Ovation review

pearlsz

So it is the same as the other ships..

Inside cabin on the VOTS and it was the shampoo and the shower gel dispensers.

Junior Suite on the EOTS and it was the little bottles.

Either way, bringing your own shampoo and conditioner is what most people prefer.

Exactly. I don't get people wanting cheap hotel style 'one type fits all' shampoo/conditioner.

If I'm going to buy specific types of shampoo to suit my hair type whilst at home why would I change when on holiday when typically your hair is likely to be more under attack from the sea water, hot tub chlorine, air conditioning & more time in the sun? :rolleyes:

Mic - sorry, didn't notice any buzzers, but Grande and Chic are a deck below My time dining restaurants :)

Did you notice at what time of the night the my time queues seem longest? Was it during the peak dining times or even later after say 7.30pm?

I think also that's what his reference to complimentary continental breakfast is. All main dining venues have a full breakfast, but the suite lounge generally only has continental.

It depends which suite. We're in a Grand Loft on our upcoming trip on Ovation and Coastal Kitchen has an a-la-carte breakfast menu for some suites.

It depends which suite. We're in a Grand Loft on our upcoming trip on Ovation and Coastal Kitchen has an a-la-carte breakfast menu for some suites.

Yes, Coastal Kitchen is the suites only dining room, so falls under the other dining rooms with a hot breakfast. Was referring to the suites (Concierge) lounge though, which is different.

Yes, Coastal Kitchen is the suites only dining room, so falls under the other dining rooms with a hot breakfast. Was referring to the suites (Concierge) lounge though, which is different.

Ah, gotcha. I'm new to this whole cruising thing. Can you tell me whether this suites lounge is where we will have our evening cocktails? I wasn't sure whether they would be in Coastal Kitchen or whether they would be in a separate lounge?

Did you notice at what time of the night the my time queues seem longest? Was it during the peak dining times or even later after say 7.30pm?

Avalon007,

We dine early so can only comment on those times - 6pm looked awful but you would think it might get quieter as it gets later - not as many families with children?

Ah, gotcha. I'm new to this whole cruising thing. Can you tell me whether this suites lounge is where we will have our evening cocktails? I wasn't sure whether they would be in Coastal Kitchen or whether they would be in a separate lounge?

For those in a Grand Suite or above the Suites Lounge (Well Concierge Club) on Deck 12 Aft will be where the nightly cocktail hour (well 3.5hrs actually from 5pm to 8:30pm) is held. Bit out of the way but should have spectacular aft views.

Avalon007,

We dine early so can only comment on those times - 6pm looked awful but you would think it might get quieter as it gets later - not as many families with children?

Thanks.:)

6pm is always busy for My Time as it's peak time, so I expect it's likely to be much the same as most cruises with the later dining times when we normally turn up having low wait times.

Thanks.:)

6pm is always busy for My Time as it's peak time, so I expect it's likely to be much the same as most cruises with the later dining times when we normally turn up having low wait times.

Agreed. I prefer to be flexible with dining times and will adapt accordingly, one thing is for sure and that is I won't go hungry.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Did you happen to notice what time of the the night the My Time lines where most noticeable?

We have found on Voyager & other Royal ships that if we arrive closer to 8pm for dinner then we have no issues being seated - we also never insist on any table size & say we are happy to share a table. I have found if you make it easy for the staff they tend to seat you faster than those wanting a table for 2 or 4 etc.

But even if My Time is a wait I won't change to set dining, we never eat at the same time every night because we are usually in conversation with people we have met in the Diamond Lounge around the dinner times. Sometimes we have even totally missed dinner & even the windjammer because we lost track of time & ended up just grabbing a snack from the cafe! :D

We are on MTD at the moment, we never have to wait. One line for passengers who reserved a time and a separate line for those who just roll up. Sometimes we share,others times we don't.

As tangogulf posted, the cocktails are in the Concierge lounge, for suite guests. Although it's quite a walk, it's a very relaxing, private and peaceful venue as a result. Note that the lounge does offer limited snacks/meals at meal times i.e. the continental breakfast as already mentioned, and a small selection at dinner. The choices are usually of a higher quality though.

Coastal Kitchen only offers sit-down dining as a restaurant. You can order drinks there with your meal, but would need to pay for them separately (or if you have a drinks package, would be charged to that).

CK was my favourite 'main' dining venue on the ship though; I hope it may become yours. :-)

Edited by The_Big_M

I've noticed in all the recent film and video of Ovation that the exhaust from the smokestack is very very visible. More in fact than you notice for other ships. Very blue and very visible. Thought this newer ship had technology to limit pollutants emitted from fuel burn. Perhaps it's just me but it does stand out when I view.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've noticed in all the recent film and video of Ovation that the exhaust from the smokestack is very very visible. More in fact than you notice for other ships. Very blue and very visible. Thought this newer ship had technology to limit pollutants emitted from fuel burn. Perhaps it's just me but it does stand out when I view.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Perhaps they are using Volkswagen's technology.:p

As tangogulf posted, the cocktails are in the Concierge lounge, for suite guests. Although it's quite a walk, it's a very relaxing, private and peaceful venue as a result. Note that the lounge does offer limited snacks/meals at meal times i.e. the continental breakfast as already mentioned, and a small selection at dinner. The choices are usually of a higher quality though.

Coastal Kitchen only offers sit-down dining as a restaurant. You can order drinks there with your meal, but would need to pay for them separately (or if you have a drinks package, would be charged to that).

CK was my favourite 'main' dining venue on the ship though; I hope it may become yours. :-)

Thanks so much. With regard to drinks, our suite includes a drinks package covering alcohol. I'm really looking forward to CK and all the "specialty" restaurants.

Thanks so much. With regard to drinks, our suite includes a drinks package covering alcohol. I'm really looking forward to CK and all the "specialty" restaurants.

Hi Homerclese

Are you sailing soon ? Have you heard from your Genie as yet ?

Hi Homerclese

Are you sailing soon ? Have you heard from your Genie as yet ?

We're sailing on 9 January. We received the Genie survey a few weeks ago and my travel agent says we should hear from the Genie directly this coming week.

I'm looking forward to contact with the Genie because, while I've booked the free activities online, I haven't booked into any restaurants (and we only intend to eat in the specialty restaurants) as the RCI website doesn't recognise the room category and wants payment. When I queried this, the RCI rep told my TA not to worry with any bookings as they always have seats available for suite guests and the Genie has access to these for bookings but as there has been some inconsistency between the promise and the product, I'm not completely confident so would rather head this off before we board.

Looking forward to CK. Reviews have been quite good. Have booked dinner there for most nights.

We're sailing on 9 January. We received the Genie survey a few weeks ago and my travel agent says we should hear from the Genie directly this coming week.

I'm looking forward to contact with the Genie because, while I've booked the free activities online, I haven't booked into any restaurants (and we only intend to eat in the specialty restaurants) as the RCI website doesn't recognise the room category and wants payment. When I queried this, the RCI rep told my TA not to worry with any bookings as they always have seats available for suite guests and the Genie has access to these for bookings but as there has been some inconsistency between the promise and the product, I'm not completely confident so would rather head this off before we board.

Thanks. Reading some reviews from the US some were advising booking and paying for specialty restaurants pre cruise and the Genie would arrange a refund of the charges on board but that hardly seems an ideal way. As long as you are not having non star guests joining you I believe the Genies can arrange all the reservations.

Will be interested in your Genie experience.

Thanks. Reading some reviews from the US some were advising booking and paying for specialty restaurants pre cruise and the Genie would arrange a refund of the charges on board but that hardly seems an ideal way. As long as you are not having non star guests joining you I believe the Genies can arrange all the reservations.

Will be interested in your Genie experience.

Yes I read those reviews too and was concerned that we might miss out on restaurants unless I paid and then sought a refund later as others had posted. But it seemed silly to me as well and so I asked my travel agent to confirm and she has been assured by her RCI rep that this isn't necessary and the Genie can take care of it all on board as they have reserved tables at all of the restaurants.

This is our first ever cruise and so I've been trying to get as much information as I can find online as there hasn't been much communication from RCI and, as I said earlier, the promotional material is sometimes contradicted by the documentation. It seems that this is a relatively new program and so perhaps that explains some of the inconsistencies.