going solo

1landlover

Hi, might go on a 7 day cruise from San Juan in January of 2018 solo. Will be 46 year old male. Have any of you gone solo and how was it. What kind of age groups go in January? It will be through Royal Caribbean. Would a single male have fun, it's not cheap but I want a good vacation. Any and all advice appreciated.

Thank You

Cruising solo is great! I have sailed over 175 days solo. There are many chances to meet people. A few things you can do - join the roll call for your cruise, eat at a large table in the MDR, join activities (sports, trivia, etc.), frequent public areas (bars, lounges), etc.

The solo supplement is a pain but doing what you want, when you want helps make up for it.

Cruising solo is great! I have sailed over 175 days solo. There are many chances to meet people. A few things you can do - join the roll call for your cruise, eat at a large table in the MDR, join activities (sports, trivia, etc.), frequent public areas (bars, lounges), etc.

The solo supplement is a pain but doing what you want, when you want helps make up for it.

I cruised solo 20 times between 2002 and 2007, when I remarried (no, I did not meet her on a ship). They were all last minute bookings (HAL, NCL, Carnival) - reduced prices made single supplement bearable - going solo let jump on good deals. It is the best way to vacation alone - get active with your roll call to "pre-connect", request traditional dining at a large table, get involved in on board activities.

If you want to meet new friends, going solo will work for you. There are activities for solo passengers so you will not get bored. It just costs much $$$ for cruise fare as my friend related. I was also thinking that he even had more fun than me and my DW.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, might go on a 7 day cruise from San Juan in January of 2018 solo. Will be 46 year old male. Have any of you gone solo and how was it. What kind of age groups go in January? It will be through Royal Caribbean. Would a single male have fun, it's not cheap but I want a good vacation. Any and all advice appreciated.

Thank You

Go back to the Cruise Critic Message Board Forums page and scroll down to Special Interest Cruising. You'll see Singles Cruises and Solo Cruisers links. You might be able to get some good ideas, suggestions, recommendations, do's and don'ts.

Edited by davekathy

I sailed solo in 1997 as a 25 yr old female. Never had intentions of getting married and my friends could not join me for a variety of reasons. Was starting my "adult" life after college and thought if I never plan to marry i don't want to not travel so here I go!! I chose a cruise for all the different opportunities to meet people and interact during the wk. long story short....I was engaged 5 aka later to a 36 yr old never been married gentleman who was cruising solo for the same reason!! Married 19 yrs now!

GO and enjoy!! Cruising is a great venue for solo travelers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cruising solo is fun. You don't have to get approval/agreement from anyone to do an activity!

Some here will tell you the "best" way is to get involved in a roll call, get a large table at fixed dining, doing private tours with others. That is their version of "best." But, you do not have to do this at all if you do not want to. Do what you want. If you want to eat with the same strangers every night at the same time, fine. If you want variety, go with the ship's version of anytime dining and choose the table size you want and when you want to eat. If you decide you don't want the dining room on a given night (even last moment), go to the buffet, a specialty restaurant, or even savor a little private room service. If you want to be with others on a tour, go for it. If you want to strike out on your own, do it! Just because you are on a ship with 2,000 + others does not mean you cannot do things yourself if you want. As a solo, I believe yo have more freedom of choice than anyone else! Enjoy!

I'll be going on my second cruise, first time solo, in about a week.

I'm looking forward to it, but as it approaches, I find myself getting a little anxious about sailing solo -- the responses in this thread are just what I needed to read!

I think cruising can be a relaxing way to travel and enjoy vacation.

I haven't traveled on RCCL, but if I keep cruising, I'm sure I'll try them out. Based on what I've heard and read, particularly with regard to solo traveling, I think a trip in January would be just fine. There will likely be a range of ages, as well as people of varied marital and familial status. Lots of activities -- and opportunities not to be active. My thoughts: go and enjoy. :)

Edited by rootswings

Thank You

We did a Transatlantic last year on RCL and had two solo travelers at our 8 top table. They said they were having a great time and said they had no trouble meeting people and keeping busy during the day. One was 46 and the other was 70+. They didn't know each other before the cruise but became great friends.. happy cruising

Cruising solo is one of my most favorite activities even though I am married. I call my solos "sabbaticals" -- opportunities to rejeuvenate and relax on my own terms.

However, this year I am taking my daughter for my 55th birthday, and as much as I am looking forward to sharing this experience with her, on some level I wish I was going alone just because I have enjoyed cruising solo so much! Nevertheless, I know I'm going to have a wonderful time with her because both she and cruising are so awesome:)

Have the time of your life. You'll love it!