NCL gift cards

lcas

Do not buy anyone a Ncl gift card.

My son and DIL purchased for our bday in Oct to use on our Nov 7 cruise. Should have gotten it before we sailed. They called customer service, and said to check our mailbox a few days into our cruise and email me the card number. Did not arrive. I received this card DEC 2! A month after the cruise and 2 months after they purchased it. I can not do anything with this gift card. Can only use on NCL or their stores. no help what do ever with customer service. All they say they are sorry. $100 waste. Very disappointed.

Just resell the gift card.

I wonder what happened? I've purchased them several times, and they always arrive when they say they will, if not earlier. That's so weird, but definitely not the norm. I'm sorry it happened. Gift cards can be resold though, so no one is out any money.

Fwiw...the gifter of the card should have been purchasing you an obc not a gift card in the first place and requested Ncl to just put pre purchased obc on your account.

No need for any physical gift card in the first place

Why don't people think ?

Why don't people think, you ask? Personally, I would much rather have a gift card than OBC. Different strokes, I guess. I even buy gift cards for myself instead of OBC. Edited by LrgPizza

I wonder what happened? I've purchased them several times, and they always arrive when they say they will, if not earlier. That's so weird, but definitely not the norm. I'm sorry it happened. Gift cards can be resold though, so no one is out any money.

Why don't people think, you ask? Personally, I would much rather have a gift card than OBC. Different strokes, I guess. I even buy gift cards for myself instead of OBC.

Resell to who? On a website that will charge a fee?

I know all about reselling gift cards and I recently bought a clothing store $100 card for $62 with no problem but honestly why should the op have to even bother and why should they get less than $100?

Ncl dropped the ball

Or and this is very possible...

They didn't print it at purchase and didn't follow up appropriately

Fwiw....really the op should have handled this before the cruise so they wouldn't be complaining now. Lol

I just don't understand why people can't take care of issues like this rather than complain and then just seem to accept that they are out $100

Time to figure this stuff out OP because you will only be out $100 if you let yourself be out $100

I know I wouldn't be out $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Why don't people think, you ask? Personally, I would much rather have a gift card than OBC. Different strokes, I guess. I even buy gift cards for myself instead of OBC.

Assuming the ops cruise was fully paid why do you think her kids even bought her the card?

To use onboard I would think

Obc would serve the same purpose in this posters scenario

However the easiest thing to do is either call Ncl and get it refunded

Or

Dispute the charge

Edited by luvtheships

That really stinks! I just purchased one for my onlaws foe Christmas. It did take about two weeks to arrive which I thought was a long time. Do you plan on not cruising NCL again? Can you just save for next cruise? That is what I would do.

OP, sorry people here are being so harsh. NCL's behavior is crazy. At the minimum, when you called prior to sailing they should have been able to look the card up, cancel it, and issue you credit. It's a good takeaway to do OBC instead of a gift card. I've purchased OBC for my cruise but I logged in and had it applied directly to my account, not sure what the process is for purchasing OBC for someone else but I'm assuming they didn't know either and that's why they did the gift card. There's no reason for the card to take two months for it to arrive and again, they should have been able to look the number up either way so you could use it.

Last year my son purchased us an NCL gift card for Christmas. He was told it would arrive in a week. We got it in February. Luckily our cruise wasn't until October. It did take a longtime to arrive, so I do understand the OPs frustration.

sanger727...

Glad someone here seems to understand w/o any sarcasm. Im posting as a warning for others not to purchase a gift card from NCL. MY DIL saw it was possible on their web page and was thoughtful to think of us before our cruise.

Edited by lcas

I've purchased OBC for my cruise but I logged in and had it applied directly to my account, not sure what the process is for purchasing OBC for someone else but I'm assuming they didn't know either and that's why they did the gift card.

You can buy OBC for people right on the website if you know their name, ship and sailing date. I've done it done my parents a bunch of times. Once the website was done so I just called and did it over the phone in a few minutes. The gift card is a completely different process.

Dispute the charge

So why aren't they?

https://www.ncl.com/giftcard

SHIPPING INFORMATION

For standard shipping, please allow 10-14 business days for orders to arrive. For expedited shipping, please allow 7 business days for orders to arrive. Please note that shipping times are estimates and cannot be guaranteed. Gift card orders are non-refundable and cannot be cancelled.

And the giftcard order itself is not tied to a specific cruise. Worth a try to dispute but I wouldn't get my hopes up. The giftcard was received. Who's to say it wasn't received before the cruise and the OP just forgot to use it? Then what? Not saying that happened, but I can see how it could be a tricky "dispute".