Reducing internet usage on board

TwoBadKnees

Hi,

Why not just leave the computer at home and enjoy the holiday?

o Be able to communicate with ill family members back home.

o Be able to be contacted by credit card company when they freeze your account even though you notified them you would be traveling.

o Pay bills that arrive at home and then become due during your voyage. (I realize that this applies to longer voyages only.)

Tony - it's got nothing to do with money. I get a lot of free minutes. If I can reduce my "footprint" it will make the internet "faster" for me and everyone else, including you. We can all help each other by not doing things that bog down the internet.

Indeed. I do wish that people would cut down on streaming videos, doing video chats, uploading a thousand photos, etc., so everyone else's WiFi doesn't crawl even more slowly. It's the online version of being a chair hog.

I compose emails to family using Outlook BEFORE I access the internet, and save the drafts.

Then I get online, make a quick check for new emails, noting anything from a family member that might need a response.

I open Outlook, add whatever is needed to the prepared emails, and send them. I generally use no more than 10 minutes of my allotted minutes per day, and have never used all of my minutes, even when on a 30 day or longer cruise.

Question about wifi security - I haven't used the ship's wifi to do any banking, etc. Just how secure is a wifi connection? Can someone within range log all my keystrokes even if the website address is using "https" ?

The ships wifi is as secure as any public wifi hotspot anywhere else, basically it isn't secure at all. Anyone on the network can see your traffic unless the connection is encrypted.

Best advice is to use a VPN. I use a Cisco IPSec 256 bit encrypted VPN service which costs about $50 a year. There are numerous very reputable services out there to choose from that will allow access via laptop, phone and tablet. You will have a little slow down in your internet speed but it's worth the tradeoff for the security.

If your web connection, or app connection, uses https then that connection is secured and safer from prying eyes. But anything else you do transmit over the internet would not be.

No one is logging your keystrokes unless you have a virus on your computer.

Why not just leave the computer at home and enjoy the holiday.

These are not mutually exclusive, I can thoroughly enjoy my vacation while still using my phone or tablet. Not sure why many people feel that you can't enjoy a cruise without disconnecting completely from the world? Is it great that my phone doesn't ring? Absolutely, but I also enjoy sharing my experiences with those on this board as well.

Remember all of you who buy packages are just adding to the cruise line profits. Whether 1 or 1000 buy the cruise line is paying the same.

David

Yup, and by doing so are also keeping all of our cruise fares lower as well.

These are not mutually exclusive, I can thoroughly enjoy my vacation while still using my phone or tablet. Not sure why many people feel that you can't enjoy a cruise without disconnecting completely from the world? Is it great that my phone doesn't ring? Absolutely, but I also enjoy sharing my experiences with those on this board as well.

Well said, thank you. Not all of us are wishing to "Escape Completely" as our lives at home are not so bad. Many of us cruise to explore new places, cultures and experiences.

Edited by beg3yrs

Good advice. As for WiFi security, if you're using https:, the entire transmission is encrypted. Someone might be able to intercept the data stream, but it'd just be gibberish.

This while true it doesn't tell the whole story. Websites that use OpenSSL/TLS and have not patched their systems are vulnerable to a SSL attack. The SSL/TLS "Heartbleed Bug" a couple years ago exposed user names, passwords and worse the actual private keys used by websites to encrypt the SSL traffic. With those keys the gibbersh turns into readable characters. Hackers were even able to decrypt VPN traffic.

The safest way to bank while on a cruise or any public wifi is just don't do it. Your stocks will still be there when you get back home. IF you must, use your cell phone as a wifi hotspot and only you will be on the connection. Of course additional fees will apply depending on your plan.

Just because you have an SSL connection it doesn't mean your safe.

Edited by GRAYTech

Hackers were even able to decrypt VPN traffic.

You may want to go into more detail here. Making a blanket statement that a VPN can be hacked simply isn't true as far as I'm aware. There are varying types of VPN services and protocols, some of which are unencrypted. It's my understanding that, for example, the Cisco IPSec 256 bit encrypted VPN protocol has not been hacked before unless you can site a source?

Hi,

Why not just leave the computer at home and enjoy the holiday. Remember all of you who buy packages are just adding to the cruise line profits. Whether 1 or 1000 buy the cruise line is paying the same.

David

I consider this a "looking down your nose with an air of superiority post." It postulates that internet access somehow makes a cruise not enjoyable. Some of us enjoy keeping in touch with family and friends while we are away. Some need to keep in touch for business reasons. I also enjoy tormenting those in frozen climes with Caribbean pictures. :D One size does not fit all so don't even try. If you are happy without connectivity, more power to you! :cool:

As far as adding to the profits of the cruise lines, all the better. The more profits they make on things like internet, alcohol, et al, the less likely they are to raise cruise fares.

It's my understanding that, for example, the Cisco IPSec 256 bit encrypted VPN protocol has not been hacked before unless you can site a source?

Don't know specifics about Cisco and it would also depend on the version etc.

Here is one link about several Cisco VPN products -

https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20140409-heartbleed

Google "heartbleed VPN Cisco" and a number of articles will come up. You can see if your specific version of software was impacted.

Don't know specifics about Cisco and it would also depend on the version etc.

Here is one link about several Cisco VPN products -

https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20140409-heartbleed

Google "heartbleed VPN Cisco" and a number of articles will come up. You can see if your specific version of software was impacted.

This is an SSL vulnerability, IPSec is a completely different protocol and not susceptible to this vulnerability.

I use Thunderbird for email and Firefox as my browser. Both are Mozillla products and free.

I despise web email. Why should I have to open a browser and navigate to some web site to send or receive email? You can use a program like Thuderbird to receive and send email without connecting to your provider's site. I have Internet access via Comcast cable. I just had to configure Thunderbird with the incoming and outgoing server info for Comcast and Presto!

Break free of your web based email. If your email program doesn't automagically configure itself for your email server (many of them now do based on your email address) it is simple to get the settings yourself using Google. You will definitely cut down your onboard Internet usage if you can simply send or receive email without first having to connect to your provider's web site. It works flawlessly wherever I go.

Edited by Thrak

This is an SSL vulnerability, IPSec is a completely different protocol and not susceptible to this vulnerability.

True IPsec and SSL are different things. However, the Cisco Anyconnect Client (IPsec) was included on the vulnerable list at the time. https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20140409-heartbleed

I should have been clearer in my original post.

- I don't know of any actual hacking of a VPN connection, only that the Heartbleed Bug made it possible which is documented on the Cisco support pages. Cisco SSL (clientless) VPN connections were also vulnerable, also documented in the Cisco support pages.

- I believe an estimated 70% of all internet servers were running the OpenSSL/TLS layer and were therefore vulnerable at the time the bug was discovered. This includes some of the big boys like Amazon, Ebay and so on. They were vulnerable but not known to be hacked.

- There were numerous verified Heartbleed SSL hacks to government and private servers, the largest was likely the Canadian Tax Agency. It's unknown exactly how many servers were truly compromised only that millions were vulnerable.

- It's now more than a couple years past the discovery of Heartbleed so many servers have been patched and therefore safe. I'm sure the big boys acted fast (like Cisco) but I'd bet not all servers have been fixed.

My original post was meant to alert folks that just because you have an HTTPS (or SSL) connection it doesn't mean you are safe. You certainly wouldn't want to bank only without the HTTPS connection but just because you have it doesn't mean you are 100% safe, the Heartbleed Bug changed that thinking. Therefore, don't do the banking or check your stocks until you get home was my advice.

Still today I establish a VPN connection to my server sitting at my house when I'm on the road. Then use a RDP connection to control a workstation to access the internet. While this is pretty secure I no longer believe it's 100% secure (due to some undiscovered exploit in some layer of software like Heartbleed) so I still do use this method but not for banking etc.

With this said it may be true that nothing is 100% safe. Even a cell phone connection can be compromised. Just be aware of what you are doing and eliminate any risk by just not engaging in anything on a public Wifi that you wouldn't want anyone else privy to.

Spent a moment on goggle and it does appear VPN sessions were being hijacked from VPN concentrators running the OpenSSL unpatched code. Don't know if this impacted Cisco specifically or which version of software/device but it does appear hacking using Heartbleed did in fact compromise VPN connections.

https://threatpost.com/targeted-attack-uses-heartbleed-to-hijack-vpn-sessions/105567/

True IPsec and SSL are different things. However, the Cisco Anyconnect Client (IPsec) was included on the vulnerable list at the time. https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20140409-heartbleed

Only because Anyconnect uses both SSL and IPSec, again IPSec is not vulnerable to this exploit.

I think for the purposes of this forum it's best just to focus on the fact that if your using public or even ships wifi it's best to use an encrypted VPN (if you want to get more advanced recommend using an LT2P/IPSec protocol) to help protect you in addition to making sure the website has an https connection.

Nothing is full proof, but I don't think there are many nation-state or advanced hackers on a Caribbean cruise these days.

Only because Anyconnect uses both SSL and IPSec, again IPSec is not vulnerable to this exploit.

I think for the purposes of this forum it's best just to focus on the fact that if your using public or even ships wifi it's best to use an encrypted VPN (if you want to get more advanced recommend using an LT2P/IPSec protocol) to help protect you in addition to making sure the website has an https connection.

Nothing is full proof, but I don't think there are many nation-state or advanced hackers on a Caribbean cruise these days.

It's Christmas and don't mean to be a PITA but the IPsec VPN's were hackable at the time because the server side used OpenSSL. So yes it depends on the specific client you are using, the device you are connecting to and version(s) of software running on both sides. Bottom line it's not 100% safe.

As of our last cruise Princess internet doesn't support IPsec connections. In fact I tried to connect and it hung my token so I couldn't get in even on shore via wifi so I can't recommend using an IPsec connection while on board.

I agree with you, a VPN is a safer option but still believe don't do online banking when you are on a public wifi regardless of how safe you think you might be.

Sincerely hoping you and everyone else is having a great holiday!

It's Christmas and don't mean to be a PITA but the IPsec VPN's were hackable at the time because the server side used OpenSSL. So yes it depends on the specific client you are using, the device you are connecting to and version(s) of software running on both sides. Bottom line it's not 100% safe.

As of our last cruise Princess internet doesn't support IPsec connections. In fact I tried to connect and it hung my token so I couldn't get in even on shore via wifi so I can't recommend using an IPsec connection while on board.

I agree with you, a VPN is a safer option but still believe don't do online banking when you are on a public wifi regardless of how safe you think you might be.

Sincerely hoping you and everyone else is having a great holiday!

No worries at all, we are just having a good conversation.

IPSec has worked on all of my last 5 Princess cruises. I have never had an issue with it connecting.

I consider this a "looking down your nose with an air of superiority post." It postulates that internet access somehow makes a cruise not enjoyable. Some of us enjoy keeping in touch with family and friends while we are away. Some need to keep in touch for business reasons. I also enjoy tormenting those in frozen climes with Caribbean pictures. :D One size does not fit all so don't even try. If you are happy without connectivity, more power to you! :cool:

As far as adding to the profits of the cruise lines, all the better. The more profits they make on things like internet, alcohol, et al, the less likely they are to raise cruise fares.

hI,

The point I was making was that a holiday is that, away from home for a period of time. On a recent cruise I noticed a couple and overtime I saw them in the cafeteria, coffee shop or wherever they were glued to their screens, maybe they were communicating with each other!.

As far as profit is concerned you have definitely lost the plot. The cruise line will make as much as they can and raise fares to.

All I can say is get a life when on holiday.

D

My 95-yo mom can no longer cruise.

Is it ok if I email her a couple pictures during the cruise?

I know she would really, really enjoy receiving them.

Or, would this somehow prevent me from having a life?

IPSec has worked on all of my last 5 Princess cruises. I have never had an issue with it connecting.

OK now you have my attention. I'm one of those that can't "completely escape" and a VPN connection while on board would be a game changer.

Do you use the Cisco Any connect client 3.1.05152? If not, what works for you?

hI,

The point I was making was that a holiday is that, away from home for a period of time. On a recent cruise I noticed a couple and overtime I saw them in the cafeteria, coffee shop or wherever they were glued to their screens, maybe they were communicating with each other!.

As far as profit is concerned you have definitely lost the plot. The cruise line will make as much as they can and raise fares to.

D

I am sorry that the actions of others, especially those that don't directly affect you, have such a negative effect on the enjoyment of your cruise. I have seen many instances of cruise behavior that makes me shake my head but it did not make me feel bad. Live and let live and let them run their connection bills through the roof. I have noticed no significant rise in cruise fares, but I may be wrong.

OK now you have my attention. I'm one of those that can't "completely escape" and a VPN connection while on board would be a game changer.

Do you use the Cisco Any connect client 3.1.05152? If not, what works for you?

I use a third party VPN service, they are so inexpensive now a days and most offer servers all over the world to help with connection speed issues. Much cheaper and more convenient than running my own server at home imo.

hI,

D

I don't understand why it's any of your business. Is lying on a chair in the sun reading a book or sleeping a higher order or something?