Regal Princess: what happened to the food?

ibfern

Regal Princess: what happened to the menus and food Quality?

What happened to the menus and food? The options are drastically different on the Regal, I am quite surprised. This is a chaotic cruise, as are all holiday cruises, the food choices have been reduced and the quality has gone down. I'm no foodie but I know when chicken is not cooked properly, last night my Chicken was pink and there was sauce on half of the meat making the presentation awful. I noticed that they had sweet potato fries on the menu and asked for them, and they came cold and uncooked. OK, it happens, I asked for another plate of the same and my chicken was again pink in the middle, the sauce was piled high in one side and the rest of the chicken was naked. My sweet potato fries were again cold and uncooked! Bummer.

On one hand it is nice to see new choices, but I miss the old standards--there was no spring rolls on the first night, and no pasta choices. A few months ago on the Crown we had the the normal menus but this is a completely different experience. I asked for extra broccoli and did not get it. In combination with the poorly cooked chicken and sweet potato fries this added up to a major disappointment.

I have experienced this downward trend in food during the first few days of several past cruises including last years Love Boat cruise on the Pacific. On that cruise the food improved as the cruise went on so I am hopeful that this too will happen. I know holiday cruises are tough on the staff, but uncooked chicken is unhealthy and the last thing I need is to get sick from poorly cooked food.

I'm onboard for 21 days and hope things improve in the dining room. This is my first time on this ship, the staff seem a bit stressed, as if they expect the worse. This is a bad way to embrace your customers, if you think the best you get the best and vice versa. I expect my food to be cooked properly, plated pleasingly, and served with a smile. Come on Princess, I paid a lot of money for this Christmas cruise and don't expect miracles, just eatable food. The one bonus is that this could be a boon to my diet! There is always an upside.

All the best to all of my Cruise Critic friends,

Amelia

OMG we just got off the Regal on Dec 11th and my hubby thought the food was out of this world! We both love the buffet, the choices were crazy there was so much. We ate MDR 4 nights and buffet 3 nights. Food could not have been better and choices out of this world! Presentation in the buffet was gorgeous, staff super attentive. Same with the MDR. We did Anytime and never waited and service was fast so did not have to sit all night.

Maybe yours was a weird thing, b/c ours could not have been any better. It was amazing.

Regal Princess: what happened to the menus and food Quality?

What happened to the menus and food? The options are drastically different on the Regal, I am quite surprised. This is a chaotic cruise, as are all holiday cruises, the food choices have been reduced and the quality has gone down. I'm no foodie but I know when chicken is not cooked properly, last night my Chicken was pink and there was sauce on half of the meat making the presentation awful. I noticed that they had sweet potato fries on the menu and asked for them, and they came cold and uncooked. OK, it happens, I asked for another plate of the same and my chicken was again pink in the middle, the sauce was piled high in one side and the rest of the chicken was naked. My sweet potato fries were again cold and uncooked! Bummer.

On one hand it is nice to see new choices, but I miss the old standards--there was no spring rolls on the first night, and no pasta choices. A few months ago on the Crown we had the the normal menus but this is a completely different experience. I asked for extra broccoli and did not get it. In combination with the poorly cooked chicken and sweet potato fries this added up to a major disappointment.

I have experienced this downward trend in food during the first few days of several past cruises including last years Love Boat cruise on the Pacific. On that cruise the food improved as the cruise went on so I am hopeful that this too will happen. I know holiday cruises are tough on the staff, but uncooked chicken is unhealthy and the last thing I need is to get sick from poorly cooked food.

I'm onboard for 21 days and hope things improve in the dining room. This is my first time on this ship, the staff seem a bit stressed, as if they expect the worse. This is a bad way to embrace your customers, if you think the best you get the best and vice versa. I expect my food to be cooked properly, plated pleasingly, and served with a smile. Come on Princess, I paid a lot of money for this Christmas cruise and don't expect miracles, just eatable food. The one bonus is that this could be a boon to my diet! There is always an upside.

All the best to all of my Cruise Critic friends,

Amelia

You are way better off in the buffet.

We've been on the Regal 3 different times. The first 2 the food was outstanding all around MDR, Horizon court, Lido. The most recent sailing last month we noticed right away that the food wasn't up to the previous sailings.

When I inquired as to what was up with the selection and quality I was told they had just recently changed the head chef. I checked the patters from that cruise to our last cruise and sure enough different chef. Needless to say we didn't gain any weight last cruise lol :confused:.

We've been on the Regal 3 different times. The first 2 the food was outstanding all around MDR, Horizon court, Lido. The most recent sailing last month we noticed right away that the food wasn't up to the previous sailings.

When I inquired as to what was up with the selection and quality I was told they had just recently changed the head chef. I checked the patters from that cruise to our last cruise and sure enough different chef. Needless to say we didn't gain any weight last cruise lol :confused:.

The funny thing is that people seem to care more about who the CD will be on their next voyage rather than the head chef. :D

(not that you can actually find out who it will be)

Hi everybody,

The food improved last night, a formal night. It must be that it takes a few days to get it together, i was happy and even apologized for making a stink (yes I did report that but I was a little off putting:)!

The menus are very different than just a few months ago, I missed met springrolls!

It's hectic here as there are more than 500 kids on board but they all seem well behaved and my teacher face only came out once, and that was for some unruly adults.

I guess I'll start a live, no sense in blogging on a bad food thread. I do miss all my friends here and have been super busy buying and selling our homes.

Stay tuned...

We were on the Regal for a Bon Voyage Experience earlier this month. The lunch we had in the dining room was wonderful. I ordered the beef medallions and DH had the chicken. The beef was much better than what I had the week before on the CB.

Hi everybody,

The food improved last night, a formal night. It must be that it takes a few days to get it together, i was happy and even apologized for making a stink (yes I did report that but I was a little off putting:)!

The menus are very different than just a few months ago, I missed met springrolls!

It's hectic here as there are more than 500 kids on board but they all seem well behaved and my teacher face only came out once, and that was for some unruly adults.

I guess I'll start a live, no sense in blogging on a bad food thread. I do miss all my friends here and have been super busy buying and selling our homes.

Stay tuned...

Oh Amelia I am absolutely staying tuned for a live blog ...

500 children! OMGosh! Is the Regal as big as Sapphire or smaller like Dawn? I sure hope big like Sapphire! More places to hide :D

So glad the meals have improved - I can't believe that they could serve uncooked chicken! :eek: Imagine how sick you would have been! Oh it's horrible just thinking about it!

Smooth seas, comfortable beds, happy days and safe travel.

PS: Say hi to Ken, Chris and Pat for us

My food issues were attended to, in case I left you hanging and you didn't see my response. I am a bit trepidatious about the MDR which seems like an endless sea of stressed servers, although I can understand this with all the holiday cruisers on the ship.

On the one hand I am happy to see changes in the menus, but I do miss some of the old standards like those yummy spring rolls. And yes the pasta is now on the left side of the menus. I'll try to snap some photos of these new menus if anybody interested.

Happy holidays to all,

Amelia

I just got off of the regal on Sunday and I thought the majority of food was really good. Try the Horizon Court/Bistro options. I thought the food was REALLY good up there and you didnt need to wait forever and a day in the MDR. That was my only complaint of this ship, was the MDR was SLOW and the waitstaff were over staffed and very crazy busy. We ate in the MDR 4 nights of the 7 and the last night our waiter kind of forgot about us and it took 2 hours to get the food-and it was so so. Another night, we had just sat down and a party of 18 split between two tables sat down and our waiter was in charge of that section. But then someone took over one of the tables because it took to be too much. So, I agree when you say they are understaffed.

and 500 kids, that is NUTS! The waiter on our last night said he was dreading the next two cruises. I think on our cruise was like 40-50 kids. Not very many, so it was nice!

Have a great cruise, we did on the Regal! PS try the fettucini, it is out fo this world!

I just got off of the regal on Sunday and I thought the majority of food was really good. Try the Horizon Court/Bistro options. I thought the food was REALLY good up there and you didnt need to wait forever and a day in the MDR. That was my only complaint of this ship, was the MDR was SLOW and the waitstaff were over staffed and very crazy busy. We ate in the MDR 4 nights of the 7 and the last night our waiter kind of forgot about us and it took 2 hours to get the food-and it was so so. Another night, we had just sat down and a party of 18 split between two tables sat down and our waiter was in charge of that section. But then someone took over one of the tables because it took to be too much. So, I agree when you say they are understaffed.

and 500 kids, that is NUTS! The waiter on our last night said he was dreading the next two cruises. I think on our cruise was like 40-50 kids. Not very many, so it was nice!

Have a great cruise, we did on the Regal! PS try the fettucini, it is out fo this world!

Nice rerview.

We were on the Regal Princess 12/4/16 for 7 day Caribbean cruise

Unlike you, we found the MDR (TD 5:45 am. seating) to be understaffed, and our waiter and a.w. were new on the Regal, and still getting use to the Regal"s MDR. We had slow service only on night 1 (30 minutes to get appetizers served), then service was fine thereafter. Excellent and attentive waiter and a.w. BTW.

There was plenty of variety on the nightly menus, as well as having the same old "always available" standbys for those less adventurous.

Agree, the HC and HC Bistro had many interesting ethnic offerings, as well as regular, and "salt-free" offerings. Regular deserts, as well as "sugar free:, and "nut free" desserts. :)

We noticed less than 20 minors on our cruise, very well mannered and well supervised by their parents. :p Young adults 20 to 30 something's were party people, but not rowdy. :cool: We did not notice any drunks, other than one night in the Princess Theater a couple of loud and offensive older 50's or 60's (?) PAX's spouting off about Donald Trump. :eek:

Otherwise, a nice bunch of courteous PAX on this cruise :)

One issue was the Princess Theater. It's beautiful, but unlike the smaller like Star, Golden, CrownPrincess ships, there are no folding tables attached to the seats. This encouraged many PAX to leave there empty glasses on the floor, during, and after the performance, causing what I think is a safety hazard. Also observed plenty of "seat hogs", saving more than 3+ emply seats. There were ushers, but still plenty of "seat hogs". Advise arriving at least 30 minutes prior to the performance if you want good seats together.

All in all, a great first time cruise sailing on the Regal Princess. Although larger than ships we usually sail on, we never felt crowded. We enjoyed the ship so much, were booked on Regal and Royal for cruises 2017 and 2018. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

It's VERY obvious here that food is sooooo subjective! I have been saying this the last 26 years since I started cruising..I have been a cruise agent for 18 years now & sailed on 33 cruises, with the Regal on 1/ 8 to be our 34th..we have cruised on RCI 14x, Carnival 6x, NCL 5X, Disney 2x, HAL, Celebrity, & Celebration 1 each, and this will be our 4th Princess cruise...so, needless to say, we have sampled a LOT of different cuisines...

When people ask me about food on cruise ships I have a few sayings I repeat..first, I tell them my motto: If you want to eat, go to the buffet..if you want to eat better, go to the MDR ( main dining room)..if you want to dine, & enjoy quality food, in a romantic setting, try a specialty restaurant..in my experience, I have NEVER ( repeat- never) walked out of a meal in the MDR & said, "wow- that was AMAZING..can't wait for tomorrow night!" ..I have said, "That was pretty good" ,or "decent" or my meal was "pretty good"...I compare MDR food to catered food, like at a wedding..it's tough to feed 1000-1500 people at one sitting & have it "fantastic", or "wonderful"..consider this: I have been to maybe 25-30 wedding type functions and 90% of them the food was mediocre to "OK" ...best MDR I thought was on Disney, and Celebrity was pretty good, too..our last RCI Oasis cruise Oct 2014 was VERY good every night..BUT, again food is very subjective- what you think is good, others may think is terrible...

It also depends what you order..I never order any chicken mostly because we eat chicken 2-3x a week, and it's so pedestrian, you can get chicken anywhere & I don't find it terribly exciting..I have never ordered chicken in a restaurant EXCEPT in Disney's Palo brunch on the Disney Dream, where the waitress told me to try the chicken parmesan and I'm still trying to recover from it 3 years later!! Best chicken I have ever tasted anywhere ...best brunch we ever had, BTW..I almost had to call the medics half way thru the meal,lol..also, I have never eaten in the buffet for dinner, mostly because I want dinner to be special, and I want to be served..and I LOVE buffets, and we thought the Regal's was very good, second again to the Disney Dream, which featured Coconut Fried Shrimp ( my fav) and Shrimp Cocktail every day in the buffet...I stick with things like prime rib, lobster tails, shrimp, meatloaf, lamb, etc..I find most pastas are too bland, but that's me..

We like dining in specialty restaurants not because of only the food, which we feel is 100% better ( and the choices & sides are MUCH better IMO), but we like the ambiance much more- instead of dining with 1000-1500 people in a loud, bright & VERY busy room, we dine with 20-60 people in low lighting, much more quiet & romantic ( there's NOTHING romantic about dining with 1500 other people & 200 waiters running around in a loud room with bright lights IMO..) and a handful of waiters ( usually the best of the best) to serve you...Princess needs to have more options in this area where NCL excels the most IMO with 25 dining options on the newer ships like the Escape, Getaway & Breakaway , or RCI's Anthem Of The Seas with 18 dining options, or the Oasis ships ( new Harmony has 15)...we think $15-30 PP for a great meal is pretty fair ( same meals at home are $50-100 easily..), and we plan to eat in the Crown Grill, and maybe Sabatinis on the Regal, though I will say I don't think the Crown Grill is anywhere as good as other steak houses on other ships...variety is the spice of life, especially for dining I say...and if something is over/ under cooked OR tastes awful, send it back! You have paid for the food, and it should be at least edible, right?? JMHO...Happy Cruising & holidays to all!!

Big Al