Crown princess or Island princess

esper10

Hi all, we returned today from a 4 nights cruise with Crown princess. While we are diamonds with Royal Caribean and Celebrity and cruised a bunch with Carnival. This was our very first cruise with princess. We absolutely LOVED EVERY THING ABOUT IT. now we look forward for another princess cruise. We were thinking about the Island princess. 19 nights Panama Canal. We loved the almost none stop entrainment, we loved the international cafe. The buffet was small but very good. Every one was was very friendly. We enjoy active ship so can any of you tell me if the Island princess is about the same. Thanks for all information.

The Coral Princess and Island Princess were sister ships when built. Unfortunately the Island Princess was modified a few years ago by removing basically the entire aft public section of the ship and creating cabins for over 200 additional passengers. If you compare the deck plans you can see what I am speaking about. The Coral Princess is still mostly original, still has the Universe Show Lounge, all the rear viewing areas, a small International Cafe, upper deck fitness area, full 360 degree promenade, and 200 less passengers. The Coral does some full transits of the Panama Canal. I would suggest you look at the schedules, and if the timing meets your requirements book the Coral instead of the Island. If you do book the Island you will still have a nice time.

Edited by sknight

Having sailed Island Princess after the refit I would say any Princess ship other than Island. I most definitely prefer Crown over Island.

Thank you all. The only reason I wanted to do the Island princess for Panama Canal is she is doing it out of Los Angeles round trip but I had some kind of feeling that it is different than the crown princess. I think I will skip this one.

Thank you all. The only reason I wanted to do the Island princess for Panama Canal is she is doing it out of Los Angeles round trip but I had some kind of feeling that it is different than the crown princess. I think I will skip this one.

I have read many positive views on Island Princess also.Why would a change in ship's layout affect you when you never been on the Island ? I would make my decision on itinerary,not someone else"s opinion.I have sailed Princess several times and get the same service on all

Never sailed Princess before this year. We did a partial canal on the Island. I thought the ship was beautiful! There is definitely a crowding problem with the theater and the MDR. Another problem was an unhappy crew. They weren't rude, except for Paul Roberts who was aggressive and rude, but you could tell they were unhappy. Most of the excursions didn't happen or were messed up because of a captain who couldn't get anywhere on time. Hopefully they have changed the captain and the crew and staff are happier. I think the increase in numbers worked the poor crew to death. I did hear that Paul Roberts was moved to a ship in Alaska so beware! We were going to do Alaska through Princess but we'll never cruise with them again. We are looking at HAL or RCI.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just returned from a full transit of the Island (11/16). We had a great cruise.

If the itinerary works for you, go for it. We've been on the Island several times. Do you have to get to the show lounge early for good seats? Yes. But other than that we experienced no issues.

Who is Paul Roberts ?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

A staff member on the Island Princess who hung out in the smoking lounge smoking a lot. Yelled at cruisers, insulted people, unbelievable. One poor elderly man had to step in to defend his wife from him. If he heard anyone complain about anything he would jump all over them. It was just bizarre. Complaints did nothing except get us apologies. They did move him to another ship. He had been a dancer and moved to staff and this was his first cruise as staff. I imagine they moved him back to dancer or fired him. Princess obviously has training problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A staff member on the Island Princess who hung out in the smoking lounge smoking a lot. Yelled at cruisers, insulted people, unbelievable. One poor elderly man had to step in to defend his wife from him. If he heard anyone complain about anything he would jump all over them. It was just bizarre. Complaints did nothing except get us apologies. They did move him to another ship. He had been a dancer and moved to staff and this was his first cruise as staff. I imagine they moved him back to dancer or fired him. Princess obviously has training problems.

The complaints should have triggered his termination, not just transfer to another ship.