15 hour layover in Heathrow

Travel 25

We have been to London several times so we do not want to take the train to London with our carry on luggage. We have a 15 hour layover in Heathrow before our next flight and open to ideas about what to do other than sleep? Thanks you for any input. Steve

We have a 15 hour layover in Heathrow before our next flight and open to ideas about what to do other than sleep?
Any chance of knowing your itinerary, so that we can try to offer some specific advice? Times of the day, terminals, day(s) of the week?

Any chance of knowing your itinerary, so that we can try to offer some specific advice? Times of the day, terminals, day(s) of the week?

We get in at 6:35 on a Monday in August and our next flight is at 21:35.

We arrive and leave from terminal 3

Edited by Travel 25

Windsor is certainly your best option. If the weather is poor, you can spend time in the Castle and if good, the town and the river are attractive places to while time away.

http://www.windsordaytours.co.uk/php/from_heathrow.php

https://www.viator.com/tours/London/Independent-Layover-Tour-to-Windsor-from-London-Gatwick-or-Heathrow-Airport/d737-3891LAYOVER

The last Monday in August the 28th in 2017, is a Bank (Public) holiday in England and Wales meaning that tourist spots are extra busy at that time. It's worth bearing that in mind if that is the Monday in August you are flying in on.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

The last Monday in August the 28th in 2017, is a Bank (Public) holiday in England and Wales meaning that tourist spots are extra busy at that time. It's worth bearing that in mind if that is the Monday in August you are flying in on.

August 28 is the Monday we will be there. Just our luck.

I would suggest following the advise Bob++ gives you Windsor is great to visit I used to live not to far away at Runnyemede where Magna Carta was signed.

The August Bank holiday is the last one of the year before Christmas and is notorious for the traffic jams that can build up, leading to headlines such as this from this year.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/travelnews/motorists-set-for-carmaggedon-during-worst-bank-holiday-getaway-in-a-decade-a3326971.html

Others may have different ideas, but there is a danger that you spend a long time stuck on motorways looking at red lights.

You will also have to factor in getting back to the airport with plenty of time.

Another wrinkle is that the railways often use Bank Holiday weekend to schedule major engineering works, as there are fewer commuters travelling into London.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

We get in at 6:35 on a Monday in August and our next flight is at 21:35.

We arrive and leave from terminal 3

Windsor has the attraction that it's fairly close by and transport to/from the airport will be reasonably reliable.

I wouldn't rule out going in to London, not least because the Tube will be relatively quiet at the times that you'd be using it. (Normally, on a Monday those times would mean that you'd be trying to use it into town at peak hour and back to the airport at peak hour.) And to be honest, I don't think that Bank Holiday Monday would be much worse for crowding at tourist spots than any other day in August - it's pretty busy all month anyway.

If you do, avoid the Notting Hill area. That's the weekend that the Carnival is on (assuming it takes place next year), and you're probably best off staying well clear of the area. But there's plenty else going on in central London that's fun, and the atmosphere in town is often very good that weekend.

Personally, with your timings I wouldn't worry about those traffic jam headlines, for a number of reasons.

First, the article was largely talking about traffic problems on main routes, which you wouldn't really be using anyway.

Second, the main problems are on Friday evening and on Saturday because people's travel plans tend to include the weekend before the Bank Holiday.

Third, Monday evening is not normally a problem because many people who travel for the Bank Holiday weekend stay away for the entire week, especially if they don't have children or the children don't start school until the Monday one week after the Bank Holiday. So Monday evening traffic on that Bank Holiday Monday is usually pretty calm, and indeed the following Tuesday to Friday that week actually tend to be fairly quiet in London because of this.

Fourth, did the "carmageddon" predicted in that article actually happen? Headlines like that sell newspapers, but I don't remember it actually occurring.

For a day in Windsor I suggest that you leave your luggage at the airport http://heathrow.airport-information.co.uk/baggage.html and take a taxi straight to the castle https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/windsorcastle/plan-your-visit it opens at 9:30 and it's best to be there early to beat the crowds.

They say you need three hours so it will be lunch time when you get out, and I would head for a riverside pub like The Boatman http://boatmanwindsor.com/ for a leisurely lunch, followed by a 2 hour boat trip upriver http://www.frenchbrothers.co.uk/public-trips/windsor-2-hour-round-trip.

Edited by Bob++

On the afternoon/evening of Bank Holiday I would not want to be driving anywhere near London - making getting back from Windsor a real pain. If the luggage were a concern, it could be checked and then take the Picadilly Underground into London. Frankly , it sounds to me as though OP is getting off an overnight flight from somewhere - I would get a room at an airport hotel, because a long day touring after such a flight then getting on another at 9:35 PM is just TDM.

We have been to London several times so we do not want to take the train to London with our carry on luggage. We have a 15 hour layover in Heathrow before our next flight and open to ideas about what to do other than sleep? Thanks you for any input. Steve

Hi Steve,

I take it that you are a US passport holder and the onward flight is by the same carrier or their agent and that you will be a transit passenger.

I would suggest that you contact the airline to see if they will allow this but you will need to clear Immigration, it is possible to get the correct visa but needs to be organised. there are several conditions on granting the visa, no work allowed, have to leave the UK by 23.59hrs the next day, can't obtain medical treatment (I wouldn't imagine emergency treatment is included) etc.

As it has been mentioned, jet lag will kick in.

Hope this helps

Pete

Hi Steve,

I take it that you are a US passport holder and the onward flight is by the same carrier or their agent and that you will be a transit passenger.

I would suggest that you contact the airline to see if they will allow this but you will need to clear Immigration, it is possible to get the correct visa but needs to be organised. there are several conditions on granting the visa, no work allowed, have to leave the UK by 23.59hrs the next day, can't obtain medical treatment (I wouldn't imagine emergency treatment is included) etc.

As it has been mentioned, jet lag will kick in.

Hope this helps

Pete

What makes you think a US passport holder would need to apply for a transit visa? There would need to be some unusual circumstances involved.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

What makes you think a US passport holder would need to apply for a transit visa? There would need to be some unusual circumstances involved.

The particular rules cover US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand nationals, this visa is designed specially for those countrymen. There are other rules for different countries. It does make it easier for those countries to obtain "landed" status as opposed to "transit" status so immigration can be cleared.

I do hope this helps.

Pete

If you check the link LHT gives above, you will see that an American citizen does not need a visa.

What’s your nationality as shown on your passport or travel document? - USA

What are you coming to the UK to do? - Transit (on your way to somewhere else)

~~~~~~~

You won’t need a visa to come to the UK

However, you should bring evidence of your onward journey to show to officers at the UK border.

Edited by Bob++

The particular rules cover US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand nationals, this visa is designed specially for those countrymen. There are other rules for different countries. It does make it easier for those countries to obtain "landed" status as opposed to "transit" status so immigration can be cleared.

I do hope this helps.

Pete

No, it doesn't help at all.

I can only imagine you are thinking of the special arrangements for those who either hold valid visas or permanent residence for the countries you list, but that does NOT apply to citizens of those countries. And in any case the rules are to allow transit without a visa.

Again, if the OP is a US passport holder (your assumption), they will not require a transit visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do hope this helps.

Pete

I have never needed a VISA transiting in LHR or LGW nor on arrival to the UK

I think you have your facts wrong

Edited by LHT28

There's a lot of complete rubbish posted on CC sometimes. But this load of rubbish plumbs new depths of inaccuracy.

A US citizen who is between flights at Heathrow will not, save in exceptional circumstances, have any difficulty clearing immigration without any special arrangements having to be made in advance. You don't need to tell the airline what you're doing, either - nor will the airline be interested in knowing.

There's a lot of complete rubbish posted on CC sometimes. But this load of rubbish plumbs new depths of inaccuracy.

A US citizen who is between flights at Heathrow will not, save in exceptional circumstances, have any difficulty clearing immigration without any special arrangements having to be made in advance. You don't need to tell the airline what you're doing, either - nor will the airline be interested in knowing.

Thanks because we have been to London several times through Heathrow and I did not know what he was talking about.

For a day in Windsor I suggest that you leave your luggage at the airport http://heathrow.airport-information.co.uk/baggage.html and take a taxi straight to the castle https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/windsorcastle/plan-your-visit it opens at 9:30 and it's best to be there early to beat the crowds.

They say you need three hours so it will be lunch time when you get out, and I would head for a riverside pub like The Boatman http://boatmanwindsor.com/ for a leisurely lunch, followed by a 2 hour boat trip upriver http://www.frenchbrothers.co.uk/public-trips/windsor-2-hour-round-trip.

I have a 12 hour layover at LHR on May 21 (Sunday)...6am to 6pm, not concerned about jet lag and am going to leave my luggage there. I was going to go to London but because of your post I am considering Windsor. Any idea how much a taxi might cost or where I could find out? Also, if I decided to take the train instead, do I have to purchase my return ticket for a particular time or can the time be open ended if I want to head back to LHR earlier? I might take the train there and a taxi back. Thanks so much for your help. You guys are the best! :)

Deb