Radiance Dec3-16 Pacific: My best cruise yet! Questions welcome

Haoie

Why stop at children, I think we should ban old people as well.

NOTE: Old person being anyone older than 70 for the next 15-20 years and then we can re-assess the age limit to see if it get s pushed out by another ten years.

We should also ban people who drink more than me as they obviously cannot handle their alcohol.

How about we ban Bingo players as well as they really are quite loud and have their secret codes for when numbers get yelled out.

I think they should only be banned when it is clearly not in the school holidays. At the very least numbers should be capped to a far reduced number when it is not school holidays as there are adults who work with children who wish to go on holidays and be free from them. If adults pick school term to take a holiday it hardly seems fair to have a cruise ship full of children who clearly should be in school.

There does seem to be more and more people taking their kids out of school for holidays. I was surprised at how many kids there were on Carnival Legend and that cruise commenced mid-November.

Longer cruises have less kids, and many ships have adults-only pool areas. So far we've never really been annoyed by too many kids on a cruise although the ones running around Solstice late at night (10-11pm) last Chrismas came close. :rolleyes:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

There does seem to be more and more people taking their kids out of school for holidays. I was surprised at how many kids there were on Carnival Legend and that cruise commenced mid-November.

Longer cruises have less kids, and many ships have adults-only pool areas. So far we've never really been annoyed by too many kids on a cruise although the ones running around Solstice late at night (10-11pm) last Chrismas came close. :rolleyes:

I agree too many kids on some. The reason it effects me is because the main tourist season to drive tourists at Ayers Rock Resort is March to September and it is mainly seasonal. When I am not there I drive school buses and have to deal with hundreds of school children on a daily basis taking them to and from school as well as sports and excursions. As much as I like working with them I would appreciate a holiday away from them.

I am deliberately taking my two grand-daughters out of school for over a week to do a cruise in May, have no qualms at all about it. The price was a good deal cheaper than doing it during school holidays.

Which is why I think the system should be changed. Perhaps making children pay quadruple adult fare during school term would sort this out once and for all.

To The Complainers and the Anti-Children Brigade.

I almost cant be bothered, I think some people actually believe what they are saying. LOL.

I didn't know that children paid their own fares, I thought the vast majority would have had their fare paid for by their parents or grand-parents.

Wonders if half the people complaining, have been children once, what a truly pathetic attitude.

Have a good hard look at yourselves, and realise, you are OLD, way to early.

Realise cruise lines do not want you, you don't spend any MONEY.

Families spend ****e-loads.

Are you to blind to realise that your type of cruising is coming to a rapid end.

Its mega ships with all the fruit.

The choice is simple, want a cruise with no-kids, go cruise azamara or one of the small , expensive ships.

Oh sorry did I mention expensive.

Maybe some should take their grandies on a cruise, spend some money, share the love.

Radiance sounds like a great little ship, I hope I get the opportunity to sail on her at some time with or without with kids in tow.

Royal Caribbean is designed for families. There are many cruise lines that are not like Princess which will always have limitations on their ships and they do not have the theme park water slides like Royal Caribbean and I doubt that they ever will.

P&O UK goes to the extent of having adult only ships.

Many of the more up market lines and more expensive lines do not cater to families.

I am happy to go on Royal Caribbean ships for a holiday. I have relatives who are primary school age that would love to go one day as a large group over Christmas with the whole family which is currently in planning.

My only complaint as an individual is that there should not really be children out of the school holidays. Having done endless cruises I know many people will book out of the school holidays for this very reason to avoid children and many of them have had work that involves constant interaction with children so I do not think it is anything discriminatory, more wanting a break and a bit of peace and quiet.

It's all a fair point. I'm not a big fan of kids, but I understand it's part of travel, at all times of the year - not just school holidays.

It's not a big deal. Simply, if you REALLY have a problem with it, then avoid cruise lines that cater to families/children and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We cruised with our grandson early last December to Tasmania on Radiance and there were very few children onboard.

Not all states start holidays on the same date. Our grandson goes to a Christian College and the school year finishes early December.

This year at the same time we have just returned from Voyager as a family group with approx. 1200 children onboard. A lot of activities were Christmas themed and for the young and not so.

Had the most fabulous time. Loved the joy of the kids and young families.

If we want a quieter cruise we cruise Radiance Top End in October-Nov or earlier this year we recently enjoyed QE very much.

We cruised with our grandson early last December to Tasmania on Radiance and there were very few children onboard.

Not all states start holidays on the same date. Our grandson goes to a Christian College and the school year finishes early December.

This year at the same time we have just returned from Voyager as a family group with approx. 1200 children onboard. A lot of activities were Christmas themed and for the young and not so.

Had the most fabulous time. Loved the joy of the kids and young families.

If we want a quieter cruise we cruise Radiance Top End in October-Nov or earlier this year we recently enjoyed QE very much.

Yep, why we try to cruise in that week, when Mrs Gut has finished school and all the other schools are still in.

I think they should only be banned when it is clearly not in the school holidays. At the very least numbers should be capped to a far reduced number when it is not school holidays as there are adults who work with children who wish to go on holidays and be free from them. If adults pick school term to take a holiday it hardly seems fair to have a cruise ship full of children who clearly should be in school.

But there are school terms that overlap with holidays all over Australia let alone the world. Some kids are also home schooled so a blanket ban would still only affect several weeks each year.

But there are school terms that overlap with holidays all over Australia let alone the world. Some kids are also home schooled so a blanket ban would still only affect several weeks each year.

I know all about that. My point is that when I did Radiance of the Seas in December last year there were far too many children on board that would have to have been in school. It was only an 8 night cruise.

Our family is planning a large family Christmas cruise in the future so generally they do not bother me if I know what I am getting myself in for.

The best way to avoid children on ships is to out price them. Families do not spend money and are on tight budgets. It is very easy to go on a long cruise and families simply cannot afford to do it. Problem solved. I went to Japan in July this year and the fact that I could do a cruise in Japan immediately ruled out a low amount of children due to the prohibitive cost for families to get them there. Sure there were Japanese families on the ship with children but their children are much better disciplined and behave much more maturely than Australians ever would.

On Radiance last year when we stopped in Lifou there is Jinek Bay which costs $5 to snorkel in. Guess what. None of the families went there because it was far too expensive for them just to swim at a beach so all the families were by the pier and the people without children were at Jinek Bay.

Edited by Brisbane41

I know all about that. My point is that when I did Radiance of the Seas in December last year there were far too many children on board that would have to have been in school. It was only an 8 night cruise.

Our family is planning a large family Christmas cruise in the future so generally they do not bother me if I know what I am getting myself in for.

The best way to avoid children on ships is to out price them. Families do not spend money and are on tight budgets. It is very easy to go on a long cruise and families simply cannot afford to do it. Problem solved. I went to Japan in July this year and the fact that I could do a cruise in Japan immediately ruled out a low amount of children due to the prohibitive cost for families to get them there. Sure there were Japanese families on the ship with children but their children are much better disciplined and behave much more maturely than Australians ever would.

On Radiance last year when we stopped in Lifou there is Jinek Bay which costs $5 to snorkel in. Guess what. None of the families went there because it was far too expensive for them just to swim at a beach so all the families were by the pier and the people without children were at Jinek Bay.

I suppose the easiest solution is to only pick adult only cruises. As some people will take their kids/grandkids no matter what the cost.

The locals are trying to preserve the Jinek Bay reef, which is partly why there is a charge to snorkel there, plus they restrict numbers to 100 people in the morning and another 100 in the afternoon. Unfortunately there is no way to distinguish between serious snorkellers and the yobbos who can't swim properly so try to stand/walk on the reef when they get out of their depth. Fact! I yelled at one guy last time I was there. His excuse "the water's too deep!" :eek: :rolleyes:

That reef isn't really a suitable area for children to snorkel in, especially younger children.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ