First time-5nights Caribbean

Kotena

Hello,

After years of convincing my husband I finally got his ok to do cruise. :)

We are looking to sail in November 2017, out of Florida, 5 nights. This is not really changeable due to several reasons. Now I have several choices on routes and ships and would greatly appreciate your input on best route:

1 - Carnival Sensation - Miami-Ochos Rios-Grand Cayman - Suite

2 - Carnival Sensation - Miami-Grand Turks - Amber Cove - Suite

3 - Crown Princess - FL - Grand Turks-Amber Cove - Balcony

4 - Crown Princess - FL -Roatan-Cozumel -Balcony

5 - Royal - Independence of the sea - FL-Falmouth- Labadee - balcony

We are in our mid 30, plan to cruise without kids, looking for nice ship (out of above choices) considering accommodations we can afford (Suite on Carnival and balcony on others), and interesting ports (meaning nicer beaches, some snorkeling, local foods, not crazy busy). I do not think we will be doing any excursions, really would love islands with powdery beaches, some local flavor. Just relax and explore cruising as our first time.

I am leaning towards Carnival Sensation due to us being able to do Suite which is larger room with views, but heard things like it smells old etc. I know we will enjoy any kind of get away for just two of us (last time we did was 8 years ago to be without kids), but trying to get better understanding of the available routes and pros and cons of the above three ships.

THANK YOU!!!!

Carnival's "suite perks" are next to nothing...you will simply get a bigger cabin.

I think you'd enjoy RCI on that ship...and a JS, if you can swing it will give your good space without the true "suite" price (no perks with a JS, except priority boarding and extra cruise points....which won't matter to you unless you become "addicted" to cruising!) The only problem is only 2 ports....Falmouth doesn't have much to offer unless you book excursions...nothing really close to the port.

Grand Cayman is an easy DIY port...clean, safe, good public transport....

Amber Cove and Labadee are the cruise line's private beaches....not "real" ports.

I would pick up a guidebook at your library and read up on the Caribbean ports....find which sounds best to you!

Carnival's "suite perks" are next to nothing...you will simply get a bigger cabin.

I think you'd enjoy RCI on that ship...and a JS, if you can swing it will give your good space without the true "suite" price (no perks with a JS, except priority boarding and extra cruise points....which won't matter to you unless you become "addicted" to cruising!) The only problem is only 2 ports....Falmouth doesn't have much to offer unless you book excursions...nothing really close to the port.

Grand Cayman is an easy DIY port...clean, safe, good public transport....

Amber Cove and Labadee are the cruise line's private beaches....not "real" ports.

I would pick up a guidebook at your library and read up on the Caribbean ports....find which sounds best to you!

When they say "private beaches" what it looks like? I am actually fine with one stop being a larger place, and one being some private island/ beach. I imagine we would love to spend a day on a nice beach with powdery sand. We are very much beach bodies.

When they say "private beaches" what it looks like? I am actually fine with one stop being a larger place, and one being some private island/ beach. I imagine we would love to spend a day on a nice beach with powdery sand. We are very much beach bodies.

Royal's Labadee (your choice #5) fits the bill as a very nice beach day. BBQ lunch is included.

You didn't name it as an option, but Princess Cay Bahamas fits your liking. Nice beach and lunch on the island. That is Princess Cruises private beach. We did our 1st, 2nd and 4th cruise on Carnival. Rest were Princess and we seem to prefer Princess better.

Grand Cayman 7 Mile Beach is beyond description. It's simply beautiful. Every cruise line likes to go to Cozumel but only thing there is Mayan ruins and shopping and a day trip is needed for ruins, IMO. But, local food is truly "local"--something you won't get anywhere else.

Funny story about sidewalk café in Cozumel. Wife was looking at the menu and exclaimed "OMG these prices are high!" They were in pesos. Cheeseburger cost her about $6 US. That 700 price tag caught her a little off guard!

I have done just about every cabin combination there is and I seem to go back to inside cabin and cruise more often. But, that's just me. I only sleep and shower there.

Enjoy your cruise! You will become addicted like the rest of us!

Edited by paggs

I would suggest one of the Crown Princess itineraries. While the suite might give you more room, Carnival generally is not up to the comfort and service standards of Princess or Royal Caribbean - and the Independendce's itinerary is not that great: Falmouth is pretty much a tourist trap on Jamaica - which is not that great an island, an the beach at Labadee is nowhere near as good as what you will get pretty much anywhere else in the Caribbean.

I would prefer Grand Turks and Amber Cove on Crown Princess. There are lots of choices for water activities at Grand Turks, contrasting with the more private beach fun at Amber Cove, complementing well with the elegant dining experience and stateroom amenities of the Crown.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would prefer Grand Turks and Amber Cove on Crown Princess. There are lots of choices for water activities at Grand Turks, contrasting with the more private beach fun at Amber Cove, complementing well with the elegant dining experience and stateroom amenities of the Crown.

Quite an experience to have.

Independence would be my first choice....for the ship. It's by far the best ship of the bunch, in my opinion. Plus, Labadee is really nice.

Leaning toward the suite on Sensation? No way. Not when ships like Crown Princess or Independence of the Seas are in the running.

For the itinerary, I'd pick Crown Princess to Grand Turk and Amber Cove.

Thank you all very much! So Carnival seems to be out of equation due to ship itself even though it has Grand Cayman in its itinerary?

I will get started on deeper research on Princess crown itself and ports :-)

Crown princess seems to only go to Grand Turks-Amber Cove , or Roatan ISlands-Cozumel.

I figured Grand Turks to be something we will like (saw you tube video), but Amber Cove seems to be man-made port with just a large pool? No beach at all?

Thank you all very much! So Carnival seems to be out of equation due to ship itself even though it has Grand Cayman in its itinerary?

I will get started on deeper research on Princess crown itself and ports :-)

Sensation is the smallest and oldest ship on your list. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you have to be careful about her suites. If you really want a suite, make sure you book a Grand Suite, not an Ocean suite, which used to be called a junior suite. Junior suites are larger than their standard cabin but have narrow balconies that you can barely sit on. EM

Now after talking to some coworkers, they say 7-night is a better choice.

I see better stops there too

if we consider 7 night, which would be better vessel-wise, and beach-wise for ports of call

1 - Carnival Glory Miami; Half Moon Cay; St. Thomas; San Juan; Grand Turks; Miami

2 - NOrwegian escape Miami; St. Thomas; Tortola; Nassau; Miami

Now after talking to some coworkers, they say 7-night is a better choice.

I see better stops there too

if we consider 7 night, which would be better vessel-wise, and beach-wise for ports of call

1 - Carnival Glory Miami; Half Moon Cay; St. Thomas; San Juan; Grand Turks; Miami

2 - Norwegian escape Miami; St. Thomas; Tortola; Nassau; Miami

I like that Glory itinerary better (only slightly), but I think Escape is a FAR better ship than Glory.