Friends just off the Magic.

volmoma

Why has the entertainment suffered such a cut?? No live bands?? One guy, one girl......computerized music....Violins??? Horns??? Did I miss something in the translation? One show in the theater? I'm totally confused. Anyone just off the Magic out of Port Canaveral that could confirm Or deny this? Booked in February and April on the Magic, if this is the case we'll rebook...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why has the entertainment suffered such a cut?? No live bands?? One guy, one girl......computerized music....Violins??? Horns??? Did I miss something in the translation? One show in the theater? I'm totally confused. Anyone just off the Magic out of Port Canaveral that could confirm Or deny this? Booked in February and April on the Magic, if this is the case we'll rebook...

entertainment has been cut back for quite awhile now. The main reason CCL is not my go to cruise line anymore.

I see they are doing just fine without me though.:)

Bill

We were on the Magic this past June and I thought the musical entertainment was great. There was a great band in the Alchemy Bar. And a great duet (guy/girl) in the atrium everyday. The piano bar was always packed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rebook to what??

I was on the Magic in August and I loved it. I'm not into the production shows (I've been on 18 cruises with CCL) so I can't really comment on them - but I know there was more than one show on our 7 day cruise. I loved the band in the Ocean Plaza - we spent several nights hanging out at the Alchemy Bar listening to them. There was also a guitarist in the Red Frog Pub that enjoyed several times throughout the cruise. I also thought the duo was good.

Though what you like is a personal preference - there was definitely live music other than the duo.

I was on the Magic in August and I loved it. I'm not into the production shows (I've been on 18 cruises with CCL) so I can't really comment on them - but I know there was more than one show on our 7 day cruise. I loved the band in the Ocean Plaza - we spent several nights hanging out at the Alchemy Bar listening to them. There was also a guitarist in the Red Frog Pub that enjoyed several times throughout the cruise. I also thought the duo was good.

Though what you like is a personal preference - there was definitely live music other than the duo.

Agreed. There were actually two live bands on Magic when I was on there late April - early May. The Alterr band and 50 Shades of Groove. I enjoyed both of them. I cant comment on the theater shows. Never even went in there. Im over cruise ship production shows already. The Red Frog Pub and Ocean Plaza is where I spent most of my time

We cruised the Magic in Oct... absolutely the worst entertainment to date... its the same tired Welcome show.. and only 2 shows if I remember correctly.. 1 hypnotist.... he was HORRIBLE... Thein Fu (sp) is always entreating, but is more suited to a smaller venue.. I do have to say the overdone Legends show was the best to date.

I was not thrilled with the broken mirrors in bathrooms.. light out in the comedy club and dinning room... its a very tired ship.

That being said, I enjoyed my cruise.. we had a spa cabin and had a great time using it everyday.

I had decided to try another cruise line based on this experience, but have booked the Vista to try to fall in love with Carnival again...

I cruise 2-3 times a year, and maybe that's the problem... but I have certainly noticed a BIG slide in Carnival shows.. its sad

We were on the Magic in June and loved to sit and listen to Alterr as well. We love the 5 member bands opposed to solos or duos. But if Alterr is no longer on the ship and have not been resigned or replaced with another band we would be looking at another Carnival ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Magic in June and loved to sit and listen to Alterr as well. We love the 5 member bands opposed to solos or duos. But if Alterr is no longer on the ship and have not been resigned or replaced with another band we would be looking at another Carnival ship.

I think they have moved to Liberty now. I am friends with the bass player on Facebook and someone tagged him in a pic saying great Liberty cruise

I think they have moved to Liberty now. I am friends with the bass player on Facebook and someone tagged him in a pic saying great Liberty cruise

Great to know! I'll keep in touch on their where about! [emoji450]

We just got off the Magic today! We went to a couple of the live shows, they even premiered a brand new one that had only been on the Vista - Flick. It was really neat! Their one show was supposed to be a guy who was on America's Got Talent, but didn't make the boat in Grand Turk. We went to the other show, 88 Keys, which we enjoyed.

For music that we saw/heard, there was an amazing string trio! Even my 13 year old son thought they were great and would stop to listen when he was out and about the ship. They would play in the magic lounge or outside the dining room. Then there was some band that played 80's night, and I believe their name was something related to that. We did not think they were that good at all. The other was a man & woman (I think they were called Music & Magic), but they would play in the Ocean Plaza or Magic Lounge and we all thought they were great. I have a video of them.

Lots of cut back and they charge more and more $$$.

Computerized music is hardly new. Major production shows have never been a huge component in a Carnival cruise. Live music yes, but that being gone is not new.

Sailed the Magic in August. Saw two shows. Shows aren't really my thing though. It was probably thee most entertainment-filled cruise I've been on with lots of activities including a band nightly in Ocean Plaza which we enjoyed and at least two different soloists in the Atrium. We were never bored and actually felt like we missed doing some things just because there wasn't enough time with just two sea days. Only you can decide if you want to rebook.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Entertainment preferences are subjective, so this is my, and only mine, opinion:

I just got back from the Magic on n November 12th -- two weeks ago. Your friends are correct. The entertainment on this ship was the worse I've seen 19 Carnival cruises.

The main theater only had two shows that I was aware of. The welcome aboard show -- some lame mind reader act pushing his books and CDs mainly, and some production show -- that we did not attend, so I can offer no opinion on that one. Other than that it was the CDs lame game shows... Oh and of course bingo, bingo, bingo...

There were a couple of "cover bands" that rotated among the bars, I can't remember who they were, because they were so bad I couldn't stand to sit and listen to them.

No live bands on lido - DJ only and then only a few times during the seven day cruise.

The best entertainment I found on the ship was the "Dive In" movies.

Sadly, cruising is not what it used to be.

We just got off the Magic today! We went to a couple of the live shows, they even premiered a brand new one that had only been on the Vista - Flick. It was really neat! Their one show was supposed to be a guy who was on America's Got Talent, but didn't make the boat in Grand Turk. We went to the other show, 88 Keys, which we enjoyed.

For music that we saw/heard, there was an amazing string trio! Even my 13 year old son thought they were great and would stop to listen when he was out and about the ship. They would play in the magic lounge or outside the dining room. Then there was some band that played 80's night, and I believe their name was something related to that. We did not think they were that good at all. The other was a man & woman (I think they were called Music & Magic), but they would play in the Ocean Plaza or Magic Lounge and we all thought they were great. I have a video of them.

I absolutely agree with you. We were on the same cruise and got off yesterday.

The visual effects in Flick were excellent - music was a bit loud and forced, but still an enjoyable experience.

88 Keys was very good with excellent voice talent.

Dolce (the string trio) is nothing like a traditional string trio. They are cutting edge - supreme quality and definitely worth planning your schedule around their performances.

Music and Magic (couple singing with keyboard) is a great duo. We first heard them on Fascination and we thoroughly enjoyed their music and performance. They sing light rock from the 70's to now... very relaxing - Ocean Plaza was packed most of the time they performed there.

The girl in the piano bar (Elizabeth) is new to the ship, but shows a lot of potential.

We only really disliked the "country" duo. They sang with guitar accompaniment by the guy. They tried hard, but the girl was often off key and the guy frequently missed chords, causing them to sing in one key while throwing in chords from another key. They should stick to songs they know well. They took audience requests, which was their downfall - they did not even know all the words of the songs they tried to perform. They seem to be more familiar with modern country - not Gearge Strait, Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt, etc... They mimic Band Perry fairly well, but don't expect our good old 90's country from them.

Now I can say I "started" my review, which will be a work in progress this week. :D

I can't and won't speak for the Magic, but we sailed the Valor in September. We found there to be an abundance of live music. There were two cover bands, the synth-based duo, a solo guitar player and singer in the atrium nightly and a singer in the Red Frog bar...and those are only the ones I really paid any attention to. If your friends saw only what you claim, maybe either they weren't looking or the options didn't meet their tastes, so they said there was no music.

We were on the Magic Nov 5th - 12th and thought the entertainment was great. There seemed to be plenty of live music around the ship and the 88 Keys show was exceptional. Of course everyone has different taste but we really enjoyed it all. Just another FYI the entire cruise was really fantastic, loved the Magic so much we are booking for 2017!! This was my 8th cruise.

We were also on the Magic last week.

There was also a string trio which mostly played in the atrium and they were good.

Flick has awesome special effects but not thrilled with the singing.

The other playlist show is 88 keys and was one of the better playlist shows.

They will be getting two more playlist shows in near future.

The mindreader flyon we thought was awful and we left after 15 minutes.

Karaoke the few times we went in there had horrible people singing and we left quickly.

Elizabeth in the piano bar is one of the best we have heard. We cruised with her last year on Glory and she is loads of fun.