Assigned boarding times?

brichar499

Any update on the assigned check-in time procedure ? I have friends sailing out of Seattle at the end of August and they've received

an email from HAL with a check-in time schedule; they're eligible for the 1:00 check-in. I'm assuming another ship will be on the other side of the pier, so it'll be busy.

Should they wait until 1:00, or go earlier, as most of us are used to doing ? It's their first time on HAL. and they want to do the right thing.

Which ship?

Wow! Where have I been? This is the first time I have heard of this. Did a cruise last Oct/ Nov and I didn't see anything like that. Can you come later than your "assigned" check in? Since we live here in Florida's west coast and leave out of Ft Lauderdale we did our usual "leaving for the cruise" itinerary. We have my sis pick us up in her car and trailer (for the luggage) It was a long cruise 42 days and between the two couples we had 10 bags and two carry- ons. Got on the road somewhere around 9:30 am and I think it was about 11 am or so by the time we got to Ft Lauderdale. Went to our favorite restaurant and had a great lunch and a wonderful visit with the owner. We most likely got to the port sometime around 2 pm. Unloaded our bags right in front of the ship. Kissed and thanked my sis good - bye. Walked into the boarding area and about 10 minutes later headed for the ship. No one said anything about any scheduled boarding time. Maybe they didn't care since there was no one there when we went into the boarding area.

Now we did have a time to leave the ship. I think it was about 8:30 or 9 am. Went out to the boarding area grabbed a porter. He got all 10 or so bags on a cart with the 4 of us walking behind. Walked right up to customs and out on to the curb. Sis was just around the corner. She pulled up. The guys loaded the trailer and off we went.

What do they say: "Times are a changing"!!!

Standard procedure for Carnival ships is that "Part of the on-line check in process was to choose a check-in time" That is your time for being allowed into the terminal. They check boarding passes to see what your time is. You cannot get in earlier that your time but you can arrive any time after. When you actually check-in at the terminal you are given a Zone Number.

Boarding is by 1-weddings 2-diamond 3-Platnium 4-suites ...(these are supposed to pick a terminal entry time BUT may arrive any time and be let in) ... 5- other passengers called by assigned zone.

On a whim DW and I decided to take a Carnival cruise out of NOLA next month. Seems ALL CCL ships are doing this staggered arrival - it was phased in over time. Part of the on-line check in process was to choose a check-in time (not a requirement for us being in a suite--think Neptune, but we choose a 11am time).

These 30 periods go from 10:30 to 3pm with best times go to those who check in early. Early bird gets the worm - except for the exclusions I listed above.

Reading the Carnival threads it appears that you are not even allowed in the departure hall to check-in until your check-in time. They check boarding passes for entry

Also, wondering if, since they usually gather all the wheelchair folks together and board ahead of the crowd, they would assign HC cabins an earlier boarding time.

At least since last May - Wheelchair assistance is on a first come first served basis. The normally have 4 or 5 "pushers" and they take you in the order you arrive.

Wow! Where have I been? This is the first time I have heard of this. Did a cruise last Oct/ Nov and I didn't see anything like that.
We had assigned times on the K'dam out of FLL in Nov but not on the O'dam out of Tampa in Dec.

• 1 year later...
On 12/19/2016 at 12:43 PM, Cruising-along said:

Some of us have to check out of our hotels by 11:00. I would much rather sit at the pier than in the hotel lobby with our bags. (and I wouldn't complain). 😉

I don't think waiting at the terminal is an issue. However, I think they are saying you probably won't board until your given time. I was given 1:00pm but will arrive before that because we need to check out of the hotel by noon. 

3 hours ago, Sail or sale said:

I don't think waiting at the terminal is an issue. However, I think they are saying you probably won't board until your given time. I was given 1:00pm but will arrive before that because we need to check out of the hotel by noon. 

Since this thread is 2 years old, I had to go back and read it again to refresh my memory, lol.  As others said, we can ask for a later check-out (I've never done that but certainly would if it would help). Since this thread was started 2 years ago, I've reached 4-star with priority boarding, so that's another change for me since this was written.  🙂  I believe newer threads have stated that only some ships are doing this, so that's another consideration.