Ovation review

pearlsz

I will be doing a review on my return and my wife may be doing some live posts as we go.

Regarding DD, disappointingly, t is not going to happen. :(

Dazza is on the ship now and posts on the roll calls, they have done B2B2B and has clarified quite a few issues for people.

Apparently it is better to book the dining packages onboard as you can get a 3 restaurant package for $85 USD.

Maybe not. That is actually a tad more expensive than what I can book online for - $85USD at today's rate is $116.38AUD & online I can book it for $113.05AUD.

I'll check out the roll call threads for Dazza's posts.

I meant to say in post 26 that I was told that nearly 8500 people travelled on the ship on those various sectors. No wonder it was chaotic.

One day I asked for a Toblerone (the cocktail) and the bar staff hadn't heard of it no biggie just had a Mudslide instead. Next day one of the drink waiters found me and said they had googled it overnight and yes they could make one for me. Considering they hadn't heard of it it was pretty close to what I was used.

I look forward to reviews from the next couple of cruises to see if things are more settled. Things like no laundries, USD onboard, no shampoo, no notepaper, having to share tables at the Windjammer don't personally bother me (I accept that it can bother others), (also met one of my best friends years ago by sharing a table) I am more interested in the services issues.

I look forward to reviews from the next couple of cruises to see if things are more settled. Things like no laundries, USD onboard, no shampoo, no notepaper, having to share tables at the Windjammer don't personally bother me (I accept that it can bother others), (also met one of my best friends years ago by sharing a table) I am more interested in the services issues.

A lot of those things are RCL general characteristics in any case, so not a bad reflection of the ship as compared to any other RCL ship.

Maybe not. That is actually a tad more expensive than what I can book online for - $85USD at today's rate is $116.38AUD & online I can book it for $113.05AUD.

I'll check out the roll call threads for Dazza's posts.

They do not offering the dinner packages on line for my cruise so booking the 3 restaurants individually is definitely much more like $150-170 AUD.

I've just finished reading the reviews Sinapore - Adelaide and sounds like a real disaster. I'm not fond of queuing.

This could be a problem for RCI, I am guessing that most of the staff are Chinese speaking for the Chinese market so their service may not be what Australian cruises are used too.

Just got of the Radiance Friday - much less crowded than the Voyager So this being much bigger again may seem crowded. We have been on the voyager before and after it was based in Asia, big difference in service and the way things are done.

I noticed that someone said room service breakfast was chargeable now, I wonder if they are going down the P&O way of charging extra for everything they can?

Hadn't heard of him, but a search shows he seems to be Adelaide based. Probably why.

They did have to discount, and did run with some vacancies at the end so there would have been a hit to their revenue model. Comes down to how hard they bargained with RCL to make the charter. Given RCL came in to help sales towards the end, it was that much of an issue for them to do that, and that RCL felt a need to help them out. Being an agency they wouldn't want to put them offside anyway.

Gut feel is I doubt it was a loss, but was probably a marginal venture - especially with all the very high amount of admin they had to do, which put more of a burden and cost on their staff, I doubt they'd do it again.

I questioned someone very very hard ie shouting match and in the end they said they weren't making any money on the venture hence why nobody got upgraded etc. Don't think they meant to say that but it wouldn't surprise me if that was near correct. RCL would not have been happy as they would have lost revenue on onboard spending etc so that would be why they helped. The whole thing was a complete debacle and RCL's image tarnished by all those negative reviews to the chaos that prevailed. Some of their staff onboard were downright rude and happily lied there way out of issues. I will never go now that company again.

I questioned someone very very hard ie shouting match and in the end they said they weren't making any money on the venture hence why nobody got upgraded etc. Don't think they meant to say that but it wouldn't surprise me if that was near correct. RCL would not have been happy as they would have lost revenue on onboard spending etc so that would be why they helped. The whole thing was a complete debacle and RCL's image tarnished by all those negative reviews to the chaos that prevailed. Some of their staff onboard were downright rude and happily lied there way out of issues. I will never go now that company again.

This very much correlates with the story I heard Saturday night from someone in the flight travel business and who cruises frequently.

I noticed that someone said room service breakfast was chargeable now, I wonder if they are going down the P&O way of charging extra for everything they can?

We enjoy the occasional breakfast on the balcony. Is the charge across all RCI ships?

We enjoy the occasional breakfast on the balcony. Is the charge across all RCI ships?

We've been on the voyager a few times now and once on the Radiance and the room service as always free, included in the cost. So from what understand the other ships in Australia don't charge. P&O charge for each item for room service.

I don't think there is a charge for room service except for late night delivery.

My cruise booklet states:

Room Service is available onboard any time of the day of (sic) night - simply order from the room service menu located in your stateroom/suite. A late night service charge of $3.95 ($4.95 on Quantum Class ships) per delivery will apply when ordering room service between the hours of midnight and 05:00. This service fee includes gratuity.

They are also charging for the steam room sauna its free on the other ships but $99 for ovation

Well, maybe RCI are looking at the P&O business model. That's the reason we stopped cruising with P&O after about 20 cruises and switched to RCI. Everything on RCI was included such as Sauna, Steam Room & Room Service, Kids Activities (skating, golf etc....)

Maybe they could charge for Rock Climbing, Flow Riderand Ice Skating as an extra?

I do have to clarify that we do still use P&O in winter as its local, but if RCI were based year round, we'd cruise with them in winter too.

I may have start looking at another cruise line - darn, so close to Diamond.

Thanks for the review, I look forward to comparing your thoughts and experience when I board in just under two weeks.

Hopefully some of the organising issues have been resolved or streamlined at least. I am also My time and am somewhat apprehensive about how well it will work, I like to eat around 7.30-8pm which is normally a bit quieter as most people prefer to eat earlier or go for late traditional. I was unable to book for the I-fly and North Star but have been assured we can book once on board, hopefully this is true and being a 10 night cruise, we should have a better chance of getting to try them than on your shorter cruise.:D

Sent from my iPad using Forums

MicCanberra, (and anyone else)

My Time Dining has not improved, sorry.

We went to deck 3 on arrival, saw the lady who handles the traditional dining which turned out to be in the Grande Dining Room on 3 - and booked a permanent time and table.

Every night MTD still has lines. If you enjoy that type of thing, by all means - line up :)

Porky55 - aka Glenn

We went to deck 3 on arrival, saw the lady who handles the traditional dining which turned out to be in the Grande Dining Room on 3 - and booked a permanent time and table.

Every night MTD still has lines. If you enjoy that type of thing, by all means - line up :)

Porky55 - aka Glenn

Thanks Glenn.:D

Porky55 - aka Glenn

Did you happen to notice what time of the the night the My Time lines where most noticeable?

We have found on Voyager & other Royal ships that if we arrive closer to 8pm for dinner then we have no issues being seated - we also never insist on any table size & say we are happy to share a table. I have found if you make it easy for the staff they tend to seat you faster than those wanting a table for 2 or 4 etc.

But even if My Time is a wait I won't change to set dining, we never eat at the same time every night because we are usually in conversation with people we have met in the Diamond Lounge around the dinner times. Sometimes we have even totally missed dinner & even the windjammer because we lost track of time & ended up just grabbing a snack from the cafe! :D

Is there really no shampoo or conditioner provided?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There is moisturiser shampoo conditioner all free in little tubes replaced daily .complimentary continental breakfast , cereals and fresh fruit :)

Good point on the times of business, also are they are handing out buzzers?

Mic - sorry, didn't notice any buzzers, but Grande and Chic are a deck below My time dining restaurants :)

Edited by Porky55

There is moisturiser shampoo conditioner all free in little tubes replaced daily .complimentary continental breakfast , cereals and fresh fruit :)

Seriously??

We are in a balcony stateroom on deck 12, and the only supplies in our room are the push button shampoo in the shower!!

I think Hogbay is pulling someone's leg! or is in a Suite!!

If you aren't lucky enough to be in a suite or better - you will need to supply all your own stuff Cruisers

Edited by Porky55

Seriously??

We are in a balcony stateroom on deck 12, and the only supplies in our room are the push button shampoo in the shower!!

If you aren't lucky enough to be in a suite or better - you will need to supply all your own stuff Cruisers

So it is the same as the other ships..

Inside cabin on the VOTS and it was the shampoo and the shower gel dispensers.

Junior Suite on the EOTS and it was the little bottles.

Either way, bringing your own shampoo and conditioner is what most people prefer.

Seriously??

I'd be guessing he's in a suite.

I think also that's what his reference to complimentary continental breakfast is. All main dining venues have a full breakfast, but the suite lounge generally only has continental.