Renting car after cruise - FLL

Moriah

My adult daughter and are going to continue our adventure after disembarking the NA on the 27th, and drive to Orlando for a visit with the Mouse, with a stopover for lunch in Jensen Beach with friends.

So I've rented a car at FLL from Budget (simply got the cheapest deal I could find and I pre-paid for the car on Priceline).

My voucher for the car lists the address of Budget as: 1515 SE 17th St. Causeway, Fort Lauderdale, FL. But just underneath that it says "on airport".

My plan is to disembark the NA as soon as we can (taking our luggage with us ourselves), and taking a taxi to the airport to pick up the car. Does this sound like the best plan? Please don't tell me if you think there was a better place/price/way to rent the car since that's a done deal and pre-paid. What I'm asking now is to hear from others who may have done the same, what is the best plan for picking up the car, and does "on airport" mean I should tell the cab driver to take me to the airport car rental area? Will he/she know where to go if I just say Budget at the airport, or do I tell him/her the address listed above? Sorry if this is a silly question. Just trying to have every little thing planned. My usual behavior LOL...

That location is not at the airport.

All you need to do is get a taxi after the cruise and give them the address as shown on your car rental confirmation and they will take you there.

I would even call directly to that location and ask them if they have an idea about how much a taxi should cost to get there. For that matter,verify that they are not at the airport. I checked the address myself since I knew the street that you posted is not the airport address.

That location is not at the airport.

All you need to do is get a taxi after the cruise and give them the address as shown on your car rental confirmation and they will take you there.

I would even call directly to that location and ask them if they have an idea about how much a taxi should cost to get there. For that matter,verify that they are not at the airport. I checked the address myself since I knew the street that you posted is not the airport address.

Thank you. Yes, it confused me to see an address AND "on airport". I've never seen an airport rental car place list an address such as that... I think your advice to ask them directly is best, and I will call them.

Has anyone else rented from Budget coming off a cruise at FLL? Wondering if there are some first hand experiences.

Thank you. Yes, it confused me to see an address AND "on airport". I've never seen an airport rental car place list an address such as that... I think your advice to ask them directly is best, and I will call them.

Has anyone else rented from Budget coming off a cruise at FLL? Wondering if there are some first hand experiences.

We used the Budget Rental Car on the airport property across the street from the terminal. Whenever I rented a car in FLL, I had the taxi from the port drop off my DW at one of the airport terminal arrival locations (one with few passengers), walk over the pedestrian bridge to the rental car building, pick up car, and then pick up DW at the Arrival terminal where she waits.

Priceline must have a savings by not using the airport terminal location for you.

Edited by Crew News

That location is off SE 17th Street. It's behind the Starbucks and Chipotle. It should be a very inexpensive cab ride from the port. If it were me, I'd send the driver to pick up the car and have the rest of the party wait with the luggage. Budget is in by the US Post Office.

Edited by POA1

Not sure I follow your train of thought but

We have used rented car from Budget on 17th street. They have a free shuttle from the Cruise Terminal to the Budget rental on 17th street. If you are picking the car up from 17th street - Budget will have your name on a list.

Don't recall if this applies to you but you have a choice of where to drop the car off in Fort Lauderdale either at the airport or at 17th street.

Thank you everyone ! I called budget and they were surprised to be listed as @on airport". I also found out they have a shuttle from the ship. But I usually prefer just jumping in a taxi.

Edited by Moriah

We have used rented car from Budget on 17th street. They have a free shuttle from the Cruise Terminal to the Budget rental on 17th street. If you are picking the car up from 17th street - Budget will have your name on a list.

Don't recall if this applies to you but you have a choice of where to drop the car off in Fort Lauderdale either at the airport or at 17th street.

My voucher lists a different address and we will be returning the car in Orlando.

Sorry. I didn't realize that they included a port shuttle. I was commenting on how to get there from the port. It's been a long time since we needed a rental car or hotel in the area, because our cars are already here.

My adult daughter and are going to continue our adventure after disembarking the NA on the 27th, and drive to Orlando for a visit with the Mouse, with a stopover for lunch in Jensen Beach with friends.

So I've rented a car at FLL from Budget (simply got the cheapest deal I could find and I pre-paid for the car on Priceline).

My voucher for the car lists the address of Budget as: 1515 SE 17th St. Causeway, Fort Lauderdale, FL. But just underneath that it says "on airport".

My plan is to disembark the NA as soon as we can (taking our luggage with us ourselves), and taking a taxi to the airport to pick up the car. Does this sound like the best plan? Please don't tell me if you think there was a better place/price/way to rent the car since that's a done deal and pre-paid. What I'm asking now is to hear from others who may have done the same, what is the best plan for picking up the car, and does "on airport" mean I should tell the cab driver to take me to the airport car rental area? Will he/she know where to go if I just say Budget at the airport, or do I tell him/her the address listed above? Sorry if this is a silly question. Just trying to have every little thing planned. My usual behavior LOL...

That location is a small strip mall called The Quay and is opposite one of th entereance3s to Port Everglades.

Thanks everyone. We are just going to jump in a cab as early as we can disembark, and give the drive the address. I phoned and it is the correct Budget location (at least, it's the one I rented from off Priceline). I think this is best, then I don't have to worry about the shuttle and whether it goes to the "right" Budget location. We want to get on the road as early as possible, so we're planning to be ready to disembark with the expedited guests and be at Budget when they open at 8. Also, strangely, I found out when I called that I have NOT pre-paid for the car!! I thought Priceline automatically took my money, but apparently this is not the case... SO... I'm still in the market for a cheaper rental (one way to Orlando) and may shop around before we leave.

Thanks everyone. We are just going to jump in a cab as early as we can disembark, and give the drive the address. I phoned and it is the correct Budget location (at least, it's the one I rented from off Priceline). I think this is best, then I don't have to worry about the shuttle and whether it goes to the "right" Budget location. We want to get on the road as early as possible, so we're planning to be ready to disembark with the expedited guests and be at Budget when they open at 8. Also, strangely, I found out when I called that I have NOT pre-paid for the car!! I thought Priceline automatically took my money, but apparently this is not the case... SO... I'm still in the market for a cheaper rental (one way to Orlando) and may shop around before we leave.

Do you belong to Costco? If so,their car rental prices are very good. Or do you belong to the AAA?

Also, why not just book directly from Budget/Avis? None of the car rental companies have drop off fees in Florida. And double check on the location in Orlando where you are doing the drop off to make sure it's near to where you are staying.

One more thing. I would never pre-pay for a car. And also,some of the companies low-ball the prices (Alamo) and then you find out that extra drivers (even the spouse) have to pay extra. Those companies that include the spouse to drive charge for others to drive.You need to be clear about that. If you don't specify a second driver,they cannot drive the car under any circumstance.

Edited by casper106

In case anyone is interested and still following my car saga, I have been looking around and have not found a better deal on a rental car than the one I had (and thought I had pre-paid) with Budget, through Priceline, so I'm keeping it. It's a full sized car and I'll be driving it for 5 days (I'll keep it in Orlando for visiting the Disney parks, etc. and return it at MCO when we fly home out of Orlando on the Friday after the cruise). So I'm pretty happy with what I've found out. This is the first time for me renting a car coming off a cruise. If it goes smoothly as it seems it will, I think it's all good. I'm actually happy that the Budget office I'm renting from is not actually at the airport... who needs that scene when it's not necessary! So we'll take all our luggage off the ship early and taxi it to Budget, get the car, and be on our way. I thought about the shuttle - they say the Budget shuttle runs past all the ships in port every 20 minutes all morning during disembarkation - but the people I talked to about it on the phone were not even sure that the shuttle runs between the port and the correct Budget office! (When you click through on the Budget CC line you end up talking to someone who is not actually in Florida, and doesn't have a clue... and I could not figure out a way to get someone in Florida to answer the phone! ) So... I prefer a taxi- this way I can give them the actual address that appears on my voucher...

So...that decided... now on to planning our days at Disney! Good thing I love planning. It's almost half the fun of the vacation! :)

We've used that Budget location at 17th st. Causeway several times. It is literally across the street from the port and in a little strip mall---maybe a mile or 2 away from the HAL docks. There are actually 2 Budget Codes for that location, one that includes the shuttle and one that doesn't--so they tell me. We've used the shuttle many times and it's great. But we're usually dropping off a car there and shuttling to the port. I wouldn't recommend one person going and the others staying with the luggage because it can be a big hassle getting back into the port area.

Here's the direct line and hours for that Budget:

Port Everglades/ft. Lauderdale

1515 Se 17th St Causeway

Ft Lauderdale, FL 33316, US

Ph: 954-761-7231

08:00 AM - 02:00 PM

It's a small Budget storefront. Coming from the port, it's just past Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Hotel. They're not the fastest moving folks in the world, and at least when I was there last week, it's not air conditioned.

But - hey - it's a car rental place.

Have a good trip.

I believe that it is the location just across the street from the Renaissance.

We have rented there often. Be prepared for a bit of a wait. Small office and often there is a line up if there are lots of ships in port. Last time we rented they did have a shuttle from dockside or$10 cab ride max from the ship.

It is actually a great place to rent if you happen to be staying at the Ren (or the Hilton Marina for that matter if you don't mind the short walk). The Ren charges something like $20. day for parking in their lot. You can park with the rest of the Budget cars in the shopping center for free. We have lucked out at that location....most of the time we scored a vehicle upgrade. They are very nice people.

Edited by iancal

We've used that Budget location at 17th st. Causeway several times. It is literally across the street from the port and in a little strip mall---maybe a mile or 2 away from the HAL docks. There are actually 2 Budget Codes for that location, one that includes the shuttle and one that doesn't--so they tell me. We've used the shuttle many times and it's great. But we're usually dropping off a car there and shuttling to the port. I wouldn't recommend one person going and the others staying with the luggage because it can be a big hassle getting back into the port area.

Here's the direct line and hours for that Budget:

Port Everglades/ft. Lauderdale

1515 Se 17th St Causeway

Ft Lauderdale, FL 33316, US

Ph: 954-761-7231

08:00 AM - 02:00 PM

Thank you! Yes, this is the one where I'm picking up the car. Good to know it's so close to the port! I'm not sure what you mean about "codes"? As said, we will probably just take a cab, but maybe I should rethink that? And I would never leave someone at the port and try to get back. Oy. I think a previous poster was talking about if we had to go to the airport, but in any case, we will stay together.

Just grab a cab which are right outside disembarkation as they are cheap in FLL and you do not have far to go so maybe $15 total with tip.

That's what I figured, thanks! (I'm kind of anti-shuttles of all kinds. Never been a good experience :))

The address I was given is: 1515 SE 17th St. Causeway, Fort Lauderdale, FL.

So apparently Budget has several location in the FLL area....?

Yes. They have several within a 5 mile radius, not counting the hotel desks.

I believe that it is the location just across the street from the Renaissance.

Yep. The Renaissance is on the east end of the lot. The Boatyard restaurant is on the north side. The post office and Budget are on the west side of the lot.