Ovation review

pearlsz

Well.. thanks to the 'el cheapo thread' - I'm on Ovation (after missing out on the opportunity from HK to Sing a few months ago).

2nd RC cruise in 3-4mths - after we did Voyager from HK to Sing(prior to it's relocation to Oz) - doing the 14 nights NZ one in 11 days time - looking forward to getting back to Auckland and Wellington for a day.... :)

Now to find out what the gym is like on the Ovation (the Voyager was quite poor IMO)

240_F_91618179_eR79OdR87jR9fp9S3aaiJGz4aGqkkwuE.jpg

;)

Wow... was noting from your other posts that it actually tenders in Auckland (and yet docks in Wellington !). How 'sad' is that ????

At least it's a full day - catch the loop bus up to Newmarket and Ponsonby - and find some fish n chips for lunch !

Well - booked today - under the deal - supposedly it was to be an 'obstructed' balcony - turns out not to be - !!! great !! - scored balcony deck 8 near the rear - starboard side (great for leaving Sydney)

Took a pic this evening whilst it was docked - and worked out where it it :)

Methinks that RC are having 'issues' filling these ships this season, with some of the great deals that have been coming out in recent days !

Edited by shireboi

• 2 weeks later...
Well - booked today - under the deal - supposedly it was to be an 'obstructed' balcony - turns out not to be - !!! great !! - scored balcony deck 8 near the rear - starboard side (great for leaving Sydney)

Methinks that RC are having 'issues' filling these ships this season, with some of the great deals that have been coming out in recent days !

While there are certainly some issues with getting off the ship in each port (ship's excursions not included) the rest of the ship is wonderful. My review will be coming soon.:D

We got off yesterday as well. I also think it was a really good cruise. There are definitely queues, people just need to be realistic. I have been to 3 cruises during the summer school holidays, this one is no worse in terms of crowds in Windjammer and swimming pools. Seaplex activities did require some lining up.

Like Mic said, getting off the ship on port days was the main issue. The first port (Dunedin) was the worst; second port (Wellington) had an unfortunate medical emergency; no problems with 3rd port (Napier). Can't talk about 4th (Picton) as I was on a shore excursion.

Yes, really enjoyed the cruise and the ship is very good, doesn't feel crowded in most areas (except for queues to get off) and has plenty to offer everyone.:D

Welcome back Uncle Mic. The NATCAP is still there, but most of its inhabitants are down here, lol !!

Edited by NSWP

Where are you finding these deals? Is it on their website?

Without knowing specifics and only monitoring prices since Ovations season was first announced I am guessing RCI would be very pleased with the first season.

It appears the ship has been sailing full every voyage and the rest of the season is virtually booked out with I suspect most cabins being sold near the top of their price range.

Maybe the Cruisco charter was not as successful but from what I have read that is a Cruisco issue and doesn't affect RCI's revenue.

At the Bay of Islands today !

Tenders : we had to queue up to get tickets - 45min wait - then I had tender number 4 !!!!!!

Went to room - grabbed mum - up to grab breakfast, had just a coffee, then our number came up :eek:

Tenders were going 30-40mins earlier than anticipated.

Really nice sunny day - been, back, and now watching the tenders and all the watercraft.

Only ONE issue so far : availability of Spin Cycles in gym (eg - they aren't and are hidden away for general usage :confused: and *** !!!!!! MIGHTY PEEVED OFF AS ARE OTHERS !!!)

Up to North Star now !!!

Edited by shireboi

At the Bay of Islands today !

Tenders : we had to queue up to get tickets - 45min wait - then I had tender number 4 !!!!!!

Went to room - grabbed mum - up to grab breakfast, had just a coffee, then our number came up :eek:

Tenders were going 30-40mins earlier than anticipated.

Really nice sunny day - been, back, and now watching the tenders and all the watercraft.

Only ONE issue so far : availability of Spin Cycles in gym (eg - they aren't and are hidden away for general usage :confused: and *** !!!!!! MIGHTY PEEVED OFF AS ARE OTHERS !!!)

Up to North Star now !!!

Good stuff, enjoy north star over BoI.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Yes my wife has complained about this. I haven't been near the gym ... but the wife goes twice a day and says that she is surprised how busy it gets.

But we've had no serious issues either. This is our first cruise and the whole family is hooked on this now.

Yes my wife has complained about this. I haven't been near the gym ... but the wife goes twice a day and says that she is surprised how busy it gets.

But we've had no serious issues either. This is our first cruise and the whole family is hooked on this now.

She might have been the one i chatted to about th spin cycles / bikes !

I spoke to the activities manager (sadly useless) and the spa manager (more useless) and left a 'shout out' in the box - but nothing has been fixed

They wanted $12 for a Spin class - one only session at 9am !

They then 'hid' the spin studio by pulling down the curtain

"Due to safety reasons (?) spin cycles are only for classes"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to get onto the Hotel Director.

This is a big ship !!

We are in a balcony deck 8 - it's narrower than Voyager - but we aren't obese :eek:

We haven't bothered with My Time dining - u need to book but Royal IQ is not connected to do that.

The Windjammer is much smaller than Voyager - just a central section with sections repeat (that is there are duplicate counters on either side of th central area. We have no idea what the service area is right at the back section - it doesn't get used. There is sitting areas in the back sections but they told tend to get used. There is a small outdoor area but it's too far to carry food.

There's plenty of free food choices (just don't bother do with snacks / cakes / pizza !! The Sorrento's pizza is ....... terrible ! U can request to make a small individual pizza.

The pools - one nice outdoor - one big indoor - and the solarium which has 1 meter tired pools (just basically sit with your drink). The spas at the front are great (when they are HOT !!). There are some things that u never want to see again !!! :o

Entertainment : been pretty average / poor so far. Solo singers each night in the theatre. Two70 is a great area - the technology is fantastic - especially with the TV screens. A lot of weird seats.

Shops : we are waiting for the 75% off sale at Cartier !!!! Yeah as if

We aren't drinking !

Haven't done any of the restaurants yet.

10 days to go

Oh I'm the one with the ORANGE IPAD if anyone sees me !

Forget bringing HDMI cable - u can't get access to that side of the TV - the is a plate stopping u

Tom Williams from Channel 7 is onboard recording for c7 - sat next to him at breakfast this morning.

Ifly tonight @ 8.40 - I almost forgot

Edited by shireboi

I spoke to the activities manager (sadly useless) and the spa manager (more useless) and left a 'shout out' in the box - but nothing has been fixed

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a big ship !!

We are in a balcony deck 8 - it's narrower than Voyager - but we aren't obese :eek:

We haven't bothered with My Time dining - u need to book but Royal IQ is not connected to do that.

The Windjammer is much smaller than Voyager - just a central section with sections repeat (that is there are duplicate counters on either side of th central area. We have no idea what the service area is right at the back section - it doesn't get used. There is sitting areas in the back sections but they told tend to get used. There is a small outdoor area but it's too far to carry food.

There's plenty of free food choices (just don't bother do with snacks / cakes / pizza !! The Sorrento's pizza is ....... terrible ! U can request to make a small individual pizza.

The pools - one nice outdoor - one big indoor - and the solarium which has 1 meter tired pools (just basically sit with your drink). The spas at the front are great (when they are HOT !!). There are some things that u never want to see again !!! :o

Entertainment : been pretty average / poor so far. Solo singers each night in the theatre. Two70 is a great area - the technology is fantastic - especially with the TV screens. A lot of weird seats.

Shops : we are waiting for the 75% off sale at Cartier !!!! Yeah as if

We aren't drinking !

Haven't done any of the restaurants yet.

10 days to go

Oh I'm the one with the ORANGE IPAD if anyone sees me !

Forget bringing HDMI cable - u can't get access to that side of the TV - the is a plate stopping u

Tom Williams from Channel 7 is onboard recording for c7 - sat next to him at breakfast this morning.

Ifly tonight @ 8.40 - I almost forgot

Fly safely, and don't blink or you will miss it.

Yeah that spin bike thing sounds like nickel-and-diming.

I agree it's a big ship. We're also on deck 8, down at the stern in a Loft Suite. Our kids love the lazy river pool but we are yet to get into the solarium. We saw a magic show last night because I wound up sitting next to and chatting with the magician Nick by the pool on the first day. The kids liked the show. We're off to Pixels tonight.

We haven't been to the Windjammer and probably won't. On the food generally, we were initially concerned about the quality. Coastal Kitchen wasn't as good as we'd hoped and Wonderland was poorly executed and we all felt a bit sick that night after eating there. Thankfully Chops is pretty good - easily the best restaurant we've been to on board - so we'll just eat dinner there as much as possible.

The wife is treating it as a floating health retreat, doing some classes and a fair bit of cardio and resistance training. I, on the other hand, have managed to gain almost 2kg in just four days!!! I blame the unlimited booze and my complete lack of discipline around exercise unless somebody has an appointment to meet me at the gym (and he's back in Sydney).

I'll look out for an orange iPad!

Edited by Homerclese

I tend to over indulge with both the food and drink but hey, that is one of the reasons why I cruise. My favourite restaurant was wonderland but once done, it is not somewhere I would go back to. Chops is good but found the MDR was adequate for my needs, several appetisers and a main, then dessert is enough.

Overall, the food was good to great with none being excellent.

We saw a magic show last night because I wound up sitting next to and chatting with the magician Nick by the pool on the first day. The kids liked the show. We're off to Pixels tonight.

!

I'm guessing that is Nick Nickolas. I've seen him twice on both RCI and Carnival. He is very good.

Edited by cruisine21

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It won't be "fixed." They've always operated them like that, on all their ships, ever since they were introduced. Usually they remove the seats as well, just in case anyone tries to use them when nobody's around, which happens.

They only operate them in classes, and that's the usual price for classes there.

It won't be "fixed." They've always operated them like that, on all their ships, ever since they were introduced. Usually they remove the seats as well, just in case anyone tries to use them when nobody's around, which happens.

They only operate them in classes, and that's the usual price for classes there.

Now that is a safety issue.:D

Yeah that spin bike thing sounds like nickel-and-diming.

I agree it's a big ship. We're also on deck 8, down at the stern in a Loft Suite. Our kids love the lazy river pool but we are yet to get into the solarium. We saw a magic show last night because I wound up sitting next to and chatting with the magician Nick by the pool on the first day. The kids liked the show. We're off to Pixels tonight.

We haven't been to the Windjammer and probably won't. On the food generally, we were initially concerned about the quality. Coastal Kitchen wasn't as good as we'd hoped and Wonderland was poorly executed and we all felt a bit sick that night after eating there. Thankfully Chops is pretty good - easily the best restaurant we've been to on board - so we'll just eat dinner there as much as possible.

The wife is treating it as a floating health retreat, doing some classes and a fair bit of cardio and resistance training. I, on the other hand, have managed to gain almost 2kg in just four days!!! I blame the unlimited booze and my complete lack of discipline around exercise unless somebody has an appointment to meet me at the gym (and he's back in Sydney).

I'll look out for an orange iPad!

We are 8708 starboard - just a few cabins from your lofty heights :)

And only 2kgs ??????

Well you are on Obese of the Seas - I feel fat just being here !!

Loved the comment from a Gavin I met on FlowRider last night "us fat bastards should get on here more" - after he had another go and fall from the board riding. Hey, I'm not that fat any more.

Ifly - sore shoulders last night. Interesting minute of ones life.

FlowRider ...soon

Warm day in Tauranga - after it started with cloud and drizzle. Noordam beat us in and took the better spot - but then the fatties needed the walk

Edited by shireboi