How much would you pay to upgrade?

Tamara

Just Curious.....

This is the first time we have ever booked a guarantee.

We booked a Concierge guarantee on the Silhouette (Western Caribbean) and was assigned C1 9378.

We love aft cabins, (however if I were to personally select a cabin I would not choose this particular cabin) but that is the fun/risk of booking a guarantee. I get that.

The C1 cabins on deck 9 appear to be smaller than Aft cabins on other decks (Is that true??) and most Aft cabins on the Silhouette don't have much shade which could be a problem for my husband.

Concierge and Aqua class is sold out but I could upgrade to a sky suite.

The question i'm asking you is how much would you pay to upgrade?

I just went through this myself. Ultimately I decided we would take a suite upgrade to an S2 for no more than $800 more than we paid for an 1C with Go Best. This would put our cost at about $4000 for a 7 day cruise.

The TA had a cabin available for a short time that would have hit my price point, but of course I thought about it too long and it was gone.

For us, cruises are more of a 'budget' type trip. We save the more expensive vacations for higher end resorts, Europe, Hawaii, etc. But obviously there are a lot of people out there that will spend a fortune on a suite. I'm just not one of them.

All of the non-suite balcony cabins are basically the same size on S class ships. Are you sure Aqua is sold out? We're also doing the Western Caribbean in February (albeit on Reflection from Miami instead) and there are a pretty significant number of Aqua and Concierge cabins available.

Edited by Jeremiah1212

I just went through this myself. Ultimately I decided we would take a suite upgrade to an S2 for no more than $800 more than we paid for an 1C with Go Best. This would put our cost at about $4000 for a 7 day cruise.

The TA had a cabin available for a short time that would have hit my price point, but of course I thought about it too long and it was gone.

For us, cruises are more of a 'budget' type trip. We save the more expensive vacations for higher end resorts, Europe, Hawaii, etc. But obviously there are a lot of people out there that will spend a fortune on a suite. I'm just not one of them.

All of the non-suite balcony cabins are basically the same size on S class ships. Are you sure Aqua is sold out? We're also doing the Western Caribbean in February (albeit on Reflection from Miami instead) and there are a pretty significant number of Aqua and Concierge cabins available.

Thanks for your insight.

We're on the 1-22 sailing.

This trip is just to relax and de-stress so I'm thinking we may spend more time than usual in our cabin and balcony than usual.

All of the cabins are the same size. If you think the deck plan is the Bible, look at the neighboring Sky suite on the corner...It looks to be smaller than the neighboring C2 and C3s. As to your particular cabin, have you checked the S class cabin sticky at the top of the page for reviews of this cabin or other aft cabins on deck 9? EM

The veranda, CC & AQ cabins are the same size. Some may have larger balconies but interior is the same.

The aft cabins have minimal shade which is from a small 14-16" approx overhang above the balcony. People on the decks above can look down & see about 1/2 of your balcony; and you can look down to the decks below. We have sailed in aft balconies 4 times and love them. Have 2 more booked.

As for the suite that's probably not something we would do on a 7 day cruise or it would have to be one h.... Of a deal. A longer cruise with a lot of sea days we try an get a suite if the budget allows.

All of the cabins are the same size. If you think the deck plan is the Bible, look at the neighboring Sky suite on the corner...It looks to be smaller than the neighboring C2 and C3s. As to your particular cabin, have you checked the S class cabin sticky at the top of the page for reviews of this cabin or other aft cabins on deck 9? EM

Good point about the deck plan.

I did check the sticky and there is mention that the balcony is a bit smaller than others but its the lack of shade that concerns me. When we had aft cabins on other ships the balconies were at least partially covered. My husband won't sit out in the sun.

The veranda, CC & AQ cabins are the same size. Some may have larger balconies but interior is the same.

The aft cabins have minimal shade which is from a small 14-16" approx overhang above the balcony. People on the decks above can look down & see about 1/2 of your balcony; and you can look down to the decks below. We have sailed in aft balconies 4 times and love them. Have 2 more booked.

As for the suite that's probably not something we would do on a 7 day cruise or it would have to be one h.... Of a deal. A longer cruise with a lot of sea days we try an get a suite if the budget allows.

Thanks Jelayne

Just Curious.....

This is the first time we have ever booked a guarantee.

We booked a Concierge guarantee on the Silhouette (Western Caribbean) and was assigned C1 9378.

We love aft cabins, (however if I were to personally select a cabin I would not choose this particular cabin) but that is the fun/risk of booking a guarantee. I get that.

The C1 cabins on deck 9 appear to be smaller than Aft cabins on other decks (Is that true??) and most Aft cabins on the Silhouette don't have much shade which could be a problem for my husband.

Concierge and Aqua class is sold out but I could upgrade to a sky suite.

The question i'm asking you is how much would you pay to upgrade?

We always book a veranda, but twice we were upgraded. Once for no cost to Aqua and second on our Millennium Japan cruise to a Sky Suite.

The Sky Suite was a very nice one 6145. We paid a total of $800 for both of us for the upgrade. We enjoyed the large cabin, balcony and bathroom, but might not do it again. To us the main benefit of a suite was dining in Luminae. Luminae was wonderful. The only issue was that we had met some new cc friends at the meet and greet and could never get together with them, since they could not dine with us unless they paid $50 pp each.

Some people like a lot of hand holding and such, we didn't know what to do with our butler. He was great, but depending on the cruise, we might upgrade again for $800, probably if it was for a TA cruise.

Also, if we had three persons in the cabin, that would make it worth the upgrade.

We went from a C2 on the slant to an S1 corner aft for a total of 300...now I can't go back...that is the worst part, as I am totally hooked on the S1 corner aft....not good at all, but you can't take it with you...I do not care about the next two levels of suites, so no worries there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

Nice reading your perspective as we agree. That is also why we've sailed Carnival in the past but now in our 30's we're ready to move on and are excited to try Celebrity. I've kind of felt like we were the only ones that viewed cruising that way! We do cruises when we want a budget vacation-except when we do Disney (with our children) because unfortunately DCL and budget don't really go together!

Nice reading your perspective as we agree. That is also why we've sailed Carnival in the past but now in our 30's we're ready to move on and are excited to try Celebrity. I've kind of felt like we were the only ones that viewed cruising that way! We do cruises when we want a budget vacation-except when we do Disney (with our children) because unfortunately DCL and budget don't really go together!

If you can afford a suite, are retired and can't take it with you, not to mention getting a good deal...why not? You are in your thirties with other priorities...we always stay a while in Europe...it is very educational unlike Hawaii; we did that when we were your age. Perspective and time changes things....you will find that out as you grow older. The 30's are not the same as the 50's and 60's...cruising to Europe is so much better than flying..I have never done Carnival and most likely won't; I am glad it once worked for you! I still prefer hiking in NZ to cruising around it...sure hope you enjoy Celebrity.

Edited by Lastdance

If you can afford a suite, are retired and can't take it with you, not to mention getting a good deal...why not? You are in your thirties with other priorities...we always stay a while in Europe...it is very educational unlike Hawaii; we did that when we were your age. Perspective and time changes things....you will find that out as you grow older. The 30's are not the same as the 50's and 60's...cruising to Europe is so much better than flying..I have never done Carnival and most likely won't; I am glad it once worked for you! I still prefer hiking in NZ to cruising around it...sure hope you enjoy Celebrity.

Oh goodness, I apologize as I didn't mean to offend anyone! Everyone has different priorities and ways they like to travel is all I meant and it seems rare that others view cruising as we do which for us means a cruise is a budget trip :) We prefer land based trips rather than cruises and in actuality if we are going to be on the water my husband prefers bareboat charters because he is an avid sailor. We have done the BVI and the Renaissance Islands recently-we had booked a charter in Greece this past August but having our daughter due the same month changed those plans. We've actually never been to Hawaii but one of our first big vacations after we were married was 18 days spent traveling in Hungary and Croatia so yes we are big Europe fans. We fondly call our daughter our Parisian hitchhiker from our week we spent in Paris last Fall!

Edited by Redgte