6 ships, over 20,000 people, what beach?

aisahunterrider

Help. 6 ships, just us and a few people.

We come into port fifth at 10 am

we wanted to do Magen's but it will be so busy. Already have been to Emerald,which was lovely when we went. Any other suggestions for mom and a 9 year old?

He likes to snorkel or small waves are good too.

We will be docked at Havensight. If that helps.

Help. 6 ships, just us and a few people.

We come into port fifth at 10 am

we wanted to do Magen's but it will be so busy. Already have been to Emerald,which was lovely when we went. Any other suggestions for mom and a 9 year old?

He likes to snorkel or small waves are good too.

We will be docked at Havensight. If that helps.

We have been to st. Thomas many times when there that many ships in port. Our absolute favorite beach is right on board the ship. It's quite. Get my choice of lounge chairs, free food and free booze, if one has a beverage package.

This is what Megan's Bay looks like when there are 20,000 people on the island.

https://goo.gl/images/cINQR4

Edited by PoppyandNana

LOL PoppyandNana. Nice picture of a Chinese beach...

If you really want an off the beaten path beach: Brewer's Bay or Hull Bay. No, you won't get chairs, but if you want chairs, then everyone else will want them, too. Sapphire is a great big, long beach with chairs. That might work, too. :)

Consider taking him on a ship's excursion going to St. John w/Trunk Bay as the time at the beach. :)

I second this. We did a variation on this a couple of years ago with a sail/snorkel excursion through Royal. I am sure similar packages are available through other line or on the net. A 20-30 minute ride to the marina (oh well), then a great catamaran sail over to one of the bays on St Johns. The snorkeling was not world class, too much wave action and so slightly murky water, but we did get to swim with/near turtles and mantas. The crew keeps an eye out for novices who might be struggling, and the more experienced can swim further away from the boat to different spots with different sealife. I think some just swam ashore and spent the time on the beach. After an hour, all-aboard, a nice sail back to St Thomas, lunch and drinks along the way. I am a few years beyond being able to mind meld with nine year olds to be able to discern what might be memorable for them, but I think this could be great fun.

Stan

There are several threads in this forum with the same subject and the same responses.

For beaches -

Beaches to avoid on this day:

Magens

Coki

Trunk

Secret Harbor will probably also be crowded.

For beaches that offer lounge rentals and other amenities that we would suggest -

Sapphire - Quieter, waves can be small or larger depending on weather.

Secret Harbor - Smaller bay so it will be crowded, but a more protected bay with small waves.

Both have restaurants and dive centers renting what you need and offer snorkeling. Sapphire has natural shade but that may be taken by the time you get there. SH has no shade for day visitors, and because you're arriving later you may want to reserve chairs and umbrellas ahead of time because they run out. You can contact the dive center at http://www.aadivers.com.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is another option but is also a longer taxi from Havensight and will be more crowded if ships are docked in Crown Bay.

Hull Bay is harder to get a taxi to, has one beach bar, and no lounge chair or other rentals. Beach is more natural (not as pristine as the others mentioned).

Elysian Beach in Cowpet Bay (near Secret Harbor) would be our choice. There are condo properties in the bay but virtually no other day visitors will be there. There is a beach bar (Sangria's Beachside Bistro) and restaurant, and a very calm beach every time we've been there. You'd want to have the driver return, but you could also have the gal at Sangria's call one.

For a quieter beach with calmer water and food, drink, and restrooms this is a good choice. I'm just not sure about chair rentals but you can email Sangria's at info@stthomasrestaurantgroup.com and see photos and their menu here -

http://www.sangriasvi.com/

Good luck!:)

I just saw the suggestions on a day sail to STJ and that is also a good option on a busy day if you don't want a beach. There are several independent operators offering monohull sails to Caneel Bay and other snorkel spots like Yacht Nightwind, New Horizon, and High Pockets. Or the champagne cat to STJ through the cruise line.

But for a beach day there are a few good options too!

We went to Sapphire a couple of days ago and loved it. Not too crowded and snorkeling was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What's the best way to get there? Taxi? Thanks...we'll be there in February.

What's the best way to get there? Taxi? Thanks...we'll be there in February.

We took a taxi there. It was $11pp to get there from crown bay. While we were there we heard about the local safari bus that only costs $1pp no matter where you go so we took it back to the port. All you do to catch it is get to the main rd and once you see the bus (it's an open bus that looks like the touristy taxi busses but it's full of locals) point your finger in the air and the driver will stop for you. You can talk to the guy at the dive shop at Sapphire while you're there and he can answer any questions you have about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Taxi is the quickest and $10pp each way from your port at Havensight. The $2pp bus is an option as mentioned but you have to walk to meet it both ways and sometimes wait for one that has room.

Sapphire is gorgeous and a good choice on a busier day. Lots of natural shade if you're there early and good food and drink options.

Edited by blue_water

Taxi is the quickest and $10pp each way from your port at Havensight. The $2pp bus is an option as mentioned but you have to walk to meet it both ways and sometimes wait for one that has room.

Sapphire is gorgeous and a good choice on a busier day. Lots of natural shade if you're there early and good food and drink options.

You say natural shade if you get there early enough. Does that mean there are no umbrellas for rent? What about lounge chairs?

We ended up snorkeling. The kid changed his mind last minute.Thank goodness.

We did the Turtle Cove/Shipwreck snorkeling excursion. It was fabulous. A little cold (low 80's) but we are from Florida and don't go to the beach normally until

its in the nineties. One ship left before we even got off ours. Then when we went to the pier after 6 there were no people around. Jewelry stores were open, no souvenir shops. no line for Paradise point. So much better since all the construction is finished too.

Can't wait to go bacK to St Thomas and hit a beach.

Glad you enjoyed your day at Turtle Cove, asiahunterrider. I've done that excursion twice and it's great when your ship manages to get there when there are few ships. I think it's safer that way, because the crew can keep an eye on their people. Timing is everything!

We just were there with 6 ships in port. We did a "St John on your own" excursion. Bought through the cruise line. Basically it is a boat that picks you up from the ship and drops you off at St John then picks you up and drops you back at the ship. We went to Honeymoon Beach and it was pretty much empty. I was thinking Trunk Bay but thought it would be too crowded with all the excursions.

Enjoy