you should still be on all liquid for the most part. Plus you are not going to feel like doing anything, much less travel across the country and get on a boat. You'll never leave your cabin. 1st month is hell, good luck.

Oh, and look into Isopure protein water as a alternate to shakes. 40G of protein in a 20 oz bottle. Drink one a day

Edited by John&LaLa

These are all very good points, and things to consider. I too have seen many complications from this particular surgical procedure, and while exceedingly rare, some can become life threatening extremely quickly. Rescue by air is very expensive, is not available everywhere, and some patients are not even candidates. Even if you do have trip insurance, I would make sure it covers complications from surgery within x period of time.

Both make amazing points. While OP has been given the green light and it is none of our business, I question the decision as well. :o

...you are not going to feel like doing anything, much less travel across the country and get on a boat. You'll never leave your cabin. 1st month is hell, good luck.

My first cruise after cancer treatment, I was excited to go and thought I will simply relax and do as much as I can. Well, my immune system was still compromised and I was sick as a dog while on that cruise. DH went into port without me one day, could not get out of bed (post-cancer stuff and other issues, NOT Noro). While I very much wanted to go on this cruise as a celebration, it ended up being kind of a drag. :(

I'm not sure if sleeve is much different than bypass, but you should still be on all liquid for the most part. Plus you are not going to feel like doing anything, much less travel across the country and get on a boat. You'll never leave your cabin. 1st month is hell, good luck.

Oh, and look into Isopure protein water as a alternate to shakes. 40G of protein in a 20 oz bottle. Drink one a day

I think that everyone is different - I had my surgery 6 days prior to 4th of July and was up and out at our city's 4th of July Celebration! The first month wasn't hell for me at all. The first day was. After that it was all about getting in my liquids and protein. I had energy and was up walking around etc. I was back at work remotely two days after surgery and physically a week after. It's a common misconception (and why a lot of employers elect for insurance that won't cover bariatric surgery) that recovery is months long. IF you follow your surgeons instructions you should be ok! (Barring any complications of course.)

I think that everyone is different - I had my surgery 6 days prior to 4th of July and was up and out at our city's 4th of July Celebration! The first month wasn't hell for me at all. The first day was. After that it was all about getting in my liquids and protein. I had energy and was up walking around etc. I was back at work remotely two days after surgery and physically a week after. It's a common misconception (and why a lot of employers elect for insurance that won't cover bariatric surgery) that recovery is months long. IF you follow your surgeons instructions you should be ok! (Barring any complications of course.)

Just because you were fine doesn't mean overall that's common. Insurance companies see the whole picture and know how much it costs when complications happen, and how often complications happen.

And you didn't know you would be fine until it was over and done with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I was okay after the first week. I was also on soft foods after a week. I was able to eat all of the things I listed above without any issues. But again, every surgeon is different and every patient is different. For my upcoming cruise, I did take out extra insurance to cover any medical emergencies - just in case. While I am doing great and feel fine, you never know.

Just because you were fine doesn't mean overall that's common. Insurance companies see the whole picture and know how much it costs when complications happen, and how often complications happen.

And you didn't know you would be fine until it was over and done with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again - I said everyone is different and barring complications. It's not the insurance companies I was referencing but employers and what they opt to offer for coverage to employees.

I was confident I was in good hands and wouldn't have complications because I trusted my surgeon.

I am 9 years out from my VSG and can tell you it is vastly different than a bypass. For a VSG they remove about 80% of the stomach so you end up with a banana shaped stomach that can hold about 4 ounces. Recovery time varies but I was back at work full time at one week (desk job) and felt great. I wish I could have taken a cruise at that time! At two weeks you will most likely still be sipping a lot of liquids and only very soft foods, i.e. soft scrambled eggs, cottage cheese and yogurt. Bring your protein powder and shakes and rely on them. Do not push yourself to eat things you know you shouldn't - being overfull and getting the "foamies" ain't fun and it ain't pretty! Good luck on your VSG journey and remember - it is a tool, not a miracle. :)

I was OK pretty quickly after my lap band surgery, after the first few days of post op pain, but 2 weeks after surgery, I ended up in the hospital for a week getting my gall bladder out, and pancreatitis that nearly killed me from what I was told. Apparently gall bladder issues are a common post surgery complication/issue/problem, whatever you want to call it.

If the doc says its fine though, and you feel fine, and comfortable going on a trip, have fun, and just be cautious :)

I think one of the biggest problems with going that early is that you don't know your limitations yet. Your eyes can still, almost literally, be bigger than your stomach. You will not have really learned about your own stomach size but also learned to account for the food in your throat that hasn't gotten to your stomach. You're also still learning to say no. The surgery is only a tool to force you to do so or suffer very unpleasant consequences.

I went on my first cruise 5 months after RNY and I had many problems because I wanted "just a bite". Well, one bite can be one bite too many.

I know the procedures are different, and I wish I had the VSG, but there is one common thread: the stomach is really small. I wish you tremendous luck and success with your procedure.