'Twas the Week Before Christmas - Live from the Eurodam

POA1

The new (at least to us) system of wine stewards and "wine runners" has really improved the efficiency of the wine ordering/delivery process.

Ah, that prompts a related question---

Who do you order a cocktail from now, if doing so at the dinner table? It had been the wine steward, then the table steward, and now ...?

Thanks. (sometimes a girl just needs a little more liquor ;) )

Ah, that prompts a related question---

Who do you order a cocktail from now, if doing so at the dinner table? It had been the wine steward, then the table steward, and now ...?

Thanks. (sometimes a girl just needs a little more liquor ;) )

I'm thinking wine steward because they take the cordial orders. However, I don't know for certain because we went right from the drink we brought with us (Walktail) to wine.

Throwing it out to the peanut gallery: If you've ordered a cocktail at the table recently, from whom did you order?

I started this post last night, but then I had to head out for jury duty. This is a little out of order and should have come before the entertainment posts.

Rooms & Accommodations:

We thought that the new room designs were well though out and well done. IMO, they have a more modern sensibility with muted earth tones. The bathrooms, in particular, are much nicer. While HAL's bathrooms always had a very efficient, IKEA vibe, the Eurodam's remodeled facilities are a cut above. They're really, really nice. They've even solved the problem of the leaking shower curtain that we've had in Neptune Suites on the Vista Class ships. (I think the lip of the shower tray is taller.)

(How great would it have been if I remembered to take photos? I thought that I'd be able to point you to a vast photo library on the web. Sadly, most of the photos I can find are pre-retrofit.)

The VA rooms, like DFIL had, definitely feel more spacious. There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of difference in the configuration, but on the whole, the room gives the sense of "more." Size difference isn't as noticeable in the suites. They're still spacious and all, but the verandah rooms seem to have gained more noticeably.

A lot has been made of the fact that the new flat screens are all mounted above the sofa. While I get that some people like to lie on the sofa and watch TV, I also understand that we're on a ship. If you cannot bear to have to watch a wall mounted television from the bed, book the Pinnacle Suite. You can sit in your room's chairs to watch television or you can prop yourself up on the bed. There are ample pillows - probably enough to make a fort. Speaking of pillows... We'd love a soft option. It's not that the pillows are hard. They aren't. We're just used to goose down which is softer. And in my case, my pillow at home is so well broken in that DW always wants to know if it's time to replace it. (It's a sad, flat, little pillow, but I love it.)

The sheets are of high quality, so no complaints nor concerns there. The duvet proved to be the right thickness for us. You mileage might vary depending on your preferred sleeping temperature. You can always add blankets. I'm also pleased to announce that after a quarter of a century of wedded bliss, we seem to have reached "total bed cover equilibrium." Couples typically achieve equilibrium at home, where no one's hogging the covers while the other person freezes. It's trickier when traveling though. New beds. New covers. New sheets and pillows. However, it looks like we made it. It seems that this occasion should call for cake. Probably chocolate with a buttercream icing.

Thanks for the review of the NS. We will be in one in March. Were you on deck 6 or 7?

Also, did they tell you that they did not have down pillows? I thought I read somewhere in here that they did. That is a must for me also.

Thanks.

Thanks for the review of the NS. We will be in one in March. Were you on deck 6 or 7?

Also, did they tell you that they did not have down pillows? I thought I read somewhere in here that they did. That is a must for me also.

Thanks.

To be fair, I didn't ask for down pillows; so that might be on me. We prefer to be as close as possible to the Neptune Lounge. Typically that's deck 7.

Once upon a time, probably 2004 or so, they had a "pillow concierge." It was overkill, particularly for me who likes one small, sad, flat pillow. I will remember to ask for a feather pillow next time. In 2018 or thereabouts.

Any changes to the NL with the remodel?

It was our first time on the Eurodam, so I don't know. We're going to have to cruise more than once every other year or we'll never keep up!

To be fair, I didn't ask for down pillows; so that might be on me. We prefer to be as close as possible to the Neptune Lounge. Typically that's deck 7.

Once upon a time, probably 2004 or so, they had a "pillow concierge." It was overkill, particularly for me who likes one small, sad, flat pillow. I will remember to ask for a feather pillow next time. In 2018 or thereabouts.

Thanks. I did see on the perks list for the suites they say there is a pillow menu for hard, medium or soft pillows. I just assumed the soft ones would be feather or down but who knows. Maybe someone else will weigh in?

I'm like POA1. My expensive goose down pillow is not a sad flat one. I bought a new one one but it's not flat enough yet. I don't want to be disappointed by any pillow menu so I pack my sad flat pillow in a "suck the air out" thingamajiggy and take it on every cruise:D

I'm like POA1. My expensive goose down pillow is not a sad flat one. I bought a new one one but it's not flat enough yet. I don't want to be disappointed by any pillow menu so I pack my sad flat pillow in a "suck the air out" thingamajiggy and take it on every cruise:D

We've had some pretty flat goose down pillows on Celebrity and RC. In fact, one of the best pillows I had was on Celebrity a few years back so I looked up the name on the label and tried to find one but never could. Guess because they buy in bulk from somewhere.

We've had some pretty flat goose down pillows on Celebrity and RC. In fact, one of the best pillows I had was on Celebrity a few years back so I looked up the name on the label and tried to find one but never could. Guess because they buy in bulk from somewhere.

Mine is a Lajord by St Geneve if you are interested. I got a soft one first time and it's my favourite. My newer one is a medium and it's not soft enough yet:(

The last ones we bought were from LL Bean - also in Freeport, Maine and we absolutely love them. You and crusingexpert might like those in the soft version. I have medium and it is soft but not totally flat. We went to the flagship store on a cruise and tried out all three and found the soft one totally flat!

Quite a few of the big hotel chains buy pillows from Downlite. Also, if you stay at hotel and really like the pillows, do a search of "hotel name store"; chances are you will find the online store for the brand and they will have the pillow. I buy my Westin down pillow from the online store when they have sales.

Throwing it out to the peanut gallery: If you've ordered a cocktail at the table recently, from whom did you order?

Appreciated. Hopefully, someone will have the correct answer. If not, I will just have to find out on my own next cruise. I am certain the opportunity will come up. ;)

Appreciated. Hopefully, someone will have the correct answer. If not, I will just have to find out on my own next cruise. I am certain the opportunity will come up. ;)

I feel like we let you down. At no point in the cruise did we blow through all 15 of our daily SBP+ drinks, yet somehow we failed to get this basic information.

I will tell you that the wine steward was responsible for after dinner drinks and he did bring cordials, port and Cognac. I'd feel 80% confident that the answer would be "wine steward." The problem isn't that I was drinking. I just wasn't drinking enough.

I feel like we let you down. At no point in the cruise did we blow through all 15 of our daily SBP+ drinks, yet somehow we failed to get this basic information.

I will tell you that the wine steward was responsible for after dinner drinks and he did bring cordials, port and Cognac. I'd feel 80% confident that the answer would be "wine steward." The problem isn't that I was drinking. I just wasn't drinking enough.

Ah, yes. Science may never sleep, but there are times a researcher must. Thank goodness there are more who will pick up the fallen staff.

I shall not fail in my quest!

Ah, yes. Science may never sleep, but there are times a researcher must. Thank goodness there are more who will pick up the fallen staff.

I shall not fail in my quest!

Press on! :D

Specialty Dining

We had the opportunity to dine at the Pinnacle Grill twice (three times if you count our caviar snack.) We did both De Librije Night and the regular Pinnacle Grill menu. We enjoyed both. DW prefers Le Cirque to De Librije, while I tend to favor the latter. I don't think you'll go wrong with either, but *DO* read the menus beforehand. If the dishes aren't to your liking on paper, don't force yourself to have dinner on the "special" specialty night.

In our opinion, HAL's surcharge goes straight to the plate, which is a good thing. (In other words, the added cost makes for better ingredients.) However, if you are cruising on a budget, you'll do fine in the MDR.

We did not get to dine in Tamarind. From the second hand reports we received it sounds like it was as good as usual.

Specialty Dining

We had the opportunity to dine at the Pinnacle Grill twice (three times if you count our caviar snack.) We did both De Librije Night and the regular Pinnacle Grill menu. We enjoyed both. DW prefers Le Cirque to De Librije, while I tend to favor the latter. I don't think you'll go wrong with either, but *DO* read the menus beforehand. If the dishes aren't to your liking on paper, don't force yourself to have dinner on the "special" specialty night.

In our opinion, HAL's surcharge goes straight to the plate, which is a good thing. (In other words, the added cost makes for better ingredients.) However, if you are cruising on a budget, you'll do fine in the MDR.

We did not get to dine in Tamarind. From the second hand reports we received it sounds like it was as good as usual.

Sorry but how much are the speciality restaurant ?

Thanks

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry but how much are the speciality restaurant ?

Thanks

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Pinnacle Grill is $35. Tamarind is $25. Canaletto is $15. De Librije is $69 and includes wine. Le Cirque is $49. The latter two dinners are held in the Pinnacle Grill.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, I thoroughly enjoy your writing style and humor.

We're sailing on the Eurodam in a week, and are very excited!

I have a quick question on the specialty dining. I usually book our PG reservations online, and we're booked for Le Cirque. I dont see the De Librije as an option to book ahead. I'm wondering if it's not offered on every sailing, or if it's something we book onboard?

Thanks!

18eadd98f6b1d271ef5a0823de9936bf.jpg

Activities

We're probably the last people from whom you should get advice about activities on a cruise. Especially when we only have seven days. Our number one activity is relaxing.

If you scroll back through this thread and look at the daily programs, you can get a pretty good idea of what was offered each day. The Culinary Arts programs looked to be well attended and people seemed generally pleased. There were a fair number of people in the digital workshops whenever I passed by.

I was shocked and saddened when, flipping through the dailies after we got home, to find that napkin folding was offered. I can't believe that I missed it. My DSIL and I have had a running joke about our desire to learn napkin folding since we first cruised together in 2003. I haven't seen napkin folding on the schedule in over a decade. I had given up hope. And now I missed my opportunity. You'd think that I might read the daily programs instead of just scanning them and posting them for you guys.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, I thoroughly enjoy your writing style and humor.

We're sailing on the Eurodam in a week, and are very excited!

I have a quick question on the specialty dining. I usually book our PG reservations online, and we're booked for Le Cirque. I dont see the De Librije as an option to book ahead. I'm wondering if it's not offered on every sailing, or if it's something we book onboard?

Thanks!

You're very welcome. I believe that they alternate between Le Cirque and De Librije. If you are on for two weeks, you'd be able to do both. If you are on one week, you just get one.

My Jury Duty

Went downtown. Jacksonville, Florida. Traffic, traffic, traffic. Finally found parking space in Court House parking lot. Expensive, expensive, expensive.

Went to court. Defendant was well dressed young man. Sat up straight. Rather nice looking.

Answered the questions. Was asked about my opinion on Dope. I honestly said that I had never had an issue that a Chocolate bar could not help, but I did not drink, nor had I ever taken drugs. But I did understand addiction as I considered myself addicted to Sweets.

I just Knew I was on my way home soon, that I would not be judging anyone..

( I was very honest. I still feel exactly the same way. I keep small candies in the fridge. like Halloween pumpkins they sell at Walgreens. Or small hearts they sell at Valentines. Little Santas at Christmas.One a day. Seems to be my 'fix".) I am not skinny. I am not huge.

STUNNINGLY .............I WAS PICKED TO BE ON THE JURY. I almost fainted.

THEN the judge called the Prosecutor and the Defense Attorney to the Bar and they came back and dismissed the Jury. Agreed on a Plea deal.

THEN WE were told.........that nice looking young man had been arrested over 50 times...I should say CHARGED with dealing Narcotics over fifty times, and he was looking at a long time at Raeford if we convicted. So he took a plea bargain. Not many years. SAVED the city of cost of trial.

Actually, It was very interesting. It was a day out of my life. I did receive $20 bucks ( check) to pay for my parking and gasoline. I learned......give anyone a shower. A clean, well fitting suit, a tie, short haircut..............Looking respectable.....goes a long way.

ALSO....Take a paperback. Or Kindle. Periods of sitting and waiting. Sit on first or last seat in row. ( RR Easy to get too. don't want to crawl over people)

Edited by AmberTeka