Head or Heart?

babs135

A question which has no right or wrong answer I suspect.

When does your head rule your heart regarding the cost of a cruise? I would love to do a half world cruise but there is no doubt that the cost is a huge consideration.

I will not go into debt to travel but I live very frugally and save every spare penny for travelling.

When I was in my mid-30s I started travelling again. Most of my friends and acquaintances thought I was nuts. They thought I should be saving for my old age, to help my daughter, remodel my house, etc.

Looking back now I am so glad I went where I did when I could. Today, I am not physically able to do some of the things I did 20 or 30 years ago. What will I be able to do in 5, 10, 20 years from now? Who knows. That is why I continue to pinch every penny and cruise as often as I can.

I have already completed one world cruise and am now saving for my second in 2018. My recommendation is, if you can afford it, go on the cruise.

It has been a long time since I wrote on Cruise Critic, Was on QM2 when a stroke ended my cruising days for good. Fortunately I had many cruises in my memories.

I lurk on here every day, my heart aches to "get under way"., but no company will accept me for travel ins, and limited mobility means I need a travel companion, which I do not have.

So I say DO THE MATHS. You must keep enough in savings for essentials, unexpected costs of health problems (pills can be expensive but sometimes we are misers only to leave a many dollars to or offspring who squander it in the blink of an eye, without even a thought.

Only this week I spent hours thinking about buying something selfish for myself, which was

stupid (only a couple of hundred dollars), only to hear from offspring how they were spending far more , going into debt without a thought , they are most certainly of the ME,ME,ME generation.

Think carefully what places do you feel you MUST see, perhaps you could part of a world cruise out overspending, you can enjoy XXX just as well in an inside cabin as in QG or PG. You can enjoy all the ship has to offer without buying that $60 bottle of wine at dinner.

Without being morbid also remember one day you may be a single instead of a couple , when memories mater more than dollars.

Best wishes.

Lynn

So glad to hear from you again Lynn. We took many memorable cruises over the years, but now I find it virtually impossible to get any company to insure me at all except for an eye watering fee, and forget USA completely. So the many trips we took are doubly precious now.

Take care,

DAVID

having watched several friends and elderly relatives having to go into care, mostly with dementia, and noticing how quickly their life savings vanish I would advise anyone to spend their money while they are still able to enjoy life.

If you have worked hard and have savings of over £23000 you will be charged the full cost of the care home which averages around £700 per week which is over £35000 per year. Once your savings have been depleted, if you have property a charge will be placed on that property and taken when you depart this mortal coil.

My wife and I have no children, a property worth around £200,000 and some savings that would vanish in a couple of years if either of us was to need a care or nursing home.

Therefore we have decided to spend our savings on travel and cruising and to hell with care home fees. They can have our property when we pass away as we wont be around to worry about that.

We might even go for some equity release if our savings run out before our health and leave even less for the vultures to pick over when we have gone.

We know people who had nothing when the day came they had to go into care, no savings, no property etc, but they had enjoyed life to the full and spent every penny they had as soon as they got it. The care homes they are in might not be the most luxurious or in the poshest areas, but the care they receive is excellent and in some cases even better than in the most expensive homes.

To summarise , SPEND it while you can, ACHIEVE your dreams and let tomorrow take care of its self.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. BUT how do I convince my DH?

As I said before he is firmly in the Head Group and shifting him out of the norm can prove almost impossible.

Anyway this whole conversation may be a waste of time if the figures don't add up :(

Will do nothing until we are back from our voyage/cruise over Christmas and the New Year. This was actually the start of the whole world cruise chatter, because we couldn't decide between it and the Queen Elizabeth cruise to San Francisco in January 2017. What swayed us was the price plus 4+1 nights in New York.

Maybe looking at FCC whilst we are on board may help :D:D

As I said before he is firmly in the Head Group and shifting him out of the norm can prove almost impossible.

Anyway this whole conversation may be a waste of time if the figures don't add up :(

Will do nothing until we are back from our voyage/cruise over Christmas and the New Year. This was actually the start of the whole world cruise chatter, because we couldn't decide between it and the Queen Elizabeth cruise to San Francisco in January 2017. What swayed us was the price plus 4+1 nights in New York.

I don't know what FCC means, but while on your Christmas/Near Year cruise you could try to get a better price on board and thus convince him?

Good luck!

Tell him you are going to go without him and it is going to cost double so he might as well go!;););)

I am not sure if things have changed or are different for segments but when I asked about an FCC for a world cruise, I was told you could not use them for world cruises.

Just wait for the right moment, whenever it is! :cool:

To summarise , SPEND it while you can, ACHIEVE your dreams and let tomorrow take care of its self.

Yes, there are many who have boozed, smoked, gambled and cruised throughout life then virtually left future tax payers to pick up the tab, many picking it up being folk who could no way afford to ever cruise.

Just saying.

DAVID

It has been a long time since I wrote on Cruise Critic, Was on QM2 when a stroke ended my cruising days for good. Fortunately I had many cruises in my memories.

I lurk on here every day, my heart aches to "get under way"., but no company will accept me for travel ins, and limited mobility means I need a travel companion, which I do not have.

So I say DO THE MATHS. You must keep enough in savings for essentials, unexpected costs of health problems (pills can be expensive but sometimes we are misers only to leave a many dollars to or offspring who squander it in the blink of an eye, without even a thought.

Only this week I spent hours thinking about buying something selfish for myself, which was

stupid (only a couple of hundred dollars), only to hear from offspring how they were spending far more , going into debt without a thought , they are most certainly of the ME,ME,ME generation.

Think carefully what places do you feel you MUST see, perhaps you could part of a world cruise out overspending, you can enjoy XXX just as well in an inside cabin as in QG or PG. You can enjoy all the ship has to offer without buying that $60 bottle of wine at dinner.

Without being morbid also remember one day you may be a single instead of a couple , when memories mater more than dollars.

Best wishes.

Lynn

Hi Mrs. Jimsgirl . How nice to hear from you again, Lynn. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. You have been missed.

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Yes, there are many who have boozed, smoked, gambled and cruised throughout life then virtually left future tax payers to pick up the tab, many picking it up being folk who could no way afford to ever cruise.

Just saying.

DAVID

Oh rats, I forgot to do that!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who has to beg, plead, coax, bargain with anyone to go on any trip winds up with a poor travelling companion.

Far better to Find someone who WANTS to take the trip, and make plans with them.

Happy travels to ALL.

Anyone who has to beg, plead, coax, bargain with anyone to go on any trip winds up with a poor travelling companion.

Far better to Find someone who WANTS to take the trip, and make plans with them.

Happy travels to ALL.

How true ... You said what I was thinking. I would even go further.

Very best wishes. :)