Reducing internet usage on board

TwoBadKnees

I use Windows 10.

To decrease my onboard waste of internet, I do the following:

WiFi connection - I set my ship connection to metered so Windows won't try to download the monster sized OS upgrades.

eMail service - I only download a small amount of each eMail, and never attachments. If I need more text or the attachment, I can do it on a case by case basis.

Internet browser - enable flashblock to stop downloads of videos. Enable adblock to stop downloads of adverts. Again, if I need them I can do it on a case by case basis.

Other software programs - I disable automatic updates.

For security I never have software remember my login ids/passwords or store files containing personal info in case my computer decides to grow legs. Since it isn't likely there will be another passenger with my last name on a cruise, just my last name is on the computer in case it gets sent to the purser's lost and found.

Question about wifi security - I haven't used the ship's wifi to do any banking, etc. Just how secure is a wifi connection? Can someone within range log all my keystrokes even if the website address is using "https" ?

Any other tips? Thanks.

Didn't think anyone could log on. However,my husband logged on and was sitting in Atrium. When he logged off saw that he had only 25 minutes left. Should have been over 200. Went immediately to

Internet manager. And to his surprise, it was someone else' account

not his. I think this was two years ago.

Don't know how it happened but with the new Internet program doubt it could happen. I am no expert so not really sure.

I never look up any bank accounts or credit cards. And never pay any bills while on board. My travel Netbook has no saved passwords on it.

Edited by san diego sue

I use Windows 10.

To decrease my onboard waste of internet, I do the following:

WiFi connection - I set my ship connection to metered so Windows won't try to download the monster sized OS upgrades.

eMail service - I only download a small amount of each eMail, and never attachments. If I need more text or the attachment, I can do it on a case by case basis.

Internet browser - enable flashblock to stop downloads of videos. Enable adblock to stop downloads of adverts. Again, if I need them I can do it on a case by case basis.

Other software programs - I disable automatic updates.

For security I never have software remember my login ids/passwords or store files containing personal info in case my computer decides to grow legs. Since it isn't likely there will be another passenger with my last name on a cruise, just my last name is on the computer in case it gets sent to the purser's lost and found.

Question about wifi security - I haven't used the ship's wifi to do any banking, etc. Just how secure is a wifi connection? Can someone within range log all my keystrokes even if the website address is using "https" ?

Any other tips? Thanks.

Good advice. As for WiFi security, if you're using https:, the entire transmission is encrypted. Someone might be able to intercept the data stream, but it'd just be gibberish.

As for WiFi security, if you're using https:, the entire transmission is encrypted. Someone might be able to intercept the data stream, but it'd just be gibberish.

Thanks for this info. Makes me feel a bit safer if I ever have to access my bank website, etc.

Here is how I reduce my internet usage onboard. I put my phone in the room safe and keep it there unless I'm on shore.

I work in IT. The last thing I want to do on vacation is to stare at a screen and/or troubleshoot connection issues. :D

If you're going to send an email, compose it first in a word-type program, copy it, then paste it into your message once you have your connection. If you plan on attaching photos, know exactly where they're located so you don't have to find them while the minutes are ticking away. Our worst experience was when we received a purchase offer on a condo we were selling while onboard in the South Pacific. Lots of frustration on that one, trying to fill out documents and doing online signatures!

Edited by Kartgv

Your on a cruise that may have cost you $3K or much more and your worrying about spending a $100. for a internet package. :rolleyes:

Tony

I am not worrying, I am just asking to know how it works. It will be my first cruise so this whole world is new to me!!!

1. For E-mail, use a program such as Outlook which downloads the e-mails to your computer. Once they are downloaded, you can sign off the Internet. You can read your e-mails (but not access any links in them) while not connected to the Internet. You can also prepare any responses or new e-mails and then sign onto the Internet to send them out and once sent, sign off again.

2. Bill paying. Yes, I do pay bills from the ship if I am on a cruise long enough that I cannot either pay in advance (estimate, for example water bill or gas bill) or ones that arrive at home during the cruise but I can pay once I get home. The others, ones that arrive during the cruise and must be paid before I get home, I pay while on the ship. When I take cruises from 21 days to 41 days, this needs to be done.

3. Paying bills and Internet browsing. Can do this while the e-mails are downloading to Outlook.

4. I usually sign on to the Internet after 10 PM as less passengers are using it at that time and it will not be as slow as during much of the day.

By the way, if you have a poor signal inside your cabin, prop open the door the hallway a little and usually you will get a much better signal.

Didn't think anyone could log on. However,my husband logged on and was sitting in Atrium. When he logged off saw that he had only 25 minutes left. Should have been over 200. Went immediately to

Internet manager. And to his surprise, it was someone else' account not his. I think this was two years ago.

Don't know how it happened.

Are you sure it was someone else's account?

When this happened to me (and on more than one ship), I looked closely at the information and discovered it was from a cruise I had taken several years earlier and it listed the cabin I had been in on that voyage.

I figure it had to do with some information on my netbook that somehow interfered with showing the correct current info.

When signing on, it always had the correct information. Just showed the old info when signing off.

For fun I showed the lower number of minutes and the old cabin number on the screen to the Internet Cafe person and asked why was I getting info from a previous cruise. Always stumped them.

From what I understand, the use of wifi is not free on board. One has to buy an internet package.

On ships, wi-fi has a little bit different common usage than on land.

On land, if you go to starbucks, and they say they have 'free wifi'

you expect to connect to the wi-fi AND the internet at the same time.

On ships, there is free wi-fi, but to connect to the internet is an

added charge.

On the free wifi, you can connect to things on board the ship,

see a deck plan, review your cabin statement, etc.

From the free wi-fi, you can also access the 'real' internet.

There is a per-minute charge for this.

I'm sorry Sveltana my comment was not to you. It was for TwoBadKnees the OP.

Tony

Tony - it's got nothing to do with money. I get a lot of free minutes. If I can reduce my "footprint" it will make the internet "faster" for me and everyone else, including you. We can all help each other by not doing things that bog down the internet.

Tony - it's got nothing to do with money. I get a lot of free minutes. If I can reduce my "footprint" it will make the internet "faster" for me and everyone else, including you. We can all help each other by not doing things that bog down the internet.

Hi,

Why not just leave the computer at home and enjoy the holiday. Remember all of you who buy packages are just adding to the cruise line profits. Whether 1 or 1000 buy the cruise line is paying the same.

David

On afew cruises when I attempt to send or answer emails they get put in my outbox with a red exclamation point!??? They never send from the ship or from home. Thanks for any help, Karen

Which email provider are you using? With many you can only send email when you are logged into their servers which will not be the case when you are on a ship. Frequently you would need to use webmail rather than Outlook for example.

Which email program (client) are you using?

Hi,

Why not just leave the computer at home and enjoy the holiday. Remember all of you who buy packages are just adding to the cruise line profits. Whether 1 or 1000 buy the cruise line is paying the same.

David

They do want to enjoy the holiday. Others however can not resist using their "earned free" internet minutes just to post their live updates for us.