'FREE' drinks package or not?

citizenfrank

Sorry in advance as I know this question crops up regularly, the worrying thing for me is despite being fairly intelligent & ready a lot of the posts ...I am still confused!

We sailed on EPIC this last October just prior to her repositioning to Port Canaveral & enjoyed her, even without any drinks package!

We have just booked on to her repositioning back to Barcelona on 1st April next year & received the UDP ...quite common I think on repositioning cruises.

The agent assured me when I asked the question that FREE means free & there would be nothing to pay on board regarding drinks providing they were below $15 ...the price cap I get!

To be clear on the confirmation there is no costing showing for the package just the following under ADD ON'S...

2 x Adult Beverage Package

Please, please can someone clarify if the 18% gratuity is payable at all?

Is it payable only on the 'cost' of the package? (though its FREE!!)

Is it payable on each & every drink once on board?

Does this vary being at sea or in port?

THANK YOU for your help in advance

Frank

Sorry in advance as I know this question crops up regularly, the worrying thing for me is despite being fairly intelligent & ready a lot of the posts ...I am still confused!

We sailed on EPIC this last October just prior to her repositioning to Port Canaveral & enjoyed her, even without any drinks package!

We have just booked on to her repositioning back to Barcelona on 1st April next year & received the UDP ...quite common I think on repositioning cruises.

The agent assured me when I asked the question that FREE means free & there would be nothing to pay on board regarding drinks providing they were below $15 ...the price cap I get!

To be clear on the confirmation there is no costing showing for the package just the following under ADD ON'S...

Please, please can someone clarify if the 18% gratuity is payable at all?

Is it payable only on the 'cost' of the package? (though its FREE!!)

Is it payable on each & every drink once on board?

Does this vary being at sea or in port?

THANK YOU for your help in advance

Frank

Normally you would pay 18% of the cost of the package (if you were paying for it) upfront with your booking. But, it looks like you are from England. So I don't believe you pay at all.

Onboard you will not be charged gratuities and anything additional you choose to leave is at your discretion.

In port canaveral you will pay taxes on the drink price until you (we) get out to sea. I'm not sure if there are taxes in port in Europe.

I believe you pay the 18% gratuity on the total value of the package. Even though you received it for free, you still pay 18%. For my 7 night cruise I believe this worked out to be about $100 a person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The OP is from England. Their rules are different than US rules.

The answer is....it depends.
I think the answer is in the OP's first message:

If they booked with NCL US, there would be a line in the "Booking components" that said "Bev Srv Charge" or something like that. It sounds like OP has looked for this, and found nothing.

Yep if it's booked in the UK then the gratuities are included. If it's in the US then you will be charged.

I really hope they don't start charging us in the UK! I love love love the package, if you fancy reading about what is included/what isn't (bottled water etc) then this post may be of interest to you... http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/10/ncls-unlimited-beverage-package/

There's also a lot of photos on there of yummy drinks which are making me very nostalgic!

Firstly, nobody pays 18% of the drink price per drink if they have the UBP. It doesn't matter how you got it, whether you paid for it or got it as a promo. It doesn't matter where you booked it. Nobody pays a per drink gratuity if they have the UBP.

As has been stated above, if the OP is from Manchester, UK and booked through the UK office then there is no gratuity to pay at all.

To be absolutely sure, look at your cruise confirmation. If there is gratuity to pay then it will be shown on there and is payable with final payment.

If you booked in the U.K. There won't be a charge there. If in the US then there will and if in another country then there may or may not be, depending on the country.

Brilliant to know finally! It looks like the key point is the location of the booking, as in UK or USA. I am from Manchester UK, though sadly I would LOVE that to be the New Hampshire alternative as the US is my adopted country, the love of my life!

Two final points, maybe help or hinder lol...

1) The NCL paperwork/invoice including balance to pay reflects NO surcharge

2) NOT booked on line but through the UK call center ...which is in MALTA!!

Same lady who booked us for the Med cruise on Epic as she did a good job the first time around :)

Good shout from the responder who highlighted tax applicable in port, so a little whilst in Florida and potentially in Bermuda, plus for sure in Malaga as Spain love a tax lol ...But overall a lot of sea days :p

Brilliant to know finally! It looks like the key point is the location of the booking, as in UK or USA. I am from Manchester UK, though sadly I would LOVE that to be the New Hampshire alternative as the US is my adopted country, the love of my life!

Two final points, maybe help or hinder lol...

1) The NCL paperwork/invoice including balance to pay reflects NO surcharge

2) NOT booked on line but through the UK call center ...which is in MALTA!!

Same lady who booked us for the Med cruise on Epic as she did a good job the first time around :)

Good shout from the responder who highlighted tax applicable in port, so a little whilst in Florida and potentially in Bermuda, plus for sure in Malaga as Spain love a tax lol ...But overall a lot of sea days :p

Yep! I rushed in on Miami and headed straight for a drink, had a couple of cents tax :-)

Just to be clear: If there's a $199.08($99.54 each) Bev Srv Charge on our cruise confirmation, that's all we pay for the drink package? Nothing else will be added? Reservation made in the USA. First time on Norwegian, so a little confused! Thank you so much.

Just to be clear: If there's a $199.08($99.54 each) Bev Srv Charge on our cruise confirmation, that's all we pay for the drink package? Nothing else will be added? Reservation made in the USA. First time on Norwegian, so a little confused! Thank you so much.

Basically correct. You won't be charged anything else for drinks unless you get something which isn't included in the package (bottles of wine, bottles of water, chargeable coffees or drinks over $15). If you do buy a drink over $15 then you just pay the extra. Gratuity is chargeable on any drinks not included in the package.

I may have missed some exclusion from the package, but that's the main ones as far as I recall.

Tax may be chargeable when in port as discussed above.

Edited by KeithJenner

Yep! I rushed in on Miami and headed straight for a drink, had a couple of cents tax :-)

Holy Crap! THANK YOU. I have been racking my brain since the end of October trying to figure out why I was charged 6 cents on one beer I drank while on the cruise. You just solved the mystery and saved me from a full blown mental breakdown.

It's not about the money....my brain just needed to know. :D

Holy Crap! THANK YOU. I have been racking my brain since the end of October trying to figure out why I was charged 6 cents on one beer I drank while on the cruise. You just solved the mystery and saved me from a full blown mental breakdown.

It's not about the money....my brain just needed to know. :D

Phew!!! You can now rest easy :D