Tipping Cabin Steward?

MarinaDCA

I asked my cabin attendant if he had to pool the tip I gave him, he said no. They get to keep that.

They get to keep the tips if they are additional to the automatic daily suggested amount. It has been widely reported here on CruiseCritic that when the automatic tips are left in place, any tips that add to those amounts can be kept. However, if the auto tips have been removed, then all cash tips MUST be surrendered to the pool and distributed accordingly. It also has been reported here that if they do not surrender these tips, they risk being disciplined or fired, and/or banned from future contracts.

It's all up to you.

Well OP, there you go, it's all over the map w/ regards to tipping. Before, after, & how much, if any is all up to you. But I'll throw is nugget out there, the fine folks that serve us all are in the service trade and I haven't met anyone in the Hotel or Restaurant industry that considered a tip a bribe. The more they get, the happier they are. The happier they are, the happier we are.

Enjoy your cruise!

They get to keep the tips if they are additional to the automatic daily suggested amount. It has been widely reported here on CruiseCritic that when the automatic tips are left in place, any tips that add to those amounts can be kept. However, if the auto tips have been removed, then all cash tips MUST be surrendered to the pool and distributed accordingly. It also has been reported here that if they do not surrender these tips, they risk being disciplined or fired, and/or banned from future contracts.

True. :)

Since the OP and I both said the auto grats were left in place, that is not relevant in this particular circumstance. However thanks for reminding people about the ones who withdraw their auto grats.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Since I am relatively new to cruising, I have a hypothetical question. What happens if you pre-tip your steward and you receive terrible service? Do you ask for your money back?

I would think you would be out of luck. To ask for the money back would be for a very gutsy person IMO. I couldn't do that. I would just let it be.

Maybe you could go to guest services and reduce the prepaid gratuity?

I am also newish to cruising. For my upcoming cruise I have a stack of dollar bills set aside to tip as I go which I didn't have on previous cruises.

Since I am relatively new to cruising, I have a hypothetical question. What happens if you pre-tip your steward and you receive terrible service? Do you ask for your money back?

You bite the bullet and deal with it and make sure you report the lousy service on your comment card that they send you via email.

BUT

In over 25 cruises we've never had "lousy" service so the odds are this will NOT happen......not saying it can't but odds are against it...

While it is helpful and interesting to hear from fellow cruisers about their tipping practices and experiences, considering the range of opinions, it's hard to judge what is "correct" or not. I've heard that Europe and other parts of the world have very different customs and expectations about tipping than we do in the States. Considering all this, I'd love to hear from some former (or current) cruise workers on what their experiences and thoughts are regarding tips. There are some great "tell all" stories from former cruise employees on Reddit, but I didn't read anything on there about tipping.

My personal rule of thumb is: tip extra for exceptional service rendered, particularly if your exceptional needs are being catered to.

Interesting - I am going into this assuming the service will be "good" but if I were getting truly terrible service I think I might go to guest relations. Not to get my tip back, that $20 is gone, but to resolve the issue. I am thinking terrible service = doesn't make the room up, is rude to me, ignores my requests, something on that level.

But really, I am just going to be happy to be on vacation. Unless its awful I don't think it's going to bug me enough to do anything about.

I've never tipped on the front end. I guess I see the logic of you are asking for several things to be done; but as a 'you'll get more later if you do a good enough job' move it seems like a crummy thing to do. As if you don't believe they will do a good job without the 'tease' that there's more money coming.

We always leave dsc in place and don't usually tip the cabin Steward extra, but we also don't ask for extra things. Never ask for the fridge to be cleaned out, ice in room, mattress topper, etc; and hardly ever order room service. Agree that if we asked for extra services or was provided over the top service we would probably tip extra. Generally get the room cleaned once a day, turn down once a day, and a friendly hello in hallway. Never been dissatisfied but that seems like the basics of their job, not anything over the top.

I get the theory that maybe if we handed them $20 upfront we would get over the top service, but we are low maintenance people and really don't need anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

And still it goes on. Coming from a region of the world where tipping is near to non existent and any posters of my ilk are regularly abused on the assumption that we are no better than pond scum I can understand why you would completely overlook my experience because the truth is not what posting here is about.

I have only done two Celebrity cruises (just in case that info is some how obscure). Perchance I had the same butler on both cruises. The first cruise there were some teething issues with expectations not met. I expressed my displeasure and things were remedied. At the end of the cruise I tipped in what according to opinion on here would pass for mediocre.

The next cruise my needs were attended to carefully, but above and beyond I was sent to my suite with my canapes multiple bottles of champagne by my butler. Other crew scurried to meet my needs.

What did I do wrong? For surely according to those in the know on here I should be dredging for my luggage still.

Different strokes for different folks.....as long as you don't remove the auto tips (unless of course you received horrible service....I mean REALLY horrible service) do what YOU are comfortable with....:)

I am comfortable with removing the Auto-Grats. This is my choice that Celebrity is completely OK with ( do it every time).

Why is it that other people seem to think it is their concern ?

I am comfortable with removing the Auto-Grats. This is my choice that Celebrity is completely OK with ( do it every time).

Because that is how the hard working staff are paid! Removing Auto-Grats is a horrible thing to do (unless in the highly unlikely event one receives very poor service, reports this to the appropriate supervisor and continues to receive poor service). Otherwise you are turning the hard working staff into your unpaid servants.

You're kidding right? :eek:

As Gonzo said...it's how they get paid....they aren't your slaves to work for nothing.

Because that is how the hard working staff are paid! Removing Auto-Grats is a horrible thing to do (unless in the highly unlikely event one receives very poor service, reports this to the appropriate supervisor and continues to receive poor service). Otherwise you are turning the hard working staff into your unpaid servants.

You're kidding right? :eek:

As Gonzo said...it's how they get paid....they aren't your slaves to work for nothing.

This is just as bad as hiring a house cleaner and a caterer and then not paying them when they have provided their services. It amazes my how low some people will stoop to save a few dollars. That the cruise line allows people to remove the tips doesn't make it morally acceptable.

I wonder if these people also steal money out of collection baskets at church. :rolleyes:

Please tell me you are joking? Whilst tipping may not be as significant part of British culture be minded when in Rome do as the Romans. Whilst you may not want to give additional tips your actions are inferring inappropriate levels of service which will be noted by the staffs managers. This could have consequences- what reason will they think? Please the cost is not significant compared to your cruise cost and someone who is not financially secure as we are could pay a high price as a result

So I guess a thread on any part of tipping cannot be had without certain people, who do not believe in tipping, coming onto it with a bunch of hostility?

I was more curious about what other people, who DID tip the room steward did. I am going to tip. End of story. If you (Adidas and Ladiesign) do not want to its not my business to make you. But absolutely I will judge your character negatively if that is what you choose to do. You are free to do what you want, and others are free to think whatever they want of your actions.

The remuneration of staff is not my concern. I dont know how much the Captain or a Barman earns - it is only a concern of the Staff and their employer. As far as I know all the staff volunteered to do the job at whatever salary and terms were offered.

The remuneration of staff is not my concern. I dont know how much the Captain or a Barman earns - it is only a concern of the Staff and their employer. As far as I know all the staff volunteered to do the job at whatever salary and terms were offered.

The "terms" included TIPS from the guests.....I guess you ignored that part of the deal.

If you don't want to tip then refuse service in your stateroom...clean it yourself and eat in the buffet for every meal.....