The Global Entry CARD myth

Tennessee Titan

Exactly what did I misunderstand (seriously)? All my post did was to clarify what the card is (and isn't)......

You said the card is only officially recognized coming from Mexico or Canada. That isn't true. It's a valid ID only for TSA screening domestically. Everything else uses your passport; even Ca and Mx.

The program is valid entering the US from ANY country. We clear US customs in CA at gateway airports and it's perhaps the same in Mexican gateways(?). Have no entered from Ne I I since enrolling.

It is actually SSSS which stands for secondary security screening selection.

I have not heard of this. Years ago (pre 9-11) there was the dreaded random SSS on your boarding pass, which I referred to as the "grandmother de jour." I HAVE had random secondary screening from the metal detector arch recently.

The program is valid entering the US from ANY country. We clear US customs in CA at gateway airports and it's perhaps the same in Mexican gateways(?). Have no entered from Ne I I since enrolling.

That is my understanding, as well. We used it when we returned from the UK at LaGuardia.

Yes, technically you don't need the card because GE itself is connected to your passport but for us it's no big deal to carry it.

Actually you do need the card. I was required to show it at Logan Airport, despite the fact that my boarding pass has "TSA Pre-Check" on it. Also, the government official in Orlando, where we received our card told us that it was not connected to our passport. Go figure.

Actually you do need the card. I was required to show it at Logan Airport, despite the fact that my boarding pass has "TSA Pre-Check" on it. Also, the government official in Orlando, where we received our card told us that it was not connected to our passport. Go figure.

That sounds like a mess of mistakes at two different locations. Can't figure out why they'd want to see your GE card to get in PreCheck line if it was already on your boarding pass. There are a number of ways to get PreCheck so not everybody is going to have any kind of Trusted Traveler program card but still have PreCheck on their boarding pass. And the government official that told you GE isn't connected to your passport was having a particularly bad day. That's just plain wrong. Now if we're talking about getting PreCheck through strictly TSA's PreCheck enrollment process then the official would be right. PreCheck by itself is not connected to your passport. Anyhow, regardless of the mistakes we always travel with our GE cards so again while technically not required you're going to run into situations where you might need it.

Anyone at a Us airport who asks to see your GE card is FOS......

From the official CBP government web site:

Global Entry Card

Global Entry cards are issued to Global entry members who are U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and Mexican nationals.

Activating Your Global Entry Card

To activate your card, log into your Global Online Enrollment System account. After you log in, click on the “Activate Membership Card” button under the Program Membership(s) section.

Using Your Global Entry Card

We accept Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry.

Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification chips, which enable their use at Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) and NEXUS travel lanes when entering the United States at the land borders. You must follow all program rules for SENTRI when using this card at the Southern land border ports of entry.

You may use this card for expedited entry into the United States via the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes. The card is not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes.

Only your passport or lawful permanent resident card are accepted at Global Entry kiosks. The Global Entry card cannot be used at Global Entry kiosks. NEXUS cards are accepted at Global Entry kiosks located on Canadian Preclearance Airports.

Edited by Tennessee Titan

The problem becomes running into that one uninformed mistaken agent, airport employee, officer, etc., who thinks they know what they don't know as demonstrated by Tampa Girl's post. That unfortunately happens and equally unfortunately quoting rules and regulations to them is often a fruitless endeavor.

Actually GOES stands for Global Online Enrollment System. At the end of the enrollment process, assuming approval, you get a Global Entry (GE) card with your PassID. The PassID is connected to your passport and that gets you through the Global Entry lane for expedited Immigration and Customs. The PassID number also serves as your Known Traveler Number for TSA PreCheck.

I had aTSA agent refuse to accept the card as an official ID to enter the security area at an airport. He said he didn't know what the ID was.

That happens amazingly frequently. Doesn't help that the GE card is really pretty bland and has little on it to identify it's even issued by the US government. Worst I've heard was a TSA agent who said they didn't recognize ID issued by a foreign government.

Edited by Randyk47

I had aTSA agent refuse to accept the card as an official ID to enter the security area at an airport. He said he didn't know what the ID was.

I've had an idiot smurf do the same thing to me. I told him to get his official ID book and look at the top 10 - the GE card is somewhere around 7-8 as a legal piece of id. Since the TSA does not train it's smurfs very much (I mean, how much could actually get done in 10 days...), I always look for a chance to help train them. I even assist in teaching the grope when I don't get PreCheck and have to opt out in the regular line... ;-)

Edited by slidergirl

When you sign up (and are approved) for Global Entry, all of the appropriate information is encoded in your PASSPORT file. In order to use Global Entry, your passport MUST be scanned. The card does nothing for you except serve as a means of preliminary ID. The card is only officially used/recognized when entering the US from Canada or Mexico. It is NOT recognized by other foreign countries.

We do not even carry our cards when going overseas....

Yes that is how it works.

It's not a myth.

That is what is noted in the instructions you receive.

We take it with us to places such as Mexico and Canada as you noted but also if we are returning via Port Everglades.

Keith

Yes that is how it works.

It's not a myth.

That is what is noted in the instructions you receive.

We take it with us to places such as Mexico and Canada as you noted but also if we are returning via Port Everglades.

Keith

Where in the instructions does it say that it cannot be used by a U.S. citizen when returning to the U.S. from countries other than Canada and Mexico?

I have a sentri card. It's is also tied to global entry benefits. Hope the rent a cop at port Everglades recognizes it and lets me into the global entry lane.

If the cop doesn't recognize it, ask for a supervisor... It's pretty clear in the CBP guidelines that SENTRI is allowed to use GE kiosks if your SENTRI is tied to your GOES number and you have had your fingerprints taken...

That sounds like a mess of mistakes at two different locations. Can't figure out why they'd want to see your GE card to get in PreCheck line if it was already on your boarding pass. There are a number of ways to get PreCheck so not everybody is going to have any kind of Trusted Traveler program card but still have PreCheck on their boarding pass. And the government official that told you GE isn't connected to your passport was having a particularly bad day. That's just plain wrong. Now if we're talking about getting PreCheck through strictly TSA's PreCheck enrollment process then the official would be right. PreCheck by itself is not connected to your passport. Anyhow, regardless of the mistakes we always travel with our GE cards so again while technically not required you're going to run into situations where you might need it.

Thank you for clarifying. I thought the official was wrong, but perhaps I did not correctly word the question regarding connecting the passport to the card. The airport incident was particularly annoying because we were taking a domestic flights, and passports were not involved. The TSA man barely glanced at the boarding pass.

Thank you for clarifying. I thought the official was wrong, but perhaps I did not correctly word the question regarding connecting the passport to the card. The airport incident was particularly annoying because we were taking a domestic flights, and passports were not involved. The TSA man barely glanced at the boarding pass.

What do you expect when TSA uses pizza box tops to advertise for help???

I've had some of these well-educated smurfs tell me they need to see my DL, even when I show my passport for a domestic flight. Sigh. "may I see your supervisor" is part of my travel vocabulary now... There is a document at the TSA checkpoint that lists all valid types of ID - next time this happens to you, ask that the list be checked. It helps with their training if someone does this - otherwise, they will keep doing what they do incorrectly.

If he thought you asked if the GE card was a substitute for or could be used like a passport then his answer was correct. You may not have asked the question right or you did but he may not have been listening. That happens. Still no excuse or reason for the TSA agent asking for anything to prove or validate your PreCheck. Have to say that's actually a new one but certainly not the first time I've heard of or personally experienced a TSA agent with a training deficit or their own set of rules.

That is really surprising for a domestic flight. People can have pre check for several reasons, only one of which is Global Entry. That is bizarre.

How does one get the expedited security check in based upon age alone - we have not yet seen this happen.

LAX does not use Pre-Check and refused any provisions based upon age. Everyone goes through the exact same cattle call.

How does one get the expedited security check in based upon age alone - we have not yet seen this happen.

LAX does not use Pre-Check and refused any provisions based upon age. Everyone goes through the exact same cattle call.

Interesting. I haven't been through LAX in a few months but they used to have PreCheck and are still listed as a participating airport. I've heard they don't have it at the International departures terminal but my understanding was that there were no or not enough participating airlines to justify it.

I was aware of supposedly expedited screening for seniors 75 or more years old but it's not total PreCheck, more like PreCheck Lite. I haven't really paid that much attention but I don't recall seeing it happen unless it's so close to the full process that it's not that big of an advantage.

Last two times going through LAX -once at Bradley International and once just recently at Air Cananda terminal - no Precheck available.

There were Precheck posters touting the service on the walls, and even line stantions labeled Precheck. But when we asked the agents about this, sorry no there was no Precheck. Get in line with everyone else.

Then after we disrobed, de-shoed etc one TSA guy at the scanner said why did you do that, you were Precheck. I still had my GOES Prechek card in hand. Plus DH is old enough to get at least pre-check lite.

Arrgggghhh. I think they just liked to pick wings off flies and have sport with passengers.

Then some guy later came around with a survey about LAX customer service while we were waiting for the flight. The poor guy got an earful - it was totally contradictory signage and instructions and then that final blame the customer for following directions was the real topper.

I hope they could read my angry scribbles on my survey form. Probably not.

Chicago O'Hare international terminal is similar to your LAX experience. There are signs for precheck, but once you are up to the actual security area there is no actual belt or scanner to go through. And agents up there kept saying there is no precheck. The pre-check words were even highlighted by the agent checking passports at the beginning. So odd. I'd say a total lack of communication.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chicago O'Hare international terminal is similar to your LAX experience. There are signs for precheck, but once you are up to the actual security area there is no actual belt or scanner to go through. And agents up there kept saying there is no precheck. The pre-check words were even highlighted by the agent checking passports at the beginning. So odd. I'd say a total lack of communication.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Every Pre-check passenger is need for one less TSA job .........