Can someone explain why it's such a big deal?

Aidenspoppy

Why is it so important to know who the CD is? My cruise has never been made better or worse because of who this person was. Most the time I find then to be extremely obnoxious and annoying. Also while were at it, same question about the Matre D. Does it really make that big a difference?

This question gets asked from time to time (probably on most cruise line forums). A CD cannot really take anything away from my cruise, if I find him or her annoying I just tune them out, but a CD can make a cruise better by his or her energy, sense of humor, etc.

Once you cruise with a really good CD you'll recognize the difference they can make.

I was reading and was going to say the same thing. Our first cruises we didn't even know what a CD was... then we had Wee Jimmy and well our cruise was so much more.

We won't pick a cruise because of the CD but having a great one will really add to your enjoyment.

it doesn't matter much to me. when i am on a cruise i am going to have a good time no matter what. with the CD it has to be hard to please all demographics that make up the guests on the ship.

for me it is more important who the Alchemy bartenders are. that is where i like to spend a lot of my time and when the bartender crew at alchemy is fun and energetic it makes my cruise better.

Why is it so important to know who the CD is? My cruise has never been made better or worse because of who this person was. Most the time I find then to be extremely obnoxious and annoying. Also while were at it, same question about the Matre D. Does it really make that big a difference?

Had a really bad experience with Maitre D' at the specialty restaurant on Fascination, but otherwise they seem pretty average. Seems their role on Carnival is not the same as you would have in a land-based fine dining establishment to me.

I had one really good experience and one annoying one with the CD's. The annoying one was a British woman whose voice was tinny, nasaly (sp), and loud, and she came off to me as more phony than others, as if she was forcing it. Also, she laughed at a lot of her own comments but usually if you look around at least some other people in the common areas laugh along, but not with her (did see some eye rolls by day 3 though). On the positive side, our cruise on Legend to Alaska was a wonderful experience in the regard. If you haven't cruised Alaska but have noticed everyone who has, recommends it, DO IT. We cruise out of Seattle to three ports in Alaska and one in Canada. On day 2 (fun day at sea), the ship stopped in the deep and a scientist/nature spokesperson boarded by a secondary ship that pulled up. From there on she became the CD and was on the air much of the time, describing what we were passing, pointing out things that people only saw after she pointed them out (e.g., rams on a cliff and a bear on a beach while cruising the fjord)... She was on air much more than a CD but was awesome, delighting young and old alike. Wish I could remember her name to recommend her. It was our best cruise ever, BY FAR, it'll be the first venue we redo.

The CDs don't make or break our cruises, however on the Sunshine I thought she was annoying. Our cruises on the Pride have always been with maitre d Ken Byrnes and he was fantastic. Just off the Pride with Hateem as maitre d and he left a lot to be desired. He just wasn't very personable. It didn't ruin our cruise though.

The CDs don't make or break our cruises, however on the Sunshine I thought she was annoying. Our cruises on the Pride have always been with maitre d Ken Byrnes and he was fantastic. Just off the Pride with Hateem as maitre d and he left a lot to be desired. He just wasn't very personable. It didn't ruin our cruise though.

Ken is the best. I love to hear him sing.

Cruise Directors do not make or break a cruise for me but I did find that after sailing with Mike Pack on the Paradise and just recently Matt Mitchum on the Vista my enjoyment of the cruise activities went up a notch.

I agree with another poster that commented that a connected and happy CD makes for a entertainment staff that enjoys their jobs as well.

I would say that normally the CD has had very little influence on my overall cruise experiences. The exception has been my last two cruises, however. Dr E (Everson Beville) was the CD on the Magic, and he has been my favorite CD ever. Definitely makes me want to do that ship again as long as he is on it. We followed that up with the Dream last year. The CD totally sucked, as did the whole entertainment staff and activities. Worst experience of all my cruises.

Edited by RMcoolX

Unless we need to change tables no interreaction with MD and even than an asst usually handles it.

Most cruises the MD never even comes to the table to say hi and ask how everything is.

An exception was on t Magic last month. Guy came over and in chatting asked about table magician and the next day he brought him over for an amusing 5 minutes

Agree and disagree.....

Mike Pack, Karl with A K, Dr. E.....to name a few that really are awesome!

Some others, unnamed, yeah ok, not that good.

CD's really don't make or break my cruise. I have fun without them. But it is nice to have someone personable when out and about.

One guy who called himself big sexy. I didn't really care for except he did a morning show on the CCTV that was good.

Had Matt on a couple of cruises and if you weren't female he had no use for you.

Our very first cruise the guy was both personable and knowledgeable but don't remember his name.

The Md's never really ever see at the table. Unless it's towards the end of the cruise and they are looking for tips.

Cruise Director, honestly with so many cruises I rarely make it to activities that they are hosting. So really doesn't matter to me. 17 different CD's, 2 or 3 really stuck out to me as really great, 2 that were just not so great and most do there job well.

As for Maitre D, they all to there jobs well but had 1 that really stuck out for us, Ken Burns. We've been on three cruises when Ken was MD. Ken is very engaged with his dinners, meeting and greeting his guests. If you haven't had the opportunity to have Ken as MD you have also missed out on him performing during the meal. He does an excellent job of singing songs of Frank Sinatra. I'm always hopeful that Ken will be MD on our cruises.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Many have responded to the OP's question answering that the CD , and the MD do not matter . Mostly true .

You have to ask for whom does it matter . I'd say there is a certain group that always feels a need to

meet and develop a "relationship" with staff members . The same types who press to eat with the captain

and want a personal connection with their steward . Now having enjoyable interactions with the staff is

great but I don't wish to be their buddy . Nor do I want the CD to greet me by name .

Yeah....I feel the same way. The only reason I want to know their name on board is so I have a mental picture of how to be annoyed with on a daily basis.
So true . :D Edited by richstowe

I agree that a bad CD can have a negative impact as it seems other staff pick up on the negative. Have to say John Heald, Jaime Dee and Malcolm seemed to improve the overall experience in our cruises.

As for M'd, it's never really come into play. Since they are no longer in the tip pool, and haven't been for some time, as long as they do their job all if well with me. We did have an issue last cruise and it was taken care of quickly.

I personally could care less who the CD is, and would never pick a cruise based on who was/wasn't the CD. For me it's all about the ship itself and the itinerary, as I am someone who likes relaxing on a nice beach or in a great serenity area. But you have to keep in mind some people are not sun worshipers and spend their days/nights at all those numerous activities that the CD's always announce, and for them the CD is important if they cruise to attend those activities. Everyone has their own cup of tea.

I think some of the CD's do a better job in planning activities and making sure all the guests have something they like to do.

Most of them just make annoying announcements though, and you really can't understand what they're saying anyway, if you're around noisy activities or people.

Which reminds me of the comedian that said "did anyone hear the captain today? did anyone understand what he was saying?" .........lol :D

We just got off the Magic and I can tell you one thing about the CD on that ship. He was the most annoying and lame CD I ever heard. "May the Schwartz be with you, ok bye, love you, bye,love you more bye bye". Who does that? I can care less who the CD is on any ship, I just remember the annoying ones.

My philosophy is, the less you hear from them the better your cruise will be.

I definitely DO like to have a great CD---I have had Matt 3x and Bruce 3X, a few others here and there, but I love the whole entertainment experience and these 2 put a great week together. If you are just there to lay around in the sun you may not care, but people cruise for all kinds of reasons and I love a combination of relaxing and entertainment. These guys/girls work endlessy to please a ship of thousands every week with very little sleep. I certainly appreciate it when it shows.

As for the Maitre D--don't care--we just sit at the table we are assigned and never have a problem. And I have never seen him come around to greet anyone on my 9 cruises.

Edited by bingomamma19

Once you cruise with a really good CD you'll recognize the difference they can make.

What qualities make for a really good CD? I have been on 25 cruises and can't recall any CD by name or being a really good CD. Maybe it is because that I really don't attend many activities hosted by a CD except for the intros to the shows...