Leaving Friday and daughter fractured foot

bnorris10

So we got her crutches and her walking boot she has to stay on crutches for at least another week - After a few phone calls I was able to find the mobility place and rent her a scoot for the week and they will leave it in the cabin and we leave it when she is done

So we are okay for her on the boat and we are good in Nassau as I know the area well and know she will be okay on the scooter when she is getting off the boat and even if she just uses crutches we would not be going very far from port

Cozumel we are taking taxi to our excursion which is pretty much a beach day so not worried there as she will just bring her crutches

I reached out to our excursion guide for the one we booked

But in Grand Cayman we have never been and I heard there was a lot to do by walking around right off the boat and just wondering if this area is okay to ride the scooter around in

By 'scoot' do you mean a scooter or a knee-walker? If a scooter, do you realize that it might not fit through the doorway to the cabin? EM

Scooter - It's the mobility company that works with the cruise line so I am sure it should fit fine

Scooter - It's the mobility company that works with the cruise line so I am sure it should fit fine

Did you tell the company that you do not have an accessible cabin? They may have just assumed you do, and scooter may not fit through the door. EM

I have to agree with what others are saying here.

I'm just going to bring a couple of pointers here:

you want to go to a beach = sand. Q: have you ever tried to use crutches on a sandy beach... man it is tough.

Regular scooters don't fit through regular doorways, as EM says, they're too wide.

Have you considered a knee walker? many rave about how easy moving about is with one. If your daughter is young enough, could you carry her over sand or is she too heavy?

My concern is, you may find it very difficult, what with sandy beaches and tenders, for your daughter and it may put a damper on the whole cruise.

If it were my daughter, I'd likely arrange for a knee walker (I've seen them in use and they really do work well), also, unless you're able to assist your daughter a lot, I'd avoid a sandy beach unless there's a walkway right to your destination.

I know the last thing you want to do as a parent is cause more problems for your daughter so just bringing up some points you may not be aware.

Enjoy the cruise,

Cheers,

As the kind others have mentioned, the scooter will most certainly NOT fit in your cabin unless you get a handicapped cabin. It's worth a phone call to see if MSC can accommodate you. Otherwise; the scooter will sit outside in the hallway with the 100's of other scooters that do not fit in cabins :). We were surrounded by scooters in YC, it was somewhat comical how they were lined up in the hallway.

In cozumel I recommend a pedicab to the taxi as the pier is huge if you are docked at the end. Maybe an open air taxi tour instead of the beach? I wouldn't want to lay at the beach if I couldn't go in the water, but your daughter might be totally fine with that. There will be a tender in Grand Cayman. They may not even allow her on the tender in crutches, so double check that before you purchase an excursion.

The other option (which I am sure you'd rather avoid) is to cancel entirely, collect your trip insurance, and plan for spring break when she can take full advantage of the trip. I'm certain everyone would be covered under Trip Insurance as long as she is a minor.

Such a bummer, but I wish you all the best whatever you decide... and a speedy recovery to your girl.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

As the kind others have mentioned, the scooter will most certainly NOT fit in your cabin unless you get a handicapped cabin. It's worth a phone call to see if MSC can accommodate you. Otherwise; the scooter will sit outside in the hallway with the 100's of other scooters that do not fit in cabins :). We were surrounded by scooters in YC, it was somewhat comical how they were lined up in the hallway.

In cozumel I recommend a pedicab to the taxi as the pier is huge if you are docked at the end. Maybe an open air taxi tour instead of the beach? I wouldn't want to lay at the beach if I couldn't go in the water, but your daughter might be totally fine with that. There will be a tender in Grand Cayman. They may not even allow her on the tender in crutches, so double check that before you purchase an excursion.

The other option (which I am sure you'd rather avoid) is to cancel entirely, collect your trip insurance, and plan for spring break when she can take full advantage of the trip. I'm certain everyone would be covered under Trip Insurance as long as she is a minor.

Such a bummer, but I wish you all the best whatever you decide... and a speedy recovery to your girl.

I am okay with the scooter being in the hallway as long as she can access it when she needs it

My daughter would not go in the beach even if her leg was not in the boot so she will be okay - the only thing its preventing her from doing is getting in the pool but we actually found something that cover a boot but she would rather just hang out relaxing in the sun - we are gonna bring the ipad so she can watch movies and we got a cabana bed thingy at the excursion we chose - we have not planned for anything yet on grand cayman so we will find out about that when we get on the boat

ty for tip on pedicab i did not think about that

not planning on canceling - as we are all looking forward to this trip

Please heed all those recommending a knee scooter! It is super easy to zip around on, no learning curve as there is with crutches, no pain in the arms and underarms....

Your local hospital store will probably have them to rent, and I'm sure there are online resources as well. We purchased ours because we knew odds were that someone in the family would need it again in the future ...

Here is a link to Amazon.

Only downside is you can't do stairs with it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=knee+scooter&tag=googhydr-20&index=hpc&hvadid=65980056327&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12804803792295936448&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010543&hvtargid=kwd-1602232467&ref=pd_sl_7dpslu7lmp_e