Health Insurance for Cuba Does it cover entire trip , and a few other questions

kibutzer

We moved to Marina sailing because we wanted to experience Cuba. I understand we have to purchase health insurance through Oceania but no one has been able to show me the policy and what it actually covers. Since we have experienced a medical emergency we want to be sure we are covered for the entire trip not just when we are in Cuba. I have spoken to my TA and to O and have not been able to obtain any details.

On another note I have see documents we need to complete depicting why we are visiting how do we determine which we should identify?

Will we need to book shore excursions with ship or can we tour on our own?

Also I think I saw a post that says we need a yellow fever vaccine but I have not seen any information on that as well.

TIA

B

No yellow fever shot required

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/cuba.html

passport is required though

I suspect it is insurance while you are Cuba so you will need other travel insurance for the rest of the trip

Cuba requires visitors to have non-U.S. medical insurance, and sells a temporary policy to those who do not have it. Questions about this insurance requirement should be directed to the Cuban Embassy

I understand we have to purchase health insurance through Oceania but no one has been able to show me the policy and what it actually covers. Since we have experienced a medical emergency we want to be sure we are covered for the entire trip not just when we are in Cuba.

+1 For access to the Cuban health system only.

On another note I have see documents we need to complete depicting why we are visiting how do we determine which we should identify?

Fill in People to People and you'll be fine. (I'm assuming you are not part of a sports team, participating in a professional conference, visiting relatives, working as a photojournalist/journalist, representing the US government, or engaged in humanitarian projects.) The one answer you CANNOT write is "tourism."

Will we need to book shore excursions with ship or can we tour on our own?

Only Oceania will be able to tell you the terms of its agreement with the Cuban government. On my land trip, I was required to participate in the day time People to People excursions, but at night I was free to go independently to any restaurant I chose and to participate in any night life that appealed.

Also I think I saw a post that says we need a yellow fever vaccine but I have not seen any information on that as well.

You question suggests you misread post #143. The yellow fever vaccine is not required for travel to Cuba.

It covers access to Cuban health care system. That's why it's mandatory.

You will not be permitted to tour in your own

Your ta should have this information or can get for you from Oceania

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Per the FAQs section of Oceania's website:

Oceania Cruises will offer a variety of shore excursions in Havana. Guests are not required to participate in these excursions and are free to move about Cuba as long as their activities comply with the general license they are travelling under. Entry to some government buildings may be restricted; it's best to ask your guide about the building’s specific entry protocol before trying to enter on your own.

What is the cost of the extra special Cuba only health insurance?

Not sure what the "cost" is but I just paid Oceania US$125 per person for the "required" health insurance and travel card re Cuba. It was either pay Oceania or I wouldn't be allowed to board the ship. No other options.

Not sure what the "cost" is but I just paid Oceania US$125 per person for the "required" health insurance and travel card re Cuba. It was either pay Oceania or I wouldn't be allowed to board the ship. No other options.

Was there a reason you paid for this so early, Gogie? (just asking)

I will be posting this on the other Cuba thread to update it (as I went on & on about the visa.)

I see today that O is charging $75 for tem to obtain the tourist card. No mention of the insurance.

It would be great to have a single Cuba thread

All these "extras" are generally factored into the cost when you book a package trip to Cuba. Because Cuba was added o had to add these costs. I think those who booked these itineraries are lucky. Cuba is a fascinating place

We are booked on Caribbean gems dec 2017. My wife is hoping Cuba ports will be added so she can go back

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was there a reason you paid for this so early, Gogie? (just asking)

I will be posting this on the other Cuba thread to update it (as I went on & on about the visa.)

I see today that O is charging $75 for tem to obtain the tourist card. No mention of the insurance.

It wasn't a case of paying early. We're on the March 7 sailing on Marina, which is past the final payment date. We had to make a separate payment this week to cover the "additional" charges resulting from the change in itinerary after final payment was due.

Was this amount added to your final payment amount?

I would question them as they posted the insurance was now included

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Is medical insurance required?

All travelers to Cuba must show proof of Cuba approved medical insurance. This medical insurance will be included in the price of your cruise fare.

It wasn't a case of paying early. We're on the March 7 sailing on Marina, which is past the final payment date. We had to make a separate payment this week to cover the "additional" charges resulting from the change in itinerary after final payment was due.

Aha, we are not yet at Final so that did not occur to me. So all done and set to go. You are the forerunners for the rest of us on O. Enjoy the cruise!

I would question them as they posted the insurance was now included

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Is medical insurance required?

All travelers to Cuba must show proof of Cuba approved medical insurance. This medical insurance will be included in the price of your cruise fare.

They have now refunded the insurance part of the additional payment ($50 pp) so net I've paid $75 pp for the Cuban travel card.

• 1 month later...

I believe someone answered your questions in another thread a few days ago. There was also a link to Ron's video that showed the colorful sites of Old Havana. Enjoy your planning!

Hello,

Are restaurants and shops within walking distance from the pier in Havana? Is it safe to walk on your own?

Posted February 9th, 2017, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by eyekos

Hi Ron,

We are scheduled to stop in Havana for a day on our Oceania cruise in March. Since you have been there, can you tell me if the Old Havana is within walking distance from the pier? Are there restaurants, shops and crafts available within walking distance as well? We really hate tours! Thanks,

Alexandra

Yes, and yes.

Hello,

Are restaurants and shops within walking distance from the pier in Havana? Is it safe to walk on your own?

If you'll be docked at the historic port of Old Havana, the answer is "yes" and "yes." If you'll be docked elsewhere, only question two is a definite "yes."

Don't expect to find lots of shops or crafts in Cuba. There is very little to buy.

I'm guessing you didn't visit Almacenes San Jose in Havana, a huge crafts market in a warehouse district along the Malecon. This place will take visitors hours to cover, although you'll be tempted to give up part way since many of the vendors appear to carry the same merchandise. Tucked in each stall is something unique even if 98% of the stuff is duplicated. Notes: The prices for the same merchandise vary considerably stall to stall. Definitely bring cash.

There are other excellent craft destinations in throughout the country, but Oceania may not be calling at those ports. My favorite was Cienfuegos; this city has a huge central square surrounded by well-preserved Spanish colonial buildings and parking spaces occupied by dozens of 50s cars. Great photo opportunities. As for crafts, there are small kiosks on the street and a large craft center with wonderful embroidered children's clothing, art, and canvas totes silk screened with pictures of the beautiful buildings.

Less likely for an Oceania cruiser is a visit inland to Trinidad to either the Hacienda Manaca Iznaca or a sugar cane train ride. On the walk up the hill to the hacienda, the route is lined with crafts people selling really attractive things.

Many cruisers will consider the rum and cigars to be the best souvenirs of all. The current customs allowances for Cuba are up to 100 cigars. (I've seen this written as "unlimited" cigars, but I the actual limit is 100.)The limit on rum from Cuba is the same as the allowances from any other country. These new limits represent quite a change from the previous limit of a total of $100 worth of rum and/or cigars.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

If you'll be docked at the historic port of Old Havana, the answer is "yes" and "yes." If you'll be docked elsewhere, only question two is a definite "yes."

Since O has walking tours that start at the ship, it sounds like we will be docked at the historic port.

I'm guessing you didn't visit Almacenes San Jose in Havana, a huge crafts market in a warehouse district along the Malecon. This place will take visitors hours to cover, although you'll be tempted to give up part way since many of the vendors appear to carry the same merchandise. Tucked in each stall is something unique even if 98% of the stuff is duplicated. Notes: The prices for the same merchandise vary considerably stall to stall. Definitely bring cash.

There are other excellent craft destinations in throughout the country, but Oceania may not be calling at those ports. My favorite was Cienfuegos; this city has a huge central square surrounded by well-preserved Spanish colonial buildings and parking spaces occupied by dozens of 50s cars. Great photo opportunities. As for crafts, there are small kiosks on the street and a large craft center with wonderful embroidered children's clothing, art, and canvas totes silk screened with pictures of the beautiful buildings.

Less likely for an Oceania cruiser is a visit inland to Trinidad to either the Hacienda Manaca Iznaca or a sugar cane train ride. On the walk up the hill to the hacienda, the route is lined with crafts people selling really attractive things.

Many cruisers will consider the rum and cigars to be the best souvenirs of all. The current customs allowances for Cuba are up to 100 cigars. (I've seen this written as "unlimited" cigars, but I the actual limit is 100.)The limit on rum from Cuba is the same as the allowances from any other country. These new limits represent quite a change from the previous limit of a total of $100 worth of rum and/or cigars.

Thank you so much for this information. For now, Oceania is only stopping in Havana. It is so helpful to read the various perspectives of travelers who have been to the same places and have completely different opinions. We plan on bringing back "some" rum. ;)