'Twas the Week Before Christmas - Live from the Eurodam

POA1

The bill.. what charges were counted as shipboard "spending" for mariner status? Thank you!! working on my next star..

Your daily service charge (HSC), your excursions, specialty dining, minibar, regular sized bar, gift shop purchases, and photos. It's pretty much anything besides gambling. (Please correct me if I missed any excluded items.)

If you receive items as part of a promotion, like we did with the Explore 4, those dollar values won't count.

Suite guests - Signature, Neptune & Pinnacle - get double cruise days and your spending days are capped based on your cruise length. Spending days, where $300 = 1 day, are for the first two guests in a cabin, based on combined spend.

For our cruise, we got 7 days for the cruise, 7 days for the suite bonus, and 7 days for spending. In our experience, they round up on spending days. If you spent $369, for example, you'd get 2 days.

Edited by POA1

Older ships with Vista Suites also qualify for double cruise days, at least they did when I sailed on the Maasdam Oct, Nov and Dec 2014

You are correct. My mistake. The S & R class ships, as well as the Prinsendam have Vista suites and they do get double days.

Thanks for the correction!

Rest assured that we're alright. Our Internet connection isn't cooperating, especially in the room. I tried to load a CruiseCritic thread. I gave up after 14 minutes without the page loading. At the retail price of 75 cents per minute, that's over $10. We love you guys, but posting from the room is a little too rich for my blood.

It's too bad HAL hasn't shown a commitment to upgrade their internet service on board the ships. I had a chance to replace another passenger on an Eurodam cruise this March for very low cost, but had to pass on the offer because my current work requires access to the company VPN in case something comes up with a project I'm involved with. Did you get any hints from the crew on the timing of connection upgrades?

On a more positive note, thank you for taking the substantial time and effort to write such a detailed review and uploading all the reference materials. I deeply enjoyed the postings and for the past few weeks made it a daily ritual to check out your updates. :)

You are correct. My mistake. The S & R class ships, as well as the Prinsendam have Vista suites and they do get double days.

Thanks for the correction!

Question: Did you happen to notice if they had a liquor "Hypnotic" on board?

Here's a picture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hpnotiq

We use it to make a Caribbean Martini.

Hypnotiq

Coconut Rum

Pineapple Juice.

Edited by RocketMan275

It's too bad HAL hasn't shown a commitment to upgrade their internet service on board the ships. I had a chance to replace another passenger on an Eurodam cruise this March for very low cost, but had to pass on the offer because my current work requires access to the company VPN in case something comes up with a project I'm involved with. Did you get any hints from the crew on the timing of connection upgrades?

On a more positive note, thank you for taking the substantial time and effort to write such a detailed review and uploading all the reference materials. I deeply enjoyed the postings and for the past few weeks made it a daily ritual to check out your updates. :)

We only cruise occasionally, but my Eurodam Internet experience is an outlier. Two years ago, we had smoking hot cruise ship Internet on the Nieuw Amsterdam. This happened to be the slowest connectivity I've experienced in a long time.

If I were reliant on fast connection speeds and needed a stable VPN, I would never try to work from a ship. That's just me.

I'm not sure if the De Librije / Le Cirque follows the menu Set A/B exactly. There are a few 21 day itineraries that might throw things off. They're being sold as Tropical Caribbean, I think.

No, Tropical Caribbean is the 3rd of the 7 day itineraries but they don't do it all the time. That's the one that I'm on. For my cruise, they're offering the one before mine and mine as both 14 and 21 day itineraries.

It will be interesting (to me, at least) to see which set WeLoveCruising has. It should be A based on alternating weeks, but he has Le Cirque. And my cruise, which should have B menus, has De Librije (same as you).

Edited by MisterBill99

The old piano bar was almost always equipped with a drunk. (No disrespect if you are that person, but there always seemed to be one person, seated at the piano, on what I'll euphemistally call "overload.") The new venue, being more spacious, can accommodate a whole choir of the inebriated. We had not one, not two, but THREE sets of "Woo Girls." If you're like us and consider people watching to be a sport, you're going to like the new piano bar. If you are a Woo Girl, you're going to LOVE Billboard Onboard.

For the uninitiated, a Woo Girl is a woman who likes to yell, "Woooooo!" at the top of her lungs during performances. Or at a bar. Possibly also at random public events and special occasions. (Although probably not at religious services.) When a Woo Girl is "Woooo!-ing," she will often raise a fist in the air (fist pump.) If a Woo Girl is in full plumage, she will raise both her hands in the air (like she just don't care, of course.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been in the closet toooooo long.....and I have to be honest

I have a confession. I am a WOOHOO girl ( not to be confused with a Woo girl. )

A WOOHOO girl, on occasion will give out a yell when circumstances call for it.

At a All Male "Revue"? ( code word male strippers ) and you see a Brad Pitt look alike? WOOHOO!!!!!!

Booking a cruise on HAL? Yup, that gets a WOOHOO!!! Scoring a free drink package on HAL? That is a double WOOHOO! WOOHOO WOOHOO!

Texans losing to the Patriots, even when you hate the Patriots. WOOHOOO

Now on HAL my WOOHOOs are softer than my Carnival WOOHOOs...because it is HAL after all. A true WOOHOO gal will know when to adjust to their surroundings. And to be quite honest there are less WOOHOO moments on HAL than Carnival. NO hairy chest competitions, no flashing of mammary glands, no Hasbro Game Shows.

A true WOOHOO gal will also use her WOOHOOs as a way to be sarcastic. Used SOFTLY and with a proper eye roll and add a quick shake of the head (left to right several times) it is quite effective.

Come across someone quite in love with themselves? Giving a soft nudge to my companion as I say " WOOHOO, What's a Kardashian doing in Indiana"?

Getting seated in a restaurant by the bathroom? WOOO HOOO, Perfect in case my IBS kicks in.

Finding out that you just missed your favorite Colts Football player at work because you went to T.J Maxx and lost track of time? WOOHOO, I really think he is over rated anyway.

From Denise

A WOOOHOOOO gal, and proud of it.

..: If you're like us and consider people watching to be a sport, you're going to like the new piano bar ...

For the uninitiated, a Woo Girl is a woman who likes to yell, "Woooooo!" at the top of her lungs during performances. Or at a bar. Possibly also at random public events and special occasions. (Although probably not at religious services.) When a Woo Girl is "Woooo!-ing," she will often raise a fist in the air (fist pump.) If a Woo Girl is in full plumage, she will raise both her hands in the air (like she just don't care, of course.)

I've been in the closet toooooo long.....and I have to be honest

I have a confession. I am a WOOHOO girl ( not to be confused with a Woo girl. )

A WOOHOO girl, on occasion will give out a yell when circumstances call for it.

At a All Male "Revue"? ( code word male strippers ) and you see a Brad Pitt look alike? WOOHOO!!!!!!

Booking a cruise on HAL? Yup, that gets a WOOHOO!!! Scoring a free drink package on HAL? That is a double WOOHOO! WOOHOO WOOHOO!

Texans losing to the Patriots, even when you hate the Patriots. WOOHOOO

Now on HAL my WOOHOOs are softer than my Carnival WOOHOOs...because it is HAL after all. A true WOOHOO gal will know when to adjust to their surroundings. And to be quite honest there are less WOOHOO moments on HAL than Carnival. NO hairy chest competitions, no flashing of mammary glands, no Hasbro Game Shows.

A true WOOHOO gal will also use her WOOHOOs as a way to be sarcastic. Used SOFTLY and with a proper eye roll and add a quick shake of the head (left to right several times) it is quite effective.

Come across someone quite in love with themselves? Giving a soft nudge to my companion as I say " WOOHOO, What's a Kardashian doing in Indiana"?

Getting seated in a restaurant by the bathroom? WOOO HOOO, Perfect in case my IBS kicks in.

Finding out that you just missed your favorite Colts Football player at work because you went to T.J Maxx and lost track of time? WOOHOO, I really think he is over rated anyway.

From Denise

A WOOOHOOOO gal, and proud of it.

IndyDenise, you go girl. [emoji106]🏻

Voted the BEST post on CC / HAL. Hilarious !!!

Edited by Dogstar

Thanks for the great review, POA1!

HAL is going to have to start paying a commission to Poohby Joe. Before reading "Poohby Joe's Guide to Cabana Living" booking a cabana had never occured to me, but now I have one reserved for our upcoming Zuiderdam cruise. I think it will be wonderful for all our sea days and even on the Panama Canal day. I'm especially looking forward to the chocolate-covered strawberries! ;)

When I called Ship Services, they didn't give me any information on choosing a specific location, and it wasn't indicated on the e-mail confirmation I received. Do they assign a location, or do we just pick a cabana when we first arrive? I think we would prefer one of the side cabanas - less wind and an ocean view - but am a little worried that it will get hot and stuffy without any air circulation. Can someone who has used one of the side cabanas comment on this?

Thanks for the great review and info! This will be our first HAL cruise in a while (last was 2011 on the Zuiderdam for our honeymoon) and we are really looking forward to it! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad you enjoyed it. Have a wonderful cruise!

HAL is going to have to start paying a commission to Poohby Joe. Before reading "Poohby Joe's Guide to Cabana Living" booking a cabana had never occured to me, but now I have one reserved for our upcoming Zuiderdam cruise. I think it will be wonderful for all our sea days and even on the Panama Canal day. I'm especially looking forward to the chocolate-covered strawberries! ;)

When I called Ship Services, they didn't give me any information on choosing a specific location, and it wasn't indicated on the e-mail confirmation I received. Do they assign a location, or do we just pick a cabana when we first arrive? I think we would prefer one of the side cabanas - less wind and an ocean view - but am a little worried that it will get hot and stuffy without any air circulation. Can someone who has used one of the side cabanas comment on this?

For the most part, the side cabanas aren't stuffy, but there is less flow through ventilation. On windy days though, the rear cabanas like we had can get very windy. (Causing an unfortunate champagne flute accident when they blew off the table. Our attendants cleaned up the glass right away, but it was a good thing I had my boat shoes on and could go and fetch the cabana stewards. DW had left her flip flops out by one of the chairs in the common area and couldn't really walk anywhere because of the glass shards. We picked up the big pieces, but a broom and dustpan combo from the cabana guys was needed to get the smaller stuff.)

To put in a request, just call ship's services and ask for the email address of your ship's coordinator. That's all. Don't ask ship's services for anything else. Then, email the coordinator with your name, booking #, cabin # and sailing dates --- And your preferred cabanas. I only made up a diagram for the Eurodam/Niuew Amsterdam, but let me see if I can make one for the Noordam & Zuiderdam for you.

Edited by POA1

:isa -

Here's your map. It applies to both the Noordam and the Zuiderdam.

cabana-map-vista.jpg

If the Zuiderdam is anything like the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, the inside corner cabanas, Corsica & Monte Carlo, will be used by the staff for staging, with Corsica being the primary work area. I would think that your best best would be the cabanas closer to the two family cabanas in the corners if you wanted maximum air circulation: Malaga & Santorini. However, if you are want to be a little farther away from the two family cabanas, you might want the next two back: Rhodes & Marbella.

The cabanas on the starboard side are closer to to the stairs that comes up from the deck below. There is a sign that says "Private: Retreat Cabana Guests Only" on the gate at the top of the stairs. Most people will respect it, but some won't. Demand that they pay you $5 for passage. ;)

Hope that helps!

Edited by POA1

This was, by far, the most detailed and enjoyable review I've ever read on CC. I sincerely appreciate your significant efforts. You've also made me eager to try HAL, and the Eurodam in particular, after having cruised Carnival, Princess, & Celebrity. You're a gifted writer. Thanks so much!

This was, by far, the most detailed and enjoyable review I've ever read on CC. I sincerely appreciate your significant efforts. You've also made me eager to try HAL, and the Eurodam in particular, after having cruised Carnival, Princess, & Celebrity. You're a gifted writer. Thanks so much!

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the compliments.

• 4 months later...

Back to the Retreat Cabanas on the Eurodam (forgive me if I missed this):

What location/cabana do you prefer? I trust you implicitly and would pretty much follow any advice you offered in regards to HAL cruising. I'm seriously considering booking in the Retreat but just can't figure out which cabana is better, if any.

Back to the Retreat Cabanas on the Eurodam (forgive me if I missed this):

What location/cabana do you prefer? I trust you implicitly and would pretty much follow any advice you offered in regards to HAL cruising. I'm seriously considering booking in the Retreat but just can't figure out which cabana is better, if any.

We prefer the retreat cabanas along the back railing, overlooking the lido pool roof. They've got more air flow, which we like.

Our preferences are the ones that aren't up against the stairway that leads up from the deck below. On the Eurodam, that's Portofino & Sorrento. We had one next to the stairs on the Nieuw Amsterdam and it wasn't a big deal.

I'd avoid Amalfi & Sochi because they're a little too sheltered for our tastes. However, the staff usually uses Sochi for staging, so it's probably not in the mix.

retreat-cabana-map.jpg

We got the email for the ship's coordinator and sent off a request for our top 3 picks a few weeks before the cruise. We wound up with our first choice. It's possible that your #1 selection won't be available if someone is doing a 14 day sailing the week before you, so that's why we try to have a few choices.

retreat-cabana-map.jpg

We prefer the retreat cabanas along the back railing, overlooking the lido pool roof. They've got more air flow, which we like.

Our preferences are the ones that aren't up against the stairway that leads up from the deck below. On the Eurodam, that's Portofino & Sorrento. We had one next to the stairs on the Nieuw Amsterdam and it wasn't a big deal.

I'd avoid Amalfi & Sochi because they're a little too sheltered for our tastes. However, the staff usually uses Sochi for staging, so it's probably not in the mix.

retreat-cabana-map.jpg

We got the email for the ship's coordinator and sent off a request for our top 3 picks a few weeks before the cruise. We wound up with our first choice. It's possible that your #1 selection won't be available if someone is doing a 14 day sailing the week before you, so that's why we try to have a few choices.

retreat-cabana-map.jpg

Wow, such an informed reply! Thanks much. You're the best!