Upgrade Notice! My first ever.

hightownCO

Was really surprised to receive this email yesterday as my cruise isn't until 4/8/17 on the Crown TA. Maybe just coincidental but that morning had just completed my check in. I'm platinium with 11 cruise credits.

It's nothing to scream about as went from midship obstructed OV (a good one) on Emerald deck to midforward OV on Plaza Deck. I'm fine with it though and it is very handy to International Café.

Here's hoping to see that notice again before the cruise. Would be so sweet to get the next upgrade to a balcony!

Sorry to be the party pooper but I would definitely think twice about being on the lowest passenger deck on a cruise with so many sea days, especially a Transatlantic. We spent 10 days in an oceanview Plaza deck cabin on Star Princess listening to the shuddering of the stabilizers and the crashing of waves into the hull--in the Caribbean in April. But as you say, coffee and snacks for all those sleepless nights is just steps away.

I just received an upgrade notice today too, on a TA voyage that sails 9/2/17. They've moved us from an obstructed view on the Emerald Deck, Deck 8'- but not totally obstructed - to the last cabin on the Riviera Deck, deck 14. That cabin abuts the Terrace Pool area, which probably won't get much use since we're going to be in the North Atlantic in September, but previous occupants of that cabin have said they really felt the motion when waters were more turbulent (which may well be the case on our cruise!) and the noise of the thrusters could frequently be heard. The upgrade was automatic; you have to contact them within 48 hours of their notice to you, and they will attempt to move you back to your original cabin! I called Princess immediately and said I didn't want the upgrade; the rep I spoke with said she'd put my request in and I should get my original cabin back since my call was timely. If anyone else has declined an upgrade, what happened? Is there anything else I should do?

Was really surprised to receive this email yesterday as my cruise isn't until 4/8/17 on the Crown TA. Maybe just coincidental but that morning had just completed my check in. I'm platinium with 11 cruise credits.

It's nothing to scream about as went from midship obstructed OV (a good one) on Emerald deck to midforward OV on Plaza Deck. I'm fine with it though and it is very handy to International Café.

Here's hoping to see that notice again before the cruise. Would be so sweet to get the next upgrade to a balcony!

We absolutely love the obstructed OV cabins on the Emerald deck ... they are not all created equal. We were upgraded on the Crown from an inside to E 403 a couple of years ago ... excellent upgrade. That is just me, though.

So, if you ever find yourself in the position where you like the room you pick but wouldn't mind getting an upgrade to the next super category (my term, I don't know what they call it) ... make sure you request a meta upgrade. If this is marked on your reservation, they will only upgrade you from an inside to an oceanview or better, an oceanview to a balcony or better, a balcony to a mini suite or suite... but not within the same main category just in a different location. I mark all my reservations with a meta upgrade only ... but in over 20 cruises on Princess, I only have been upgraded once ... the one described above. But, I felt like I won the lottery ... it was a very nice cabin.

I just received an upgrade notice today too, on a TA voyage that sails 9/2/17. They've moved us from an obstructed view on the Emerald Deck, Deck 8'- but not totally obstructed - to the last cabin on the Riviera Deck, deck 14. That cabin abuts the Terrace Pool area, which probably won't get much use since we're going to be in the North Atlantic in September, but previous occupants of that cabin have said they really felt the motion when waters were more turbulent (which may well be the case on our cruise!) and the noise of the thrusters could frequently be heard. The upgrade was automatic; you have to contact them within 48 hours of their notice to you, and they will attempt to move you back to your original cabin! I called Princess immediately and said I didn't want the upgrade; the rep I spoke with said she'd put my request in and I should get my original cabin back since my call was timely. If anyone else has declined an upgrade, what happened? Is there anything else I should do?

Grandma, I just read on another thread that if you don't get your original cabin back, you could ask Princess for another cabin in your original category, if there are any available.

If I were you I'd hurry and ask to get your midship OV back. The OV's on Plaza are VERY noisy when stabilizers are put out or pulled in, and waves are crashing into the bulkhead. We know two different people who demanded that the purser give them other cabins because they could not sleep on their Transatlantic cruises - on the Crown.

By contrast , we have now done 5 TA's - all in midship "obstructed" cabins on Emerald deck, none of which were actually obstructed. Much better cabins than the OV's on Plaza. We do, however, like the interior mid-forward cabins on Plaza - they don't get the stabilizer noise or waves crashing against cabin.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

Appreciate all the advice. Gave it some thought and decided to ask to be put back into my original cabin. Am within 48 hours and my cabin shows as available. The obstruction in only if looking down, view is clear straight out. I don't want to deal with noise if seas get rough. So, thanks for te warning.

BTW, my booking was made with accepting meta upgrade only. Going from obstructed OV to OV is considered a meta upgrade. The reservation person told me about this possibility when I first booked.

Appreciate all the advice. Gave it some thought and decided to ask to be put back into my original cabin. Am within 48 hours and my cabin shows as available. The obstruction in only if looking down, view is clear straight out. I don't want to deal with noise if seas get rough. So, thanks for te warning.

BTW, my booking was made with accepting meta upgrade only. Going from obstructed OV to OV is considered a meta upgrade. The reservation person told me about this possibility when I first booked.

Oh good!! I think you will be much happier. Other than being close to the IC, I haven't really understood the appeal of the Plaza deck cabins. I have just read some stories about the noise from some long time Princess cruisers.

Now, I never knew that a meta upgrade could be Obstructed OV to Unobstructed OV ... I have actually been told differently from Princess. Their policies or knowledge of their policies are known to be inconsistent. So, you have taught me a valuable lesson today!! We book those obstructed OV rooms all the time and pick them very carefully ... so good to know they can just automatically put us in an unobstructed OV with the meta upgrade. I will think long and hard before I mark my OBS OB cabins as meta only upgrade ever again.

PS -- hope you still get that balcony cabin.

Now, I never knew that a meta upgrade could be Obstructed OV to Unobstructed OV ... I have actually been told differently from Princess. Their policies or knowledge of their policies are known to be inconsistent. So, you have taught me a valuable lesson today!! We book those obstructed OV rooms all the time and pick them very carefully ... so good to know they can just automatically put us in an unobstructed OV with the meta upgrade. I will think long and hard before I mark my OBS OB cabins as meta only upgrade ever again.

PS -- hope you still get that balcony cabin.

This is also new information to me. THANK YOU. I have my Obstructed OV marked meta as I was told by Princess I would only be moved to a balcony using this terminology. My Obstructed OV is not really obstructed and I would not be happy to be moved. I was very specific about this. I will keep a close eye on things.

Happy sailing to you!

Marie

This is also new information to me. THANK YOU. I have my Obstructed OV marked meta as I was told by Princess I would only be moved to a balcony using this terminology. My Obstructed OV is not really obstructed and I would not be happy to be moved. I was very specific about this. I will keep a close eye on things.

Happy sailing to you!

Marie

It's been around for years but I think I learned about it around 7 years ago. Always happy to share the info that these kind folks have given to me.

Not all Princess agents know what they are talking about, though ... very inconsistent ... so will have to be very specific next time I book an obstructed OV cabin on the Emerald deck. As you can see, the OP was moved to from an obstructed OV to a Plaza deck OV. I wouldn't mind a balcony but wouldn't be happy about a Plaza deck OV cabin. I love being located on the Emerald deck ... so convenient to everything!

I have used Renmar's site to choose my oceanview cabins very carefully and usually book early in the game. If you haven't seen that site yet, it's the absolute BEST!! You know exactly what your obstruction is going to be and it is really accurate in my experience.

It's been around for years but I think I learned about it around 7 years ago. Always happy to share the info that these kind folks have given to me.

Not all Princess agents know what they are talking about, though ... very inconsistent ... so will have to be very specific next time I book an obstructed OV cabin on the Emerald deck. As you can see, the OP was moved to from an obstructed OV to a Plaza deck OV. I wouldn't mind a balcony but wouldn't be happy about a Plaza deck OV cabin. I love being located on the Emerald deck ... so convenient to everything!

I have used Renmar's site to choose my oceanview cabins very carefully and usually book early in the game. If you haven't seen that site yet, it's the absolute BEST!! You know exactly what your obstruction is going to be and it is really accurate in my experience.

Thanks to Renmar's site, I am booked on the Emerald Princess, E701. Like you, I would prefer to be on Emerald deck unless they choose to move me to a balcony.

Edited by FlorenceItaly

Happy sailing to you!

Marie

Yes, the next meta from an obstructed OV is to a non-obstructed OV, not to a balcony. Likewise, on the Royal class ships, the next meta from an obstructed balcony is a non-obstructed balcony, not a mini-suite. I generally mark my bookings "no upgrade" unless I'm willing to lose the cabin I chose - which I'm generally not willing to do since I choose carefully.

Yes, the next meta from an obstructed OV is to a non-obstructed OV, not to a balcony. Likewise, on the Royal class ships, the next meta from an obstructed balcony is a non-obstructed balcony, not a mini-suite. I generally mark my bookings "no upgrade" unless I'm willing to lose the cabin I chose - which I'm generally not willing to do since I choose carefully.

Have to be on the lookout then on my reserved cabins. Also had Princess marked them as meta upgrade only. Might be changed and noticed only after 48 hours. Thanks.