Recent Royal Princess Experiences in Sabatinis and Crown Grill

barbels

Tuesday is OK but you need to know which week of the month. We had a Pear tree blow down and use it for the fire. Gives a very mild hint of smoky flavor. We also serve wine from Abruzzi which cannot be bought, you have to be a family member. One priv of being married to an Italian Citizen. Hope you like to eat at 7 PM as I am not an old Fart who eats at 4 PM, gets up at 5AM and goes to bed at 8. GOSH! Gotta thaw some lamb chops today.

We've enjoyed the CG and Sabatini's on all of our previous Princess cruises. We find both to be well worth the extra charge. On the Royal (October 2013) I found the food in both establishments to be very good. The only negative, as I've mentioned before, is the placement of the Wheelhouse Bar making it difficult to enjoy a quiet meal when the piano player is performing and the audience is participating. For Sabatini's the closeness to the Piazza also makes it hard, at least IMHO, to enjoy a quiet meal.....:):):)

Bob

I' date=' too, like Sabatini's.

I always have wonderful service, there.

There are some unique menu items, which I enjoy. [i']The twice baked artichoke souffle is fantastic![/i]

The seafood pasta is wonderful!

The espresso creme brulee is my favorite dessert:)

I have dined at Sabatini's on the Star, Golden, Sapphire, Diamond, Grand, and on the Emerald, before Share.

Always great!

Agreed:). On the CB this past September, I enjoyed it along with Osso Buco as my main course. Both were very tasty.....:):):)

Bob

Tuesday is OK but you need to know which week of the month. We had a Pear tree blow down and use it for the fire. Gives a very mild hint of smoky flavor. We also serve wine from Abruzzi which cannot be bought, you have to be a family member. One priv of being married to an Italian Citizen. Hope you like to eat at 7 PM as I am not an old Fart who eats at 4 PM, gets up at 5AM and goes to bed at 8. GOSH! Gotta thaw some lamb chops today.

How is the second week in September? I love to try the wine from Abruzzi Uncle WupperAV and Fugheddaboudit you know I'm Italian!!! :) :).

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Crown Grill, we've gone every time we cruise. I was starting to think the up charge was too much, but I have since changed my opinion.

Went on a Holiday lunch with friends at a high end steakhouse in Palo Alto,CA and paid $50 for a filet mignon. It was OK, but that filet was not as good as what I've had at Crown Grill. So for $29, I am happy to pay the up charge.

I have learned the trick at the Crown Grill, order one temperature less than you want on your steak. So if I want medium rare, I order rare. The only situation this does not work on is if you want a rare steak. We usually dine twice per cruise at the Crown Grill. I was happy to have the experience on land to compare so I could appreciate what I get at the Crown Grill.

Only once have I received an over salted steak, and I did not send it back. I should have, but I just shared with my husband. My biggest issue with Crown is that it's too much food, but now I just eat till I'm full and I don't over stuff myself. I hate to waste food, but I also hate to feel sick after a meal.

Sabatini's is also a restaurant we enjoy. We went on our last cruise and loved it. Had not planned on going twice, but my husband and son did chef's table so we booked Sabatini's for those not at chef's table. I enjoyed both my meals there. The veal chop was fabulous and so was the steak.

I think both venue's are delicious. Check out the menus and give them a try. Hopefully you will like them.

I feel the Crown Grill is worth the extra expense for the reasons already stated.

I also like Sabatini's but I didn't until I realized I didn't have to order an entree off of their fixed menu. I do really like their pasta and I ask for an entree portion (full disclosure, I'm not Italian). I wasn't thrilled with their pasta offerings one evening and asked if I could just have a plate of pasta with olive oil and garlic and they were more than happy to oblige.

It's always a lovely dining room and the service at both venues is top notch.

Go and enjoy.