Tipping Cabin Steward?

MarinaDCA

There is a suggested daily amt for each stateroom category...can be added on to your account.

We also give extra upon meeting, for extra service along the way and at the end...amts vary. Our last attendant was amazing...so we rewarded him.

So this is why the cabin stewards are over friendly on day one.

I never imaged anyone bribing up front,

We always keep the auto tips on, don't expect any additional service or request any.

i prefer to never see the room steward if possible

I have said this before TIPPING is out of control. The employees are just doing their job, if they do something special like clean up after you vomit all over the bath room, or something else special, or you just like them of what ever reason. You should tip more, but other than special things that PREPAID Gratuities is enough.

Well, now you know that the staff are barely paid anything by their employer and the recipients of the daily gratuities (more a service charge really) receive 95%+ of their pay via these gratuities. It is sad that you were so misinformed that you stiffed these hardworking people in the past; hopefully now that you know the gratuities are their pay you will not stiff them going forward - if you do that says a lot about your character. No tipped staff on a Celebrity cruise ship took the job based on the salary offered; they took it based on the expectation that the vast majority of customers are decent people who would not turn them into their unpaid servants.

The point is I do not know what their salaries are . I initially thought that no one else on this forum does either - I do not resile from this view.

Can someone explain why posters on here seem to think they are compulsory when Celebrity clearly does not. My view of tips/gratuities/bribes is it is one big tax evasion .

I neither receive nor offer tips. Others are free to do whatever they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The "terms" included TIPS from the guests.....I guess you ignored that part of the deal.

If you don't want to tip then refuse service in your stateroom...clean it yourself and eat in the buffet for every meal.....

How can you know this ? Very strange contract if it is. Over here HMRC would take an interest.

My contract with Celebrity includes the rooms being cleaned daily plus dinner in the MDR. I have paid for these services within the cost of the cruise.

If it is as bad as some on here say then Celebrity could always include the Auto-Grats in the cruise price and cease allowing guests to remove them.

How can you know this ? Very strange contract if it is. Over here HMRC would take an interest.

My contract with Celebrity includes the rooms being cleaned daily plus dinner in the MDR. I have paid for these services within the cost of the cruise.

If it is as bad as some on here say then Celebrity could always include the Auto-Grats in the cruise price and cease allowing guests to remove them.

But it's not "over here" so HMRC is irrelevant. As I said before it's when in Rome do as the Romans do. Or sail on a UK flagged ship if they exist. If you accept the gratuity could be added to the fare why not pay the auto gratuity now?

PS I think you will find your contract is much less specific and there are a number of circumstances in which you might find these services were not offered

Why are you spinning such a load of garbage of an excuse for your behavior? We know - and you know - that you remove the auto grats to benefit yourself, and yourself only. That you know how the system has been structured, yet refuse to go along with the intent, clearly shows your character - and it doesn't look good to those of us who care about the crew rather than only ourselves. Greed is one thing. But refusing to admit it when you know you are doing it is even worse.

And as another poster has said - you aren't "over here", so your coveted HMRC means nothing. But then again, you know that, and still you act like you do.

Edited by sloopsailor

My last two cruises I tipped $20 in advance and asked for daily ice and both times I didn't get it. Had to track them down and continually ask. Did not remove auto grats. and would never even consider that!! I'm on the cruise this Saturday also and my plan this time is to tip daily for the ice...Like leave the money on top of the ice bucket on top of my bed every morning when I leave. I hoping that will work.

Why are you spinning such a load of garbage of an excuse for your behavior? We know - and you know - that you remove the auto grats to benefit yourself, and yourself only. That you know how the system has been structured, yet refuse to go along with the intent, clearly shows your character - and it doesn't look good to those of us who care about the crew rather than only ourselves. Greed is one thing. But refusing to admit it when you know you are doing it is even worse.

And as another poster has said - you aren't "over here", so your coveted HMRC means nothing. But then again, you know that, and still you act like you do.

Well said....I hope I never meet this person on a ship.....can't imagine anyone who would rip off people who work so hard to make your vacation so wonderful.:rolleyes:

My last two cruises I tipped $20 in advance and asked for daily ice and both times I didn't get it. Had to track them down and continually ask. Did not remove auto grats. and would never even consider that!! I'm on the cruise this Saturday also and my plan this time is to tip daily for the ice...Like leave the money on top of the ice bucket on top of my bed every morning when I leave. I hoping that will work.

We asked for and got our ice on every cruise, and never tipped in advance. A good attendant would consider that part of his job and not need "incentive" to do it. Try not tipping in advance, ask for the ice, and see what happens. YOu might be pleased with the result.

The same poster has derailed many a thread with the same talking points and probably does so for attention since there are very few people who really act this way in real life. And I like to think that those who do suffer other consequences with the universe. Best to ignore them.

However, I do agree with those that tipping up front is putting the room attendant "on notice" and tends toward the rude rather than the helpful. When I worked in hotels earlier in life, I rarely saw people get different levels of service based on tips unless you were a "regular," and even that was based on the rapport between individuals rather than the amount of money being given. A customer who is too demanding is going to wear out their welcome pretty quickly in most circumstances.