Shopping

bstrong3

My wife and I are on a 10th wedding anniversary cruise on the summit Jan. 7th. I will probably get her diamond jewelry, my question is should I buy it before the cruise or can I get a better deal on the ship or one of the islands, we will be in the southern caribbean. Thanks any help is much appreciated. John:confused::rolleyes:

If you don't know how to evaluate diamonds as to carat weight, cut, color and clarity, chances are you might be over-priced onboard or on the island including Diamond's Int'l. It's better you purchase anything with stones on land from a known reputable jewelry store, then have it appraised by a gemologist.

If you don't know how to evaluate diamonds as to carat weight, cut, color and clarity, chances are you might be over-priced onboard or on the island including Diamond's Int'l. It's better you purchase anything with stones on land from a known reputable jewelry store, then have it appraised by a gemologist.

I totally agree. I've known mNy people who have bought jewelry on islands and ships only to fine they were basically ripped off. If you purchase at home and have a problem, the jeweler will stand behind you"

My wife and I are on a 10th wedding anniversary cruise on the summit Jan. 7th. I will probably get her diamond jewelry, my question is should I buy it before the cruise or can I get a better deal on the ship or one of the islands, we will be in the southern caribbean. Thanks any help is much appreciated. John:confused::rolleyes:

http://www.wftv.com/news/action-9/action-9-investigates-risky-diamond-deals-on-cruise-ships/467900598

Ditto on all the posts above.

My choices would be a Jeweler that you or a trusted friend has used before; a major department store chain (when on sale) or perhaps my best recommendation if the others don't work is BlueNile.com. Note: Please use due diligence if you are thinking about Zales or equivalent.

The last place I'd buy a diamond anything would be in the Caribbean and that includes the "on-board" shops which are very overpriced. Note: don't expect Celebrity to stand behind even on-board purchases...those stores are run by some company that rents the space from Celebrity and you will be told to work out any issues with them.

The exception to this might be buying emeralds in Columbia, but you have to be very careful and assume all their emeralds are oiled (improved) and be able to look for flaws through a jeweler's loupe. You can get some good buys, but you really have to be careful.

Edited by ghstudio

I think buying overseas on a trip calls for some measure of caution.

However, I believe that there are places in the World where you can get great bargains.

I lived in Germany for four years and always heard that Antwerp, Belgium was a great place to buy diamonds.

In 1981, I was on a trip to Bangkok, Thailand and everyone told me that rubies and sapphires were great buys. I made some inquiries at our local 5 star hotel and visited the recommended jeweler. I purchased three rings, two with sapphires, one with rubies. One of the sapphire rings that I purchased I gave to my Mom and she later had it appraised for her insurance at $1500. The ruby ring, I gave to my Grandmother, and she did the same for her insurance and it was appraised at $1200. I paid $75 each for those rings in Thailand. The rings were silver with gold plate, but attractive.

I have read on CC of people buying jewelry in the Caribbean, but don't remember if it was St. Martin or Barbados. Do some research before you buy, even if you buy in the US.