Ovation review

pearlsz

Yes I read those reviews too and was concerned that we might miss out on restaurants unless I paid and then sought a refund later as others had posted. But it seemed silly to me as well and so I asked my travel agent to confirm and she has been assured by her RCI rep that this isn't necessary and the Genie can take care of it all on board as they have reserved tables at all of the restaurants.

This is our first ever cruise and so I've been trying to get as much information as I can find online as there hasn't been much communication from RCI and, as I said earlier, the promotional material is sometimes contradicted by the documentation. It seems that this is a relatively new program and so perhaps that explains some of the inconsistencies.

I have been very anxious reading where some benefits seem to come and go but am hopeful the program has now settled down and seems to still offer the benefits advertised when I originally booked.

My biggest concern has been that I do not sail until February. Whilst all documentation says the program is for all Ovation Sydney departures the website still says programme is only availabile to 23/1/17. This was the original date Ovation was to return to Singapore / China before the Australian season was extended. RCI assures me this is just a website issue and the program remains applicable for the extended season but they have a reluctance to put that in writing.

Just hanging out to hear from the Genie and then I can relax.

Yes I read those reviews too and was concerned that we might miss out on restaurants unless I paid and then sought a refund later as others had posted. But it seemed silly to me as well and so I asked my travel agent to confirm and she has been assured by her RCI rep that this isn't necessary and the Genie can take care of it all on board as they have reserved tables at all of the restaurants.

This is our first ever cruise and so I've been trying to get as much information as I can find online as there hasn't been much communication from RCI and, as I said earlier, the promotional material is sometimes contradicted by the documentation. It seems that this is a relatively new program and so perhaps that explains some of the inconsistencies.

I can appreciate the discrepancies. However, they do treat their suite guests well onboard and I would be confident that you would be able to get bookings either through the genie in advance, or through the concierge or genie onboard (if not direct at the restaurant).

This is one case I agree the RCL onshore advice is correct. ;-)

My biggest concern has been that I do not sail until February. Whilst all documentation says the program is for all Ovation Sydney departures the website still says programme is only availabile to 23/1/17. This was the original date Ovation was to return to Singapore / China before the Australian season was extended. RCI assures me this is just a website issue and the program remains applicable for the extended season but they have a reluctance to put that in writing.

I can't see any reason or benefit for them to stick with the 23/1 date. i.e. there wouldn't be any rationale for them to discontinue them on the earlier date, and it would obviously create a lot of angst and dissatisfaction onboard.

While they do make changes for their benefit, keeping the cutoff date midseason doesn't make any sense, so I would expect your sailing to be fine. It's not something I'd let myself get concerned about.

I've noticed in all the recent film and video of Ovation that the exhaust from the smokestack is very very visible. More in fact than you notice for other ships. Very blue and very visible. Thought this newer ship had technology to limit pollutants emitted from fuel burn. Perhaps it's just me but it does stand out when I view.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Environmental officer on board the Ovation explained in great depth for 30 minutes about this. The pollutant is in fact steam which they go at great lengths to make it as clean as possible more so than any other ship. most ships don't have an environmental officer onboard, we were very impressed.

The Environmental officer on board the Ovation explained in great depth for 30 minutes about this. The pollutant is in fact steam which they go at great lengths to make it as clean as possible more so than any other ship. most ships don't have an environmental officer onboard, we were very impressed.

All the Royal, X and Princess ships have them. They do wonderful work on all aspects across the ship.:D

I can't see any reason or benefit for them to stick with the 23/1 date. i.e. there wouldn't be any rationale for them to discontinue them on the earlier date, and it would obviously create a lot of angst and dissatisfaction onboard.

While they do make changes for their benefit, keeping the cutoff date midseason doesn't make any sense, so I would expect your sailing to be fine. It's not something I'd let myself get concerned about.

I am not worried either but then written confirmation would be good.:D

Thanks I am sure you are right. I will assume all is good for now.

I'm sure (well not really) they are telling you correct info. The visuals though are quite the opposite. Looks bad. Perhaps they need to put more effort into their "eco friendly" status.

I'm sure (well not really) they are telling you correct info. The visuals though are quite the opposite. Looks bad. Perhaps they need to put more effort into their "eco friendly" status.

Perhaps they can have little leaflets explaining how pure the exhaust is.:p

It seems like everybody has been allocated My Time Dining. I'm going on the Tassie cruise next month. And I was told traditional dining was booked out and also have been allocated My Time Dining. So do you have any advice for not lining up for dinner? I have prebooked all my dinners but will not be happy if I still have to wait in a queue as I have kids with me. Especially on the nights I have a show to go afterwards. Was that a problem too? I have prebooked them but do we have to get in there early to avoid missing out? The whole thing sounds stressful! I want to relax not stress about everything!

It seems like everybody has been allocated My Time Dining. I'm going on the Tassie cruise next month. And I was told traditional dining was booked out and also have been allocated My Time Dining. So do you have any advice for not lining up for dinner? I have prebooked all my dinners but will not be happy if I still have to wait in a queue as I have kids with me. Especially on the nights I have a show to go afterwards. Was that a problem too? I have prebooked them but do we have to get in there early to avoid missing out? The whole thing sounds stressful! I want to relax not stress about everything!

Hi cristodan,

If you go to the Grande dining room when you board ( don't leave it till late) you then request traditional, the seating time (early or late) the table size and lock it in. They write this on your sea pass cards. A few days later we were able to have new cards printed with these details on them. Hope this helps - We are currently on Ovation and went Traditional early in the Grande. Magnificent :)

Edited by Porky55

Hi cristodan,

If you go to the Grande dining room when you board ( don't leave it till late) you then request traditional, the seating time (early or late) the table size and lock it in. They write this on your sea pass cards. A few days later we were able to have new cards printed with these details on them. Hope this helps - We are currently on Ovation and went Traditional early in the Grande. Magnificent :)

Thanks. It helps a lot. So much more civilised to go Traditional in The Grande !

Also is Jamie's Italian open for lunch?

Hi Homerclese

Are you sailing soon ? Have you heard from your Genie as yet ?

I just received an email to connect with the Genie via the Loop site. The email says Loop will be available 10 days prior to our arrival, which by my calculations is tomorrow.

I've clicked the link and a chat session has loaded with an automated greeting, I've asked if I'm chatting with a bot or a person and there's been no reply after 10 minutes so I'm guessing that it's either not monitored until the 10 days prior period as mentioned in the email or else there's a really long delay in the chat sessions...

I'll keep you posted. :)

I just received an email to connect with the Genie via the Loop site. The email says Loop will be available 10 days prior to our arrival, which by my calculations is tomorrow.

I've clicked the link and a chat session has loaded with an automated greeting, I've asked if I'm chatting with a bot or a person and there's been no reply after 10 minutes so I'm guessing that it's either not monitored until the 10 days prior period as mentioned in the email or else there's a really long delay in the chat sessions...

I'll keep you posted. :)

Sometimes there is a delay in response from the Genie due to someone putting a stopper in the lamp's spout.:p

Hah! Yes, I suppose that would do it :). He also says that he's onboard at the moment and I think they're due to dock in Sydney tomorrow morning so I guess it's quite late on board at this time.

The Genie replied and is "live". It just takes a while I guess. His name is Sunil - I searched this forum and he seems fairly well-known and well-regarded - so that's some good news.

Good to hear. Looks like all the planets are aligning.

UPDATE - FIXED by using keyboard keys to tab through & activate option.

Anyone having issues with the online check in today?

It lets me complete all sections but the expense account part - it doesn't have the tick box activated for confirmation I have read the credit card terms.

I have double checked & I have filled out everything - tried a few times to start fresh, log out & logged back in the usual drill - but no luck

Odd, never had issues before.

Edited by avalon007

Well.. thanks to the 'el cheapo thread' - I'm on Ovation (after missing out on the opportunity from HK to Sing a few months ago).

2nd RC cruise in 3-4mths - after we did Voyager from HK to Sing(prior to it's relocation to Oz) - doing the 14 nights NZ one in 11 days time - looking forward to getting back to Auckland and Wellington for a day.... :)

Now to find out what the gym is like on the Ovation (the Voyager was quite poor IMO)

Edited by shireboi