BA Cabin Crew Strikes

thebooler

If you booked air through NCL, they are responsible for getting you to the ship. If you booked through NCL and they can't get you there you would likely give you a 100% refund. If you booked your own air you are responsible for getting there. You would not get refund if you can't get there in that situation.

Anybody able to tell us what happens if our flight gets cancelled, or looks likes being cancelled, from London Heathrow to Miami to cruise on Getaway 2nd January? Would NCL refund? ATOL? BA? Would NCL switch us to another airline? All very confusing.

What does NCL say?

Anybody able to tell us what happens if our flight gets cancelled, or looks likes being cancelled, from London Heathrow to Miami to cruise on Getaway 2nd January?

Would NCL refund? ATOL? BA? Would NCL switch us to another airline?

All very confusing.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

It took me a while to figure out you meant British Airways when you wrote BA. At first I thought the Breakaway crew was on strike and I was astonished!

It took me a while to figure out you meant British Airways when you wrote BA. At first I thought the Breakaway crew was on strike and I was astonished!

That is exactly what I thought. I couldn't figure out what the title had to do with the question.

I would highly suggest buying travel insurance that covers such a possibility.

Would have advised too but I guess it's too late for the OP. The flight is on Jan 2 already. The OP also seem to be relying on NCL, so I guess the flight was booked with NCL.

That would not give any cover in this situation as the possibility of making a claim was known at the time the insurance was purchased.

That is 100% correct. Be classed as pre-existing 'material fact', though maybe insurance is already in place.

I think the best opportunity will be if NCL booked the flights as they have responsibility I would think plus they have several options.

BA are flight partners with AA & Iberia so should be OK ...though stress is not the greatest appetizer to any cruise meal!

Fingers crossed :D

BA as in British Airways - crews voted to strike against management on Christmas Day & Boxing Day in U.K. but from airline operations indicated that long haul flights will fly and not affected ... that's the info being released to the public.

If NCL Air is being used, let NCL deal with switching or booking alternate options as necessary. If on your own ... well, :eek: - cross your fingers & legs and check your existing credit card coverage, etc. (too late to purchase extra protection as those claims will likely be invalid & denied.)

Hello, Kayak and whatever favorite traveler's App online and from your desktop, tablet or notebook PC, or, that good old TA (travel agent/agency) Good luck & keep us posted and outcome, hopefully it will all worked out. Besides, the strike could always be called off if the labor issues are resolved (or, at least postponed until after the holidays ... one can wish & hope. ;)

For those suggesting travel insurance it is always a good idea, but the OP is sailing in two weeks, and is aware of the potential strike. You can't insure against something like that when you know about it.

Anybody able to tell us what happens if our flight gets cancelled, or looks likes being cancelled, from London Heathrow to Miami to cruise on Getaway 2nd January?

All very confusing.

We are in the process of booking an NCL cruise on the Escape and I'm learning the different cabin categories. We are booking a BA balcony and I thought your thread title meant that the BA Cabin Crew on the ship was striking on those cabins only.:eek:

LOL! Thanks for the chuckle this morning.:)

For those suggesting travel insurance it is always a good idea, but the OP is sailing in two weeks, and is aware of the potential strike. You can't insure against something like that when you know about it.

Even with travel insurance, there is a possibility that it won't be covered. We were stuck in California for 3 extra days when Superstorm Sandy hit & closed all of the NYC airports for 5 days. Our claim for the extra hotel expenses was denied because the entire airline was not shut down. So if BA is still flying even a single route, the insurance is no good.

All very confusing.

Are you booked Fly cruise? NCL can also offer (from Scotland Edinburgh or Glasgow) Miami flights with KLM - it you are booked fly cruise - talk to them - they will maybe look at changing some to KLM if there is a planned strike on your date of travel.

You will be protected.

Its UK not USA. ( We cannot travel without insurance and ours would cover such events) ,

KLM is a great option !

Edited by Blondie008

Not sure if this will help you but it is from a blog called "Head For Points" The guy who writes this is usually bang up to date with what is happening particularly with BA.

"Unite has announced the first two strike dates for British Airways mixed fleet cabin crew – Sunday 25 December and Monday 26 December 2016.

The current plan is to operate all long haul services. Services from Gatwick and London City will not be impacted at all.

The following short haul routes are at risk of cancellation on 25th and 26th:

Aberdeen

Bergen

Belfast City

Bilbao

Bologna

Basel

Budapest

Dusseldorf

Gibraltar

Gothenburg

Hannover

Hamburg

Helsinki

Kiev

Krakow

St Petersburg

Lisbon

Luxembourg

Manchester

Paris Orly

Oslo

Prague

Pisa

Stuttgart

Stavanger

Venice

Vienna

Warsaw

Zagreb

Passengers booked on these routes currently have the option of:

requesting a refund for their flight, or

transferring to another BA flight on a different day or

flying to another city within 300 miles not on the list above

BA will not move you to a different airline at this stage. That would only be an option when your flight is definitely cancelled."

Edited by mypleasure

Think outside the box & talk to whoever doing the possible re-routing or re-booking flights about indirect & hidden city pairs, go thru gateways & hubs in France, Germany & even Swiss first, if necessary, for finding flight connections into Miamai. Some of the more direct & 1-stop options might be filling up fast, epecially if those seats are being "seized" by the business travelers willing to pay a premium to fly ... after the holiday in getting back on the road for the new year.

For example, Air Canada: LHR-YVR-MIA instead of LHR-YYZ-MIA, much more time in the air & more layover time, not fun for the body from being jetlagged.

Check BA's alliance partner's airport maps for connections and look at what's possible, might have to have an agent do a creative routing to book & compute the fares, etc. Possibly fly polar via an airline's Asia gateway or hub airport ... long hours in the aluminum tin can isn't fun these days, of course.

Edited by mking8288

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies folks - and the laughs!

BRITISH AIRWAYS strikes called off. Panic over. I do have Insurance and it would cover such an event, but my main concern is actually getting the holiday - not a refund of my money.

Thanks again, and here's hoping you Breakawayers are okay!

Even with travel insurance, there is a possibility that it won't be covered. We were stuck in California for 3 extra days when Superstorm Sandy hit & closed all of the NYC airports for 5 days. Our claim for the extra hotel expenses was denied because the entire airline was not shut down. So if BA is still flying even a single route, the insurance is no good.

Which insurer were you using?

This sounds odd if there were no flights going where YOU needed to go (or even if there were, if there were no seats available).

Did you perhaps decline to take an unusual routing that could have gotten you there?

(Or if there is another carrier that did have seats available, perhaps?)

It simply makes no sense that if there is a single flight on Airline A going from, say, Tokyo to Sidney, but there are NO flights allowing travel from, say, LA to NYC, because NYC airports are *closed*, then the insurance won't cover it.

Something doesn't sound quite right.

Are there other details?

(We try our best to keep up with both good *and* bad of insurance, so we can do our best to avoid unexpected vut valid "gotchas".)

Thanks for all the replies folks - and the laughs!

BRITISH AIRWAYS strikes called off. Panic over. I do have Insurance and it would cover such an event, but my main concern is actually getting the holiday - not a refund of my money.

Thanks again, and here's hoping you Breakawayers are okay!

Good to know. Enjoy your holiday.