Cheap, cheap or

MB60e

Lots of good answers already.

We always book a balcony. Our first cruise was in a Ocean View, then we got a great price on a balcony for the next cruise and don't want to go back.

How much you use a balcony will depend on the weather as well as scenery on the cruise.

Even an a transatatlantic, it is nice to read on the balcony and look for dolphins or sea birds.

If the weather is too cold or too hot, your use would be less. Still, for an Alaska cruise, I strongly recommend an aft balcony.

If the weather is nice, a balcony is wonderful.

Still, if too cold or hot, consider an ocean view, the price is usually between an inside and balcony. You still can see the ocean and scenery and it is nice to have the light coming into the room.

Still, nothing wrong with an inside if you are happy with that choice.

I think it depends on what you value in a vacation. We did OV before and decided that the balcony was a must for the next but it's subjective. The OV was fine, but it would've added a huge relaxation factor to be able to sit outside without leaving our room. Yes, there are quiet areas but none are truly private and you have to go through the crowds to get there.

I also may be in the minority that actually regretted packing our port days with excursions. We didn't get to experience the area and disliked being stuck to a schedule.

The great thing about cruising is that you can make it whatever you want it to be - just figure out what holds the most value to you personally!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

One very remote thing to consider is whether you would go crazy confined in an inside cabin. Our first cruise was a 14 day transatlantic with a very large group. Noro broke out on the ship and although we avoided it, some of our group were not so lucky and were quarantined in their cabins. Those with an inside said they would never sail with less than a balcony ever again as they needed the light and fresh air in the off chance they got sick again.

Inside cabin vs. Balcony is always a balance of personal preference and budget.

I am an inside cabin cruiser on about 15 cruises. The advantage of an inside is you will likely get great sleep. When the lights are off the cabin is dark (great for sleeping.) Also, if there is a storm you will not hear it. On more than a couple of cruises my fellow passengers complained about hearing the storms at night.

Look for an inside that is sandwiched between decks with cabins. Also, keep in mind the LOWER you are on the ship the less movement you will feel.

I would point out to you that the cheapest cabin is usually the inside guarantee. Under the current perk rules, you will not qualify. You may want to consider an inside where you can select your cabin and get a perk.

$700 is a significant difference. It goes a long way to pay for excursions or airfare to arrive at the port.

Also, on the tv in your cabin there is a channel that shows the webcam. I check it in the morning to see the weather.

Either choice you make will be a good one. Have fun!

If you are OK with an inside room, save your money and spend it on fun things. I personally like a balcony, but on some cruises I have used it all the time and on others, hardly at all.

I have read that some people keep the webcam on all night, so they can see the change in light in the morning.

So many people on these boards really encourage others to get suites. The suites are so expensive. You get the same experience as the rest of the ship once you leave your cabin and the Haven restaurant. I do not think they are worth the thousands of dollars extra.

What I would do if your torn is book the inside cabin and watch the prices on the balcony. This us what we did and eventually the price on the balcony dropped and we were able to call and upgrade for less than $300 for all three of us and the perks had changed so we were also able to get free gratuities as well. If the price doesnt drop then its not meant to be. You can save your money and have a wonderful vacation in an inside room.

What I would do if your torn is book the inside cabin and watch the prices on the balcony. This us what we did and eventually the price on the balcony dropped and we were able to call and upgrade for less than $300 for all three of us and the perks had changed so we were also able to get free gratuities as well. If the price doesnt drop then its not meant to be. You can save your money and have a wonderful vacation in an inside room.

Good suggestion!

Take the inside room and save the $700. If the room is bad or you really don't like it, the next cruise get a window, then a balcony.

I do promise you it is easier to go up than it would be to go down...

I don't think I could go to an inside from a balcony, but could possibly do a window from a balcony.

Consider an ocean view, the price is usually between an inside and balcony. You still can see the ocean and scenery and it is nice to have the light coming into the room.

We mostly book balconies but the last 2 NCL ships where we booked Ocean View ( Sky / Getaway), the head of the bed was under the window.

So yes, the light coming into the room was nice in the morning, and on a sea day you can see water and waves go by as the ship plies thru the water, but kneeling on the bed and peering out the 3X4 window in or near a port got old after about about 4 or 5 minutes.

Our last cruise we had an inside room. Before that, we always had JS or Balcony rooms.

I was nervous about the inside room for a couple reasons:

1. Not having a balcony

2. My DH sleeps later than I do and there is no plug in to dry my hair in the bathroom.

3. The size of the room

I did fine but it was a port intensive cruise. I'm not sure I would do it on a TA or TP.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Never would have got this shot from open deck as it was to crowded! Same with Alaska!

31447lx.jpg

You could have gotten a shot without the wires or cost of a cruise by just standing in Jetty Park. ;)

As far as Alaska, you can certainly get great shots from being on deck. You just have to book a ship that carries far fewer passengers than the behemoths.

How many will be in the room? We did an inside on the Dawn with 4 of us(2 kids) and the room is small for that many. It's one pull down and a rollaway in between the two lower beds. If it's 2 or 3, it would not be so bad.

I will always consider myself a budget traveler. I splurge on what's important to me and I have discovered that a particular room type is not important to me. I heard all the talk of once you have a balcony you never go back. When I had my first balcony I was less than impressed, hardly used it. Second balcony I didn't even bother to step out onto it. Now I don't bother with booking balconies. I book the lowest priced room and if I manage to snag an upgrade, that's great. I'm happy in studios, insides, ocean views. I don't consider a balcony to be worth the premium. Especially as a solo traveler. I think if I were traveling in pairs I would demand a balcony because it gives another layer of privacy when you have people living on top of one another.

You could have gotten a shot without the wires or cost of a cruise by just standing in Jetty Park. ;)

As far as Alaska, you can certainly get great shots from being on deck. You just have to book a ship that carries far fewer passengers than the behemoths.

Sure. That was our first cruise and the second to last shuttle launch!

Ship set sail 5 minutes after that picture was taken.

Also we live 1200 miles away and never had the chance to travel just to see a launch! I could not even think how it would have effected our vacation if we traveled 1200 miles to see a launch and they delayed it for a few weeks.

Don't book balcony's! Leaves us more choices and better prices!

I generally book an inside. However if the price is right I love a balcony. It is especially useful if you have different sleeping times or if someone is not feeling well. I read of two sisters sharing a balcony and one got the norm and both were quarantined for 3 days. The sister who was well said the balcony saved it for her. However 700 is too much for me regardless.

Coffee in the morning watching the ship sail into port. Seeing the coastlines come into view.

Sitting in fresh air while spouse is getting ready for dinner having a beverage.

Late night beverage in peace and quiet.

DW will not go back into anything but a balcony. Happy wife , happy life.